+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The influence of an icon

Re: The influence of an icon

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 08:50
    For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 07:03
    You sound like a barrel of laughs

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:05
    For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 10:20
    http://thelonegunmanblog.blogspot.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 10:02
    When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !
    I'm quite the opposite tbh.
    Now with the Cure

Page 2 of messages and still no mention of Bowies game changing
    The Laughing Gnome that was a fantastic top 10 hit in 1973 cementing the comedy gnome as part of his Ziggy Starburke persona.

When Bowie announced the set list for his Sound and Vision 1990 tour would be decided by fans he was humiliated to find The Laughing Gnome topped the voting and shat himself .......abandoning the idea that his fans should have any input.
    That man truly fell to Earth but hey the pretentious farts from the 1970s still try to make people believe he was something special.....although in fairness Bowie was a big fan of Hitler and prone to the Heil Hitler salute so maybe they loved the facist thing that he stood for.
    Just some old forgotten musician from the 70s and 80s who hadnt performed live in the past decade because he was a has been.

Don,t believe the old farts who are desperate to pretend otherwise.

One person telling then to get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Johnny wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 21:51
    Whilst Bowie was influential in the field of pop and rock and made some great music, he also took his influences from other artists and genres too. Like The Velvet Underground, Scott Walker, Philadelphia soul, Krautrock, Jungle etc.
    He was indeed a cultural and musical Magpie.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 23:54
    As for David Bowie being a forgotten musician from the Seventies and Eighties, you may be interested to learn that every solo studio album he produced from 1971 to 2016 (and there were 22 of them in total) was a top ten hit, including four in the Nineties and four in the new millennium. Three of those reached the top of the album charts. Not bad for a has-been, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sat, 16 January 2016 09:05
    The Laughing Gnome that was a fantastic top 10 hit in 1973 cementing the comedy gnome as part of his Ziggy Starburke persona.
    I worry about some people who seem to roam freely in the same society as me, Sidney, I don't think I've ever read so much guff on here, and in 16 years that's quite an accolade. As you were a red lover maybe you've had a breakdown on realising the error of your ways....Well done

So, therefore Sidney, please do tell, who are your favourite artist or artists so we can all rip the piss out of them??

Quote Originally Posted by October '68 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2016 12:37
    Imagine not remembering you had recorded Golden Years or the brilliant version of Wild is the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie wrote on Sat, 16 January 2016 12:53
    Quote Originally Posted by October '68 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2016 12:37
    When Bowie announced the set list for his Sound and Vision 1990 tour would be decided by fans he was humiliated to find The Laughing Gnome topped the voting and shat himself .......abandoning the idea that his fans should have any input.
    Of the dozens or so versions I have heard of Wild Is The Wind, his is without doubt my favourite

Banned

I saw him once in Berlin,unfortunately i was too drunk to remember if i enjoyed the gig.

RIP Thin White Duke

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone wrote on Sat, 16 January 2016 19:20
    All good. No biggy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 13:21
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:41
    Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:23
    When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !
    Each to their own and all that but you need to be able to expand your mind a bit.
    Smacks of being, like what I like or you don't understand it sort of mentality. Not sure if that's a "shit analogy" from my part or just arrogance from elsewhere.

http://newsthump.com/2016/01/12/man-declares-everyone-stupid -for-mourning-david-bowie-awaits-medal/

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost wrote on Sun, 17 January 2016 14:15
    Quite