+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Around 1000 jobs lost in Wales

Around 1000 jobs lost in Wales

750 lost at Tata in Port Talbot and around 100-200 in Llanwern.

Not good.

Re: Around 1000 jobs lost in Wales

Listening to radio wales - there are a few callers who blame the Tories

They forgot 13 years of Labour in Westminster plus 20 odd years of Labour at the WAG.

Carwyn Jones said last week being in the EU would mean the uk steel industry would be protected .... I wonder what he thinks now ?

On to the matters in hand - if we were outside the EU - we wouldnt be bound by EU regs - which mean we have to accept cheap chinese steel imports. The UK could set our its temporary tarifs - so China cant dump their cheap steel on us.

They export more to us than we export to them.

And you think Camerons filth would do that ?
    They already have their tounges furiously licking China's arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 11:04
    You mind me of Father Jack at times, dozing away in your chair, suddenly jerking awake to yell "Tory Scum" for no apparent reason,

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 11:08
    As for NO apparent reason ????? Wtf does that mean ? There is every reason in the world to attack this disgusting vomit of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 09:31
    Possibly a bit too little too late in this case, which is of course very sad for those affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 11:12
    You mind me of Father Jack at times, dozing away in your chair, suddenly jerking awake to yell "Tory Scum" for no apparent reason,
    In this case a Private Indian firm is to blame, despite the government's efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 11:18
    Feck , though I am now preferring Tory Filth.
    The fact that Carwyn Jones has washed his hands of the situation -I think his skin is made of teflon as any difficult situation he finds himself in it is the fault of the Westminster government.Plenty of strong condemnation of the Tory Government a lot of it justified but I can't see that the local second rate politicians in WAG exactly cover themselves in glory.

im not really into politics

I'm not really that clever

But Im clever enough to know the torys are scum,

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 11:40
    As for NO apparent reason ????? Wtf does that mean ? There is every reason in the world to attack this disgusting vomit of government.
    As I said, too little too late, but I'm struggling to understand why the Chinese flooding the market with cheap steel, and expensive energy from German/French owned energy firms and an Indian Company having to restructure in the face of such competition/cost lies squarely at the feet of our our government.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 09:31
    How much steel do we export to the EU? If we weren't in the EU but still wanted to export to them we would still be bound by their rules but would have absolutely no representation when those rules are formulated.

How much steel do we export to the rest of the world ?

The current Govt has struck many deals with China recently to build infrastructure in the UK.

Deals which are worth a lot of money to us (not that much to the Chinese considering the size of their economy) and will create thousands of jobs. So yes Mick the Govt could tell them to get lost and these projects would not happen and the jobs would disappear - possibly.

What do you want steel jobs to go or jobs elsewhere ?

Rather than telling the chinese to F off in your parlance , far better to impose our own import tariffs for a while, that would help Tata in the domestic UK market - it wouldnt't help Port Talbot with steel exports though would it.

So if Port Talbot makes enough for the UK - then we use that steel, at the moment though they cant compete because of unfair Chinese practices.

At least if we controlled our own import tariffs we could do something - rather than do F all as it currently stands.

Dont let that get in your way though Mick - you have a good old vent at Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 12:49
    How much steel do we export to the rest of the world ?
    I've no idea, just as I have no idea how much we export to Europe. I thought you might know seeing as you have so much to say.

Russell Slade must shoulder the blame for this

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 12:58
    The current Govt has struck many deals with China recently to build infrastructure in the UK.
    Pity it couldn't strike deals with itself to build infrastructure.

This took 5 minutes to get (I'm on a boring conference call - I havent been asked a question yet)

In 2014, the UK exported 7.6 million tonnes of steel and imported 6.4 million tonnes.

We export more than we import, so if you are trying to export in the current market - you are screwed because of what China is doing to the global steel market.

China produced 779 million tonnes of steel in 2013, 48% of the world total. The UK produced 12 million tonne , Germany 43 million tonnes.

52% of UK steel exports are to the EU.
    69% of UK steel imports are from the EU.

As it stands unless the whole world stands up to china and bans it's cheap steel - then it is impossible to operate in this market globally. It looks like if we just want to compete in the UK / EU then Tata would need to cut production drastically.

UK steel industry: Briefing Paper House of Commons 2015

There is no UK company that can do that Eric, from memory the French were going to build a nuclear power station - but I think they pulled out of it.

I 100% agree with your sentiment though.

Seeing as Germany produce 4 times the amount of steel as the UK - I wonder how they have dealt with the current situation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 12:58
    Why not temporarily nationalise the steel plants until the current crisis blows over and let the government bear the losses...Or is that just a privilege afforded to English bankers.

Is this you Mick ?

If the banking system goes down - the whole economy goes with it, no Govt will ever let that happen. If a steel company reduces it's workforce - as bad as it is - it wont crash the fecking economy. Why dont you write to to EU MEP and ask them what they will do about allowing these cheap chinese imports ?

Im signing off now - Ive actually got to finish something before the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 14:20
    Is this you Mick ?
    Thier human rights track record is a little shabby too... British values thou eh.

The governments efforts You're a fooking comedian.

This 'business' is losing £1million a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue wrote on Mon, 18 January 2016 18:35
    This 'business' is losing £1million a week?
    net result, we lost 50 million even though we made 50 million