+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not much angst about Mason going!

Re: Not much angst about Mason going!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 16:33
    Most fans accept that the fee Wolves paid was too good t turn down, that's why the lack of angst.
    good luck Joe thanks for the memories

I had really high hopes for Mason when he first come onto the scene

You can only carrying hoping for so long really

I personally believe that most fans were happy for Mason to leave as it gives Revell a better chance of playing. At least with Revell on the pitch the comedy makes up for the sterile low quality football that's on offer.

Good luck to Joe but I would have preferred to have kept Watt.

Selling a player who has spent far more time either on loan, on the bench or not in the squad in the past few seasons than playing (we have been paying him to pay for someone else) for £3.5 million is obviously good business. How he is replaced is a separate issue of course but selling him is good business.

I agree he has gone backwards since we first signed him but that could be for a number of reasons and not necessarily his fault. I think he's a clever, intelligent player who is a decent finisher (not great but ok) but lacks the pace, skill and strength to get any higher than this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 17:32
    C'mon City

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 18:44
    Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 14:12
    I bet he outscores any striker we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 14:08
    We haven't got any.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 14:07
    We've got Saddi and he'll only last 30 mins
    Or the more likely scenario, Mason gets put through in the last minute but gets caught for pace and then out muscled by Whitts

Who ever sanctioned to pay us 3.5 for the slug aka slow joe aka mason will surely be sacked in 6 months time

w you can write off Mason I don't know, any striker playing for us would struggle as we don't create chances, and play dire direct football that players like Kenwyne thrive on, look at le Fondre, u can be as natural finisher as you want but if there's nothing to finish you will struggle !! Mason will do well for anyone who creates chances, he even did well for Bolton Wanderers!! We will rue this sale unfortunately!! This time reminds me of when we sold Earnie, Gabbidon etc, we are on the verge of freefall I an feel it!!

Quote Originally Posted by redeyes wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 21:44
    w you can write off Mason I don't know, any striker playing for us would struggle as we don't create chances, and play dire direct football that players like Kenwyne thrive on, look at le Fondre, u can be as natural finisher as you want but if there's nothing to finish you will struggle !! Mason will do well for anyone who creates chances, he even did well for Bolton Wanderers!! We will rue this sale unfortunately!! This time reminds me of when we sold Earnie, Gabbidon etc, we are on the verge of freefall I an feel it!!
    Le Fondre was crap.

Most fans accept that the fee Wolves paid was too good t turn down, that's why the lack of angst.
    I would be totally amazed if Wolves paid any more than 2 million for him (if that)

Good business. His career never really took off at City and the fact that he has the build of a 12 year old works against him in 'high-octane' matches.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 19:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 18:44
    Aye.
    And now we have neither.
    Still got a bad feeling it won't work out well for us

Somebody show me proof he went for £3m plus! No way.

Average finisher, no pace, no strength and does not link up well. Mason was our frontline striker and had a half dozen goals. That's a poor return that is in line with his career average. Anything we make is good for us and bad for Wolves but I doubt we got £1m

His first season here* was fantastic and with the highlight being the good goal in a cup final. He still needs to develop parts of his game though and we haven't been the right club to do that at since his first season, even him getting game time as come alongside partners that won't work for themselves let alone the team and a lack of pace in the middle of the park.

Good luck to him but 3 million is a good deal for us.

*How many players do we have from before the rebrand now? Is it just Marshall, Gunnarson, Whitts and Ralls? In Earnie's tributes there is a real sense that we don't have anyone who feels like a true City player any more but we're slowly losing those closest to it and no replacements are stepping up.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai wrote on Sat, 30 January 2016 07:23
    But who has confirmed that fee ?
    http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/01/29/the-true-cost-of-jo e-mason-to-wolves/?

When Mason came in he was playing as a link between midfield and striker and it seemed to work ok.
    As he was pushed forward he isn't as effective he spends a lot of time offside as he doesn't have enough pace to burst past players. His touch isn't great either but he does try and get into dangerous positions.

Even if it was 2 million I'm sure there will be a lot better players who don't command a transfer fee.
    I don't know what wolves have been watching bit he has been poor for a while

even at 2 mill we would have had to have taken the money, it was still a good deal for us

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Sat, 30 January 2016 09:41
    If anything has leaked out of the club it has been twisted to make it look like we are doing good business.
    Most likely to be a mix.

that good season he had was playing with miller who done all the hard work for him and who i personally feel didn't get the credit he deserved

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Sat, 30 January 2016 09:41
    If anything has leaked out of the club it has been twisted to make it look like we are doing good business.
    The rest is all hopeful mambo jumbo where promotion fees kick in etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 13:41
    Does it reflect the growing disinterest in all things CCFC or simply that his performances have been poor most of this season and £3.5m is a very good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY wrote on Fri, 29 January 2016 13:23
    It has all been said in other posts, but I am almost certain that the fee is nowhere near £3.5m.
    We sold Steven MacLean for £500,000, around £4million too much.

Would any City fan have been happy if we paid £3.5m or even £1.5m for Joe Mason? Think that answers the question.

Never understood the love affair some fans had about him. No pace, no heading ability , no strength when challenged, no passing ability. Could score a goal if presented with a simple on the plate chance.

Might do better elsewhere but i doubt it.