+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The influence of an icon

The influence of an icon

For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.

http://thelonegunmanblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: The influence of an icon

Excellent read Dave, thanks for that

You cannot remember your first LP, or even 2nd.......

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 07:03
    For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 08:50
    Lots of people think that of Bowie without ever really listening to his stuff. One of the first icons to die since george Harrison I reckon.

I enjoyed that, thanks.

The Berlin trilogy are albums that showed how on the pulse Bowie was. He was a genius no doubts. Neu and Kraftwork material was only slowly making its way across Europe. Bowie took the Berlin scene and made for me three albums that were his most influential pieces. It was only reading a newspaper article that I found out that only Low was recorded in Berlin, not that the really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:23
    When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Ah, I'm narrow minded then !!

When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Why would he listen to his music if he doesn't like it? It would be like telling my grandparents to expand their mind and listen to Gangsta rap.

We tend to take things for granted until they're not there anymore. A huge loss. Lazarus seems to be everywhere right now, a fantastic track and a great way to bow out

First Team

A very thoughtful bit of writing.
    Whilst not a Bowie fan I did enjoy some of his stuff but his main contribution, for me, is how he influenced others.
    Certainly, bands I did enjoy hugely have referenced him as important in their musical direction.
    Even when disregarding the OTT tributes that get issued when someone dies Bowie is undeniably one of the most ground breaking and influential artists of his generation.

I think part of the problem, to a lot of people, is that people took time to appreciate the new direction that his creativity went into. As an example, I've had a listen to his new album and tbh I'm not keen, however it will probably grow on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVgk7wYeZHw

Feedback

I don't get hero worship at all. However that's not to say that Bowie didn't have a significant influence on many artists. to say he had an influence on music is quite a statement and not one I buy into, if only because music is so wide ranging. In my opinion, when people say artists such as Bowie made a huge impact on music, they tend to refer to the music they appreciate (or at least similar genres). In that respect Bowie was hugely influential and to have artists such as Robert Smith and Brett Anderson whose musical releases were a generation apart come out and say that he had such an impact on their own musical direction, for me says the type of musicians who Bowie influenced greatest.

Great piece, well written

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 10:02
    By the way, am I the only person in the world who liked Tin Machine? I sometimes think I am!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 10:20
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !
    Nah, Under The God is a brilliant tune

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:39
    Phonics are playing ccs this summer I hear.....

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 10:20
    Reeves Gabrels - unorthodox and underrated guitarist.

Alternatively, here's the view of a Welsh music writer, penned almost four years to the day before DB's passing:

http://www.hoofindan.co.uk/online/david-bowie-wizard-oddball s/

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:05
    I'm quite the opposite tbh.
    Fripp was a great too

Good article and spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:12
    Alternatively, here's the view of a Welsh music writer, penned almost four years to the day before DB's passing:
    That's a bit more how I see it. I don't know if it's an age thing but when I remember growing up in the 80's he just seemed like a weird old man.

I find it amusing the usual reactionary right wingers on here all say the same.
    Incapable of thinking outside the box. What a boring lives they lead.

Definitely a part of the fabric of my younger days. Panic in Detroit in the Lex and dancing to Heroes in the Function Suite at Nero's. Saw him a couple of times in 1983 on his Serious Moonlight tour where he was very showbiz. Would love to have seen him during the Ziggy era. His Berlin trilogy of albums, though, are my favs.