+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The influence of an icon

Re: The influence of an icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:39
    I find it amusing the usual reactionary right wingers on here all say the same.
    Do you expect everyone to like the same stuff you do? You should try some of that "thinking outside the box" malarky.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:35
    Alternatively, here's the view of a Welsh music writer, penned almost four years to the day before DB's passing:
    Quote Originally Posted by blue sky wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:12
    I was too young for 70's Bowie so my first taste of current Bowie was Scary Monsters, which still stands up well against anything else he released. Lets Dance, while a massive seller hasn't aged well and the less said about the next two albums the better.

probably because we have a brain, whereas you have a box..

Enjoyed that, and concur entirely.

His influence was indeed massive.

Sometimes the influence is undeniably clear, and sometimes less directly obvious by the time that influence has been passed on and on a few times, but he was the root of so much throughout 70's and certainly 80's (not so much what he was doing in the 80's, more his legacy from the 70's).

I think it is safe to say that his iconic musical and stylistic personas led tothe birth of 'New Romantics' and so much of the style, sound and feel of the early 80's -

'Bowie Nights' at Billy's :
    http:// www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2013/jan/25/bowie-nights-b illys-club-pictures

As others have noted , many current bands - youngsters - still cite Bowie as a direct influence, and no doubt indirectly also.

I still hear a fair number of Bowie covers by current artists.
    His older material still has mileage and relevance.

I wasn't a big Bowie fan but I was - and still am - a massive Junglist. I hadn't listened to Bowie's take on D&B for years but it is a very competent and danceable track:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UT2oqEHwvUY

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:41
    For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:23
    http://thelonegunmanblog.blogspot.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 08:50
    When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 07:03
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !
    That's a shit analogy.

For the first time in around three and a half years, I've felt sufficiently inspired to write a piece for my blog. It's about David Bowie and his influence on the music that I love. I hope you find it worth reading.
    Have you considered that, maybe, you're wrong?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 13:21
    When the new came that Bowie had died, I mused that I never really liked his 'work'. By the end of the day having been unable to avoid his music on every station, I had come to the opinion that I quite detested it.
    Scores of people saying how he changed music, their lives, history, for ever - get a grip !
    Each to their own and all that but you need to be able to expand your mind a bit.
    Not really. Bowie is specific to a certain genre and any crossover from that. I doubt bowie has influenced many in bangra or jazz and both genres form a huge part of the global music scene.

Explains TLG and his love of Spiders maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 08:46
    You cannot remember your first LP, or even 2nd.......
    The first was definitely Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols. The second was either Changesonebowie or No More Heroes by the Stranglers. I can't remember which, but in fairness it was a very long time ago.

I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:36
    The Berlin trilogy are albums that showed how on the pulse Bowie was. He was a genius no doubts. Neu and Kraftwork material was only slowly making its way across Europe. Bowie took the Berlin scene and made for me three albums that were his most influential pieces. It was only reading a newspaper article that I found out that only Low was recorded in Berlin, not that the really matters.
    I'll be honest - I'm not a big fan of the so-called Berlin trilogy. All three albums contain some great songs, but in my opinion they also contain some weak stuff and I'm not at all keen on most of the instrumental tracks.

Good article TLG btw

Alternatively, here's the view of a Welsh music writer, penned almost four years to the day before DB's passing:
    Does writing a couple of online articles on music mean you can be classified as a music writer? I ask because this particular journalist actually writes a weekly column for the Sunday Sport about computer games - something I'm sure all budding music journalists to aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 16:03
    Bowie is specific to a certain genre.....
    Really? Which genre is that?

Biggest load of crap i have ever read

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 11:51
    Incapable of thinking outside the box. What a boring lives they lead.
    Exactly everyone is different, there are actually real people that watch X factor, the voice and soap opera's etc....scary mo foes

Each to their own and all that but you need to be able to expand your mind a bit.
    Lots of people think that of Bowie without ever really listening to his stuff. One of the first icons to die since george Harrison I reckon.
    My god you couldn't be more wrong there, people from all walks of life saying how his creative talent and pushing boundaries influenced them to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 09:57
    A very thoughtful bit of writing.
    excellent piece BTW TLG.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 17:44
    Bowie is specific to a certain genre.....
    Really? Which genre is that?
    Fair point. It's quite wide ranging. What I should have said was that not every genre was influenced by bowie

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 20:20
    Lots of people think that of Bowie without ever really listening to his stuff. One of the first icons to die since george Harrison I reckon.
    Why would he listen to his music if he doesn't like it? It would be like telling my grandparents to expand their mind and listen to Gangsta rap.
    Encouraging people to push boundaries isn't the same as influencing their music either.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 20:41
    Quote Originally Posted by goats wrote on Fri, 15 January 2016 20:20
    Why would he listen to his music if he doesn't like it? It would be like telling my grandparents to expand their mind and listen to Gangsta rap.
    That's a shit analogy.
    Agreed.

Banned

You are just a customer of an icon.

Whilst Bowie was influential in the field of pop and rock and made some great music, he also took his influences from other artists and genres too. Like The Velvet Underground, Scott Walker, Philadelphia soul, Krautrock, Jungle etc.

The singles he released around 1967 owes a heavy debt to singer Anthony Newley, whilst his Hunky Dory album IMO was influenced by Michael Chapman's folk album Fully Qualified Survivor.