+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Port Talbot, prolly saved but, being cynical

Port Talbot, prolly saved but, being cynical

The end of final salary pensions, was this the objective all along? and just the start of an attack all final salary pensions lurking about in private industry.

Re: Port Talbot, prolly saved but, being cynical

Never let a good plan go to waste

Could be further pain for the steel industry on the horizon. The Eu currently have a limit in the amount of cheap steel that China can dump into the market. Nobody is really sure whether that will still apply to uk after brexit, I guess it would have to be tested in court.
    We may have to agree our own deal with China, with considerably less clout than the EU, but I don't nessecarily see that as too huge a stumbling block.
    The biggest problem for me is the people in prominent positions in the Tory party I don't think will be to concerned at all if the steel industry is completely destroyed in this country. They believe in the free market, so if it's cheaper to buy it from China then that's what we should do.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The end of final salary pensions, was this the objective all along? and just the start of an attack all final salary pensions lurking about in private industry.
    final salary pensions were fine when the average life expectancy was say 5-10 years post retirement. That life expectancy has increased but contributions haven't. Final salary schemes are no longer affordable unless contributions by workers increase to cover the shortfall