Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
Welsh medium schools have the same benefit as faith schools, parents who give a toss about their kids education and send them to Welsh schools because they believe they have a better education. Parental involvement is one of the biggest factors in how well a child does and both Welsh and religious schools don't suffer much from parents who dump their kids there and couldn't give a shit.

Is a teacher better simply because he speaks Welsh or because they go to church? Of course not. Standards in maths, English and science in Welsh medium schools are below the Welsh average.

I don't have a problem with Welsh medium education and I'm glad it is thriving, even if it is not necessarily because of a desire to learn Welsh. I have a problem with Welsh being forced on people who will never use it and don't want to. Not speaking Welsh doesn't make you any less of a Welshman.
I agree that it doesnt make you less of a welshman. I personally believe in choice, and I think the only way to give the children a fair choice is to teach them both languages. That way they can make a fair and unbiased judgement on which language they prefer and want to speak.

I'd like to see the evidence for the welsh medium schools being behind in key subjects, because I just dont believe that.
Also, every school has parents who dump their kids and dont care about their education. It isnt fair to single some out because you believe different. Some could even say that it's harder to have an involvement with a child's education if he's studying in a language you can't teach. To that, I would say it's incorrect but thats for another day.