+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EU referendum

EU referendum

This should go a way towards securing an in vote in Wales. Does this change anyone's opinion?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35666731

Re: EU referendum

It's got to the point where nobody believes a word Cameron says. He is so desperate to win the vote he spouts rubbish everywhere he goes. Of course there can be no guarantees if we vote out in the same way there can be no guarantees if we remain in.

The IN campaign appears entirely based on scare tactics on what could happen if we leave as opposed trying to promote the positives of EU membership.

Personally I hope that bites them in the arse and we leave

Using football speak, I cannot believe that Britain will vote to leave. It would surely be the biggest own goal in history.

Both campaigns have been pathetic from the start. It's a huge decision we are going to make in June and all we're getting is two sides who are seeing things in only black and white terms, when I believe that an awful lot of voters (including myself) are in need of some grey to help them make an informed decision.

I've stopped listening to the two campaigns because I'm not learning anything from them and will be spending my time on sites like these;

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/

https://fullfact.org/

over the next few weeks so, hopefully, I'll have a better idea of what I'm voting for in three months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    The IN campaign appears entirely based on scare tactics on what could happen if we leave as opposed trying to promote the positives of EU membership.

Don't beleive that. It's another tactic being used on you. It's the same as what SNP used. Use scare tactics but call out the opposition for using scare tactics. The public seem to be a right sucker for this tactic.

Both sides usescare tactics,don't be fooled into being told by one side that the other side are using scare tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dénia Bluebird View Post
    Using football speak, I cannot believe that Britain will vote to leave. It would surely be the biggest own goal in history.
    Why? Nothing is certain,getting out of Europe could easily be the best thing that happens to the UK.

An example I have seen that works well is that leaving the EU could be like leaving a band first. You could be Gerry halliwell and completely flop or you could be Robbie Williams and become huge. No one can know for certain though, there is a risk but there may be a great reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Don't beleive that. It's another tactic being used on you. It's the same as what SNP used. Use scare tactics but call out the opposition for using scare tactics. The public seem to be a right sucker for this tactic.

Both sides usescare tactics,don't be fooled into being told by one side that the other side are using scare tactics.
    It's not a tactic at all it's a personal observation and what I perceive as reality as highlighted yet again by the OP link

And you don't think the out have used sacare tactics? Immigration has been a massive scare tactic. EU regulations that we have to abide to, that they forget to tell you we will likely need to abide to anyway. And many more examples.

Boris has been spouting the scare campaign for a while even come up with some name for it. But the out campaign are as much as the in campaign using scare tactics.

And you don't think the out have used sacare tactics? Immigration has been a massive scare tactic. EU regulations that we have to abide to, that they forget to tell you we will likely need to abide to anyway. And many more examples.

Boris has been spouting the scare campaign for a while even come up with some name for it. But the out campaign are as much as the in campaign using scare tactics.
    Funny isn't it when the REMAINERS say we will have to abide by their regulations if we leave and that we will be forced to take migrants as part of a free trade deal like Norway. They failed to mention that Iceland managed to forge a virtual no strings attached deal and that we import far more from Europe than we export. On migration the REMAINERS tell us we will have to set up camps in Dover to deal with the massive influx resulting from the French putting thousands on ferries forgetting to mention that ferry operators are prohibited to allow anyone on their ferries without a passport unless of course they are prepared to face massive fines.

I agree that both sides are using scare tactics but the OUT campaign have no alternative but to counter the rubbish coming from Cameron's side. The fact he is prepared to lie to us so openly means that his time is up irrespective of which way we vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Those tactics worked in Scotland, they will work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    I think your almost certainly right unless there's a low turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Funny isn't it when the REMAINERS say we will have to abide by their regulations if we leave and that we will be forced to take migrants as part of a free trade deal like Norway. They failed to mention that Iceland managed to forge a virtual no strings attached deal and that we import far more from Europe than we export. On migration the REMAINERS tell us we will have to set up camps in Dover to deal with the massive influx resulting from the French putting thousands on ferries forgetting to mention that ferry operators are prohibited to allow anyone on their ferries without a passport unless of course they are prepared to face massive fines.

I agree that both sides are using scare tactics but the OUT campaign have no alternative but to counter the rubbish coming from Cameron's side. The fact he is prepared to lie to us so openly means that his time is up irrespective of which way we vote.

You could also say that the OUTTERS are finding everything and anything to make a campaign. Using every little story and blowing out of proportion to make a big story.

For example the British Chambers of Commerce boss suspended in Brexit row, made into big row. The BCC are meant to remain neutral its part of the way they work, he was suspended for not remaining neutral. But Boris makes it into a big story.

I am marginally an out voter, very much undecided though. But the Out campaign are playing as many games as the in campaign. Time to move on from the games and get into a real debate. Though I worry that many voters will make their minds up on such claims as one campaign being negative, and not see that both sides are negative.

The fact that Cameron wants in is enough for me to vote out.

However...

The fact that Boris wants out is enough for me to vote in.

My brain hurts.

Nobody-sweeping comment which you cannot of course prove!!!!!

Likewise, you shouldn't be fooled by the remain campaign's tactic of asking the leavers exactly what leaving would look like. It simply hasn't happened yet and would rely on the actions of numerous other players (yes, still) but leavers believe it will strengthen the countries position in the long term.

To add to TOBW links, this is an article that I enjoyed on the subject: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...n_9306736.html

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Likewise, you shouldn't be fooled by the remain campaign's tactic of asking the leavers exactly what leaving would look like. It simply hasn't happened yet and would rely on the actions of numerous other players (yes, still) but leavers believe it will strengthen the countries position in the long term.

To add to TOBW links, this is an article that I enjoyed on the subject: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...n_9306736.html
    Well you wouldn't support something that you feel is going to make us worse off. Whether staying in or leaving would strengthen the UK economy no-one really knows. In or out we are still exporting nearly 50% to the EU, so our economy will still be linked to the EU in or out.

What I would want to know is if we leave, what will it look like, will it be like Norway where they still have to pay in, still have open borders and still subject to regulations, if it is then there is no point leaving. Will it be like switzerland, again is there much point leaving. Or will we be almost completely outside the EU, and then will our business exports be able to compete with business inside the EU as we will have import duties to battle with. But we are free to arrange trade agreements with countries around the world, and can impose duties on imports like chinese steel that threaten our economy (without having to wait 2 years for the EU to get it sorted).

We are a long way from being able to even consider what life would be like outside the EU.

It's got to the point where nobody believes a word Cameron says. He is so desperate to win the vote he spouts rubbish everywhere he goes. Of course there can be no guarantees if we vote out in the same way there can be no guarantees if we remain in.
    the guarantee is of course with staying in. We will get £1.8bn if we stay in (based on the 2014-2020 figure). We might not if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    the guarantee is of course with staying in. We will get £1.8bn if we stay in (based on the 2014-2020 figure). We might not if we don't.
    That sum is a pittance compared with our annual 13.8bn euro - 3.6bneuro in rebates or possibly less depending on which figures are used.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...european-union

There are no guarantees even if we remain as we haven't a clue how the EU will develop in future years remembering that the original referendum was for a trade deal only.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    A drop in oil price wasn't just a scare tactic in the end.

That sum is a pittance compared with our annual 13.8bn euro - 3.6bneuro in rebates or possibly less depending on which figures are used.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...european-union

There are no guarantees even if we remain as we haven't a clue how the EU will develop in future years remembering that the original referendum was for a trade deal only.
    You're trying to tell me wales contributes nearly 14bn euro? That's not what your article says...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    You're trying to tell me wales contributes nearly 14bn euro? That's not what your article says...
    You didn't provide the source for the 1.8bn and the referendum doesn't refer to Wales only. There can be no guarantees that Wales will receive 1.8bn in future as that will depend as much on decisions by the EU rather than our elected government.

You didn't provide the source for the 1.8bn and the referendum doesn't refer to Wales only. There can be no guarantees that Wales will receive 1.8bn in future as that will depend as much on decisions by the EU rather than our elected government.
    I'd rather take my chances staying in the EU than take the risk of getting screwed over by the future face of UK government (Boris and Osborne) in an unregulated free for all that will always favour a wealthy privileged few in the SE of England and not give two fuks for the rest of us.

if you read the OP I gave, that's the source of the 1.8bn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    I'd rather take my chances staying in the EU than take the risk of getting screwed over by the future face of UK government (Boris and Osborne) in an unregulated free for all that will always favour a wealthy privileged few in the SE of England and not give two fuks for the rest of us.
    Yesterday I read an article on the need for PR which linked in a tweet where David Cameron said prior to the last election "You are living in one of the 23 seats which will decide the election". When one of the strongest arguments for leaving is politicians who don't represent the UK electorate having a significant say on our policies shouldn't we first ensure our policies makers represent the UK electorate?