+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OK, you spoilt buggers - It's Brains I Want! Real Ale I mean.

OK, you spoilt buggers - It's Brains I Want! Real Ale I mean.

Hello boys and the odd girl of the new board I have a serious question regarding the beer of the Gods. Taking my kids and folks to the beautiful city of Cardiff tomorrow. Bit pushed for time with catching up with family etc but am looking for a decent pub within 10 mins walk of the centre that serves a belting pint of Brains - has to be Dark and SA on draught as real ale. Bit of a specific ask I know but want to sample the best of the best if possible. It has been 10 years since I have been able to drink in the City and am looking forward to my first pint of decent beer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: OK, you spoilt buggers - It's Brains I Want! Real Ale I mean.

I'm a lager drinker primarily but aren't the best Brains pubs in town The City Arms, The Old Arcade or The Cottage?

Brains is Brains really, it all tastes the same IMO whichever pub you're in, average at best but I suppose Dempseys would be your best bet in town. If you really like your ale, I would head for the Urban Tap House, City Arms, Cambrian Tap or I've heard the Hopbunker is good if you're in town. Out of town The Lansdowne in Canton or the Cricketers in Pontcanna does nice ales.

Thanks both. Used to love the Arcade before they Dazzed and Shazzed it up. Will try the City Arms first and then have a look at the Urban Tap as that sounds interesting.

Banned

I find the Goat Major is about the best of the Brains establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I find the Goat Major is about the best of the Brains establishments.
    Yes they had SA straight from the barrel last time i was in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Thanks both. Used to love the Arcade before they Dazzed and Shazzed it up. Will try the City Arms first and then have a look at the Urban Tap as that sounds interesting.
    Urban Tap house is good, but I don't think they do Brains - it's more micro-brewer type stuff. Their meals are good, double the price of say, Wetherspoons, but ten times the taste.