+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone remember if Colin Powell ever played for us?

Anyone remember if Colin Powell ever played for us?

I am not sure if I am losing it but I am convinced that back in the eighties we signed the Charlton winger Colin Powell on loan.
    I have checked the full list of all Cardiff ex players, but he is not included. Can anyone put me out of my misery, as this has bugged me for some time?

Re: Anyone remember if Colin Powell ever played for us?

He played two games for us and then quit football to become the U.S. Secretary of State.

According to the Who's Who of Cardiff City there was Cliff Powell who we had on loan from Sheffield United in 1989 and whose only appearance was a substitute in a 3-1 win over Bury in November 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    He played two games for us and then quit football to become the U.S. Secretary of State.
    I remember him playing a blinder away against Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Notts Blue View Post
    According to the Who's Who of Cardiff City there was Cliff Powell who we had on loan from Sheffield United in 1989 and whose only appearance was a substitute in a 3-1 win over Bury in November 1989.
    Yes it was Cliff Powell from Sheffield United on loan. I think he got injured playing for us and never played again, I may be wrong though.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think we may have been interested in signing Colin Powell from Charlton, late 70s?, but not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes it was Cliff Powell from Sheffield United on loan. I think he got injured playing for us and never played again, I may be wrong though.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think we may have been interested in signing Colin Powell from Charlton, late 70s?, but not really sure.
    i think you are correct he did look promising.

Didn't we have a Baden Powell, who went on to be a scout. (laughing smiley)