+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richmond Park by-election

Richmond Park by-election

Sarah Olney wins the Richmond Park by-election on an anti-hard brexit campaign.

The tide is beginning to turn.

Re: Richmond Park by-election

Hardly surprising when Richmond voted 75,000 to 33,000 to remain in the referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Hardly surprising when Richmond voted 75,000 to 33,000 to remain in the referendum
    No, but their views on this issue weren't represented in parliament, until now.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Whether it is BREXIT or not it's still himllarious that odious little **** has lost his seat and
    made an arse of himself .

He looked genuinely upset too which is even better 😃😃😃😃

This changes..................nothing.

People are so OTT with their wording. "Odious".

What has Goldsmith done that is odious?. Apart from that media campaign to claim he was a raging xenephobe.

London voting liberal leaning politicians isn't really surprising is it?.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 02-12-16 at 09:08.

Banned

Labour lost their deposit

You mean parliant is full of hard Brexiters and Remainers? With the way things are dragging along, it would appear this anti-hard Brexit stance may be more common than you think.

Its too late, the Brexit vote has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    This changes..................nothing.

People are so OTT with their wording. "Odious".

What has Goldsmith done that is odious?. Apart from that media campaign to claim he was a raging xenephobe.

London voting liberal leaning politicians isn't really surprising is it?.
    I remember the spelling Nazis on here when I called him a raging xylophone.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    Labour lost their deposit
    Not really a surprise. Tactical voting in a former Lib Dem seat.

By the way, I can recommend the books by the Labour candidate Christian Woolmer on British railways. 'Fire & Steam' is fascinating, especially the early chapters on the navvies who built the railways, tunnels and bridges. Most came from Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire or Yorkshire and lived in labouring clans that were hard as nails, wore fancy clothes (hats, waistcoats and boots) and on average drank 8 pints of beer a day. They also died young.

Sarah Olney wins the Richmond Park by-election on an anti-hard brexit campaign.

The tide is beginning to turn.

Little Timmy Farron has got the breath back in his lungs today claiming this is some kind of political awakening, maybe among the liberal elites that live in leafy Richmond but the rest of the country are fully behind Brexit. I am pro Brexit and pro Heathrow expansion, Goldsmith lost his seat due to some absurd publicity stunt. In both the last GE he stood on an anti expansion ticket and won both. When all the other candidates agree with him on Heathrow of course they are going to look at other differences and his stance on Brexit and his doomed mayoral campaign were a manna from heaven for the LDs.

Olney said that all remain voting areas should have remain voting MPs. I quite agree, it means Timmy Farron and Clegg would lose their seats plus a high number of Labour MPs and Brexit would be sure to sail through.

Timmy Farron earlier - "This result shows Brexit is not inevitable". How deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Little Timmy Farron has got the breath back in his lungs today claiming this is some kind of political awakening, maybe among the liberal elites that live in leafy Richmond but the rest of the country are fully behind Brexit.
    You make it sound like the 48% all live in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    You make it sound like the 48% all live in Richmond.
    Generally speaking the 48% live in areas like Richmond, outside of Scotland. I have no problem with the 48% having a say in Brexit, I have a problem with them trying to stop it from happening.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not really a surprise. Tactical voting in a former Lib Dem seat.

By the way, I can recommend the books by the Labour candidate Christian Woolmer on British railways. 'Fire & Steam' is fascinating, especially the early chapters on the navvies who built the railways, tunnels and bridges. Most came from Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire or Yorkshire and lived in labouring clans that were hard as nails, wore fancy clothes (hats, waistcoats and boots) and on average drank 8 pints of beer a day. They also died young.

They drank beer because the water would kill them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post

A quick retreat to her safe space

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    They drank beer because the water would kill them.
    Partly true. The other reason was that for a lot of them half their 'wages' were paid in company beer!

Little Timmy Farron has got the breath back in his lungs today claiming this is some kind of political awakening, maybe among the liberal elites that live in leafy Richmond but the rest of the country are fully behind Brexit. I am pro Brexit and pro Heathrow expansion, Goldsmith lost his seat due to some absurd publicity stunt. In both the last GE he stood on an anti expansion ticket and won both. When all the other candidates agree with him on Heathrow of course they are going to look at other differences and his stance on Brexit and his doomed mayoral campaign were a manna from heaven for the LDs.

Olney said that all remain voting areas should have remain voting MPs. I quite agree, it means Timmy Farron and Clegg would lose their seats plus a high number of Labour MPs and Brexit would be sure to sail through.

Timmy Farron earlier - "This result shows Brexit is not inevitable". How deluded.
    It depends on how you define 'area'. Sheffield narrowly voted 'leave' but Sheffield Hallam (Clegg's seat) was strong 'remain'.

Life imitating art?

IMG_0208.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Generally speaking the 48% live in areas like Richmond, outside of Scotland. I have no problem with the 48% having a say in Brexit, I have a problem with them trying to stop it from happening.
    That doesn't stand up to scrutiny, the 48% live all around the UK and consist of people from all walks of life - just like Leave voters.

That doesn't stand up to scrutiny, the 48% live all around the UK and consist of people from all walks of life - just like Leave voters.
    "Generally speaking".

What is a "walk of life"?

This data clearly shows that the UK is divided between the working and work-less, the young and the old, white and black, working class and middle class, and between the university-educated and those who haven't had that privilege.
    IMG_0210.jpg

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06...voted-and-why/

"Generally speaking".
    Well to you maybe life is simple, the 48% are all liberal elites who live in places like Richmond. Is stockport full of liberal elites? Leeds is packed full of liberal elites. Northern Ireland also? Even in Harlow, a place where a polish man was beaten to death for not speaking English just a few months after the vote, 31% voted remain, was that just the liberal elites too?

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post

This data clearly shows that the UK is divided between the working and work-less, the young and the old, white and black, working class and middle class, and between the university-educated and those who haven't had that privilege.
    IMG_0210.jpg

Yeah divided but not the kind of whitewash being suggested by BS1948 by any stretch of the imagination. 'Generally speaking the 48% live in areas like Richmond' is clearly rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post

IMG_0210.jpg

What all of that data shows to me is that even in the so called smallest grouping (18 to 24 year olds who voted leave), more than one in four of those voting in that age group favoured leaving the EU. When you consider that twenty seven per cent is more than the party which has an overall majority in parliament currently got out of the eligible vote in the 2015 General Election, then the picture painted doesn't look quite as dramatic as you try to paint it - I'd be interested to see what a breakdown between the parties based on the groupings used there looked like after a closely fought General Election (e.g. 2010).

One thing the data shows absolutely clearly is that in all but one of the categories (the one I mentioned earlier) at least a third of those who voted did not go with the overall verdict for their grouping. Given that over thirty three and a half million people voted in the referendum, we have to be talking about very significant numbers who voted against the grain so to speak in their grouping, so I think it's entirely reasonable to argue that people from "all walks of life" voted for both sides - it's certainly more reasonable than the assertion that all of those who voted remain were "generally speaking" from places like Richmond.

Finally I couldn't help but note the interesting use of language in the analysis of figures you provided where it says "Among private renters and people with mortgages, a small majority (55% and 54%) voted to remain". While it's true that the majorities involved there were on the smallish side, they were a fair bit bigger than the one in the overall referendum and, yet, increasingly, I hear leave voters arguing that there is a clear majority for the version of Brexit they favour - there is no evidence at all that this is true.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 03-12-16 at 06:47.