+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EU referendum

First Team

Re: EU referendum

I'm in but based on nothing more than 'better the devil you know' and possibly because I work in France so my situation may well change.
    The problem for me is that no one can actually say what would happen if we left. My hope is that this campaign will lead to the government's of Europe realise that the current situation demands that there is a major overhaul of what is generally a very good idea that has become a bloated and self serving bureaucracy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It's got to the point where nobody believes a word Cameron says. He is so desperate to win the vote he spouts rubbish everywhere he goes. Of course there can be no guarantees if we vote out in the same way there can be no guarantees if we remain in.
    I've always been at that point

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I'm in but based on nothing more than 'better the devil you know' and possibly because I work in France so my situation may well change.
    The problem for me is that no one can actually say what would happen if we left. My hope is that this campaign will lead to the government's of Europe realise that the current situation demands that there is a major overhaul of what is generally a very good idea that has become a bloated and self serving bureaucracy.
    I go along with your viewpoint-as you say -there has been no attempt to say what the future holds if we leave.Not convinced the rest of the world will be knocking at our door to become trading partners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    I go along with your viewpoint-as you say -there has been no attempt to say what the future holds if we leave.Not convinced the rest of the world will be knocking at our door to become trading partners!!!
    Two posts that sum up my feelings on the EU situation

It's impossible to say what the future holds if we leave in the same way that it is impossible to say what will happen if we vote remain. If we remain the EU will continue to integrate but how far this will go is pure speculation. If smaller countries than the UK can prosper on their own why can't we?

this is the bit that i dont get

say a company in Germany buy s specific item of us for something they make, surely if we leave they will still need the same item ? ? ? thus still buy the said item ?? ?

I might have missed the reasoning behind the trade deals though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

say a company in Germany buy s specific item of us for something they make, surely if we leave they will still need the same item ? ? ? thus still buy the said item ?? ?

No you haven't !

The only thing you missed is some far barsteward behind a desk doing frigg all, besides smoking a fat cigar, won't get his cut. (laughing smiley)

Anything sold by the UK and imported into the EU MAY be subject to a tariff of up to 10% making the product more expensive and theoretically uncompetitive meaning the German (or any EU buyer) company could buy their goods elsewhere. However, the falling pound will more than compensate for any tariff if one is imposed.

Of course the question of tariffs will be subject to separate negotiation if we leave and a country such as Iceland has a tariff free deal with no strings. Given that we import more from Europe than we export, if the EU introduced tariffs we would probably do likewise in respect of EU imports meaning it would be in the EU's interest to give us a tariff free deal.
    Last edited by Vindec; 08-03-16 at 09:48.

Anything sold by the UK and imported into the EU MAY be subject to a tariff of up to 10% making the product more expensive and theoretically uncompetitive meaning the German (or any EU buyer) company could buy their goods elsewhere. However, the falling pound will more than compensate for any tariff if one is imposed.

Of course the question of tariffs will be subject to separate negotiation if we leave and a country such as Iceland has a tariff free deal with no strings. Given that we import more from Europe than we export, if the EU introduced tariffs we would probably do likewise in respect of EU imports meaning it would be in the EU's interest to give us a tariff free deal.
    On a previous post you told us it's impossible to predict the future but in the next you've told us that sterling is going to lose it's value. I expect that is true in the immediate aftermath of an exit but no guarantee for longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    On a previous post you told us it's impossible to predict the future but in the next you've told us that sterling is going to lose it's value. I expect that is true in the immediate aftermath of an exit but no guarantee for longer term.
    That's a fair point but sterling is already falling against the euro and has done so for the past year trading between 1.44 in March 2015 to 1.29 in March 2016. But as I said previously it is impossible to say what will happen irrespective of whether we decide to remain or leave.
    Last edited by Vindec; 08-03-16 at 10:46.

What countries would they be?

That's a fair point but sterling is already falling against the euro and has done so for the past year trading between 1.44 in March 2015 to 1.29 in March 2016. But as I said previously it is impossible to say what will happen irrespective of whether we decide to remain or leave.
    The prospect of an in out referendum with polls indicating the very real possibility of a Brexit has crashed sterling. Actually leaving will send it into free-fall. There are far more risks and uncertainties associated with leaving than there are remaining in the EU. Ludicrous that anyone could suggest otherwise.

As has been said its impossible to know what will happen if we stay. In my view a vote to stay in a is a vote for the United states of europe, that is where I see the EU going if we vote in. The only way the Euro will work is europe becoming one state and we would be forced to join that. Now whether that is good or not I dont know.

The price of that item will increase as duty will have to be paid, so relocating manufacturing or finding a new supplier could be an option. Potentially losing the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    As has been said its impossible to know what will happen if we stay. In my view a vote to stay in a is a vote for the United states of europe, that is where I see the EU going if we vote in. The only way the Euro will work is europe becoming one state and we would be forced to join that. Now whether that is good or not I dont know.
    But the Euro does work for Northern European countries, the lack of appetite for reform among the Med nations isn't a failure of the single currency, it's a failure of individual nation state economic policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    But the Euro does work for Northern European countries, the lack of appetite for reform among the Med nations isn't a failure of the single currency, it's a failure of individual nation state economic policy.
    That's a very good point-Greece being the prime example.It's a difficult one but again if we vote to stay in the run on the pound will be reversed overnight.Then comes the arguement a strong pound isn't necessarily good for trade!!!!I'm sticking with in but it is a hugely difficult decision because of the unknown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    That would be a step closer to a one world government, I thought you'd be up for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    That would be a step closer to a one world government, I thought you'd be up for that?
    I don't know about that but the Germans must be thrilled to gain control of Europe without a single shot being fired. (Where's the smiley?)

Makes perfect sense. Imagine the savings that could be made on the bureaucracy.

If a one world government is going to happen one day, I'd probably rather it had European values at its core, rather than American or Chinese

Blog Entries

Yeah you say that now...

Nigel Farage has accused the Office for National Statistics of covering up immigration levels amid a row over the number of National Insurance (NI) numbers granted.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6897206.html

Remember this story in the coming months.

Yeah you say that now...

Nigel Farage has accused the Office for National Statistics of covering up immigration levels amid a row over the number of National Insurance (NI) numbers granted.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6897206.html

Remember this story in the coming months.
    The one world government doesn't really seem to have thought this all through. Offering the people of the UK the chance to break away from a form of government seems to be a backwards step if that is the plan. Additionally the people we are often told are in on it who own the media seem to also want us out.

This NWO thing needs a new strategist this current one is dreadful. :D

Blog Entries

The one world government doesn't really seem to have thought this all through. Offering the people of the UK the chance to break away from a form of government seems to be a backwards step if that is the plan. Additionally the people we are often told are in on it who own the media seem to also want us out.

This NWO thing needs a new strategist this current one is dreadful. :D
    Of course they have to give us a choice, it would look dodgy if they didn't. ;)

Of course they have to give us a choice, it would look dodgy if they didn't. ;)
    They didn't really have to give us a choice about saying in the EU.