+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's more than one Cardiff team looking for a Play Off place.

There's more than one Cardiff team looking for a Play Off place.

Re: There's more than one Cardiff team looking for a Play Off place.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You're good at this, (the report is under the quiz for anyone who's interested). The pitch did create problems, felt sorry for the boys who were trying to knock it around and it did make it difficult for defenders trying to play it out from the back. Healey was very impressive, his all-round game continues to improve. Tutonda was a bit clumsy in the first half but showed character to bounce back with a strong second half showing. Harris seemed to enjoy playing inside having looked rather disinterested in the first half out on the wing. I wonder if that's where he's looking to play now? I know you didn't fancy him there last season.

Decent enough performance all round. I didn't understand the way we set up first half, it left Healey a bit isolated, but fair play to Kevin Nicholson for the formation change, Colchester couldn't handle it until the final few minutes. He must be taking advice off Russell Slade about tactics and substitutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    You're good at this, (the report is under the quiz for anyone who's interested). The pitch did create problems, felt sorry for the boys who were trying to knock it around and it did make it difficult for defenders trying to play it out from the back. Healey was very impressive, his all-round game continues to improve. Tutonda was a bit clumsy in the first half but showed character to bounce back with a strong second half showing. Harris seemed to enjoy playing inside having looked rather disinterested in the first half out on the wing. I wonder if that's where he's looking to play now? I know you didn't fancy him there last season.

Decent enough performance all round. I didn't understand the way we set up first half, it left Healey a bit isolated, but fair play to Kevin Nicholson for the formation change, Colchester couldn't handle it until the final few minutes. He must be taking advice off Russell Slade about tactics and substitutions.
    To be honest, I don't see Healey or Harris getting any first team action soon no matter where they play. Both are proven scorers at Under 21 level, but I don't believe our manager thinks that has any relevance when it comes to the senior team. As for Harris playing through the middle, I agree he was more effective in that position on Tuesday, but, I'm beginning to think he is one of quite a few who have been at City for some time who will have to be at another club if they want to be playing first team football.

To be honest, I don't see Healey or Harris getting any first team action soon no matter where they play. Both are proven scorers at Under 21 level, but I don't believe our manager thinks that has any relevance when it comes to the senior team. As for Harris playing through the middle, I agree he was more effective in that position on Tuesday, but, I'm beginning to think he is one of quite a few who have been at City for some time who will have to be at another club if they want to be playing first team football.
    Incidentally, have you got Cardiff City Player? If you have, have a look at Russell Slade's press conference yesterday about two thirds of the way through - he was asked about Jazzi Barnum Bobb being released and, although I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, it appeared as if the decision has been made without his involvement, in fact, it sounded like he thought the player was still on loan at Newport.

Incidentally, have you got Cardiff City Player? If you have, have a look at Russell Slade's press conference yesterday about two thirds of the way through - he was asked about Jazzi Barnum Bobb being released and, although I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, it appeared as if the decision has been made without his involvement, in fact, it sounded like he thought the player was still on loan at Newport.
    I haven't seen the interview but I'm not surprised. I've no idea what goes on behind the scenes here and I'm pretty sure Slade hasn't either. I didn't see him at the game on Thursday but Ken Choo watched the 90 minutes, it's an unusual arrangement. If Josh Yorwerth is right that the youngsters never train with the first team here then how is Slade keeping up with their progress? Rhys Healey seemed to be doing well in the Scottish Premier League before his injury, wouldn't a manager want to come down to check on his form and fitness? Very odd.

Slade usually shows up for the afternoon Under 21 games sometime in the second half, but, you're right, I don't think he was there on Thursday - as I mentioned, it was an odd few seconds in that interview with our manager saying something like Scott Young (he was sat behind me in the first half on Thursday) was the person to talk to about our young professionals. Obviously, neither our manager or the club saw anything wrong with what was said because they would have made sure that it wasn't included in the video if they did, but it hardly filled me with confidence about the way our 18 to 20 year olds are treated.

I was just going to ask whether you fellas thought there were any players in our development set ups who would be ready to step up into the first team squad next year as I think the time will soon be coming where we will need to be looking in this direction for 1st team cover and competition.
    I'm a bit worried by what you've written as Slade himself might not know 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I was just going to ask whether you fellas thought there were any players in our development set ups who would be ready to step up into the first team squad next year as I think the time will soon be coming where we will need to be looking in this direction for 1st team cover and competition.
    I'm a bit worried by what you've written as Slade himself might not know ��
    The only players I've watched for the Under 18s who I thought could step straight into the first team were Aaron Ramsey and Adam Matthews. With someone like Chris Gunter, I thought he stood a good chance of going on to play for the first team, but was surprised that he was given his first game at seventeen and looked at home at that level virtually from the start.

Why I mention that is because there may be players in the Under 21s who don't demand to be included in the first team, but it might be that they would have no problems in dealing with the step up if given the chance. I don't want to go over old ground here and have the same argument, but I do feel that players such as O'Sullivan, Oshilaja and Wharton should have been given at least a game or two at Championship level by now to see how they handle it.

To answer your question, I think if I had to name one who couid make the first team squad next season it would be Oshilaja and with our current shortage of strikers, Rhys Healey might be a possibility as well.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 20-03-16 at 15:52.

Interesting.
    Healey is the only one I've seen a couple of times and he didn't look like he had enough to be even a squad player. Was a while back now.

Id guess with the experience they have picked up Oshilaja and maybe O'Sullivan would be the most likely.

Also wondered if one or 2 of the super kids in the lower age groups might get a chance

Slade usually shows up for the afternoon Under 21 games sometime in the second half, but, you're right, I don't think he was there on Thursday - as I mentioned, it was an odd few seconds in that interview with our manager saying something like Scott Young (he was sat behind me in the first half on Thursday) was the person to talk to about our young professionals. Obviously, neither our manager or the club saw anything wrong with what was said because they would have made sure that it wasn't included in the video if they did, but it hardly filled me with confidence about the way our 18 to 20 year olds are treated.
    I found the interview, it's extraordinary. I can't find a direct link to it (outside of Player) but if anyone's interested, go to the club site (http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/) then scroll down the front page to the box between Form and Gallery and click on READING PRE-MATCH MEDIA: SLADE. At 10.00 Slade gets asked the question about Jazzi Barnum-Bobb potentially being released. He obviously has no idea and then says that Barnum-Bobb is currently playing with Tommy (O'Sullivan) which he isn't, O'Sullivan returned to Newport on loan earlier in the month but not Barnum-Bobb. Maybe Slade didn't come down to check on Rhys Healey on Thursday because he thinks he's still at Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I found the interview, it's extraordinary. I can't find a direct link to it (outside of Player) but if anyone's interested, go to the club site (http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/) then scroll down the front page to the box between Form and Gallery and click on READING PRE-MATCH MEDIA: SLADE. At 10.00 Slade gets asked the question about Jazzi Barnum-Bobb potentially being released. He obviously has no idea and then says that Barnum-Bobb is currently playing with Tommy (O'Sullivan) which he isn't, O'Sullivan returned to Newport on loan earlier in the month but not Barnum-Bobb. Maybe Slade didn't come down to check on Rhys Healey on Thursday because he thinks he's still at Dundee.
    A few weeks ago - on the back of Vincent Tan's visit, debt announcement and fan Q&A - Russell Slade said some very positive things about the importance of the development squad and academy. It seemed at the time to be a co-ordinated charm offensive by the club, tackling head-on most of the main complaints from fans (style of play, debt to equity, prices and stadium atmosphere, recruiting from within....). However, Slade's performances in interviews since then, when asked about youth players at the club, completely undermines what he said earlier. Either he defers to Scott Young or he says something that shows he has no idea!

I know it's become unpopular on here in recent weeks to offer any criticism of Slade and I know Tandy will be firing up his type writer as I speak, but despite the recent improvement in terms of the l first team and the evident team spirit that he seems to have galvanised, I still don't believe he has what it takes to carry this club forward.

Like Bob I do like to keep close tabs on the Academy and I can honestly say that I have never seen Slade at match when I have attended.
    Some will say that he can't do everything but nevertheless when you have promising talent like Matondo and Spence being courted by the likes of Man City surely he is duty bound to at least go and see what all the fuss is about!
    Beyond that I believe it would be a massive boost for those lad's to have the knowledge that the manager knows they exist and that he is tracking their progress.

I remember it being said that Ramsey chose Arsenal over Man Manchester United cos Arsene Wenger met him personally whereas Ferguson sent Gary Neville to court him.

I don't believe that the Academy should be a second thought at the club but we should be looking to the Academy first when thinking about next season's transfer activity.

This club needs a manager who is strong and someone charismatic enough to put forward a vision for the future of this club to it's billionaire owner.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Slade would never risk rocking the boat with Tan and will always be someone who thanks his lucky stars to find himself where he is.

I went to watch the kids play today and once again it was a joy to watch them beat Aston Villa.

We have some real talent at all levels and it would be great to see some reward for the coaches at that level in seeing a pathway being created for one or two these kids to reach the first team.

I've made no secret on here that I'd love to see Craig Bellamy given the opportunity to take us forward. I think he has a passion for these kids and he not only shows his face and gives input to the Academy kids but has even given up his own time to coach the prep squad!

Slade's job title on the official site is first team manager so maybe his job spec doesn't include hiring and releasing dvp/academy players. Maybe he gets a say in that but one can't be too sure. And why is Scott Young being asked about dvp players? Why not Kevin Nicholson? Sounds like a continental director of football set-up, but who would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A few weeks ago - on the back of Vincent Tan's visit, debt announcement and fan Q&A - Russell Slade said some very positive things about the importance of the development squad and academy. It seemed at the time to be a co-ordinated charm offensive by the club, tackling head-on most of the main complaints from fans (style of play, debt to equity, prices and stadium atmosphere, recruiting from within....). However, Slade's performances in interviews since then, when asked about youth players at the club, completely undermines what he said earlier. Either he defers to Scott Young or he says something that shows he has no idea!
    Or both, as in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I know it's become unpopular on here in recent weeks to offer any criticism of Slade and I know Tandy will be firing up his type writer as I speak, but despite the recent improvement in terms of the l first team and the evident team spirit that he seems to have galvanised, I still don't believe he has what it takes to carry this club forward.

Like Bob I do like to keep close tabs on the Academy and I can honestly say that I have never seen Slade at match when I have attended.
    Some will say that he can't do everything but nevertheless when you have promising talent like Matondo and Spence being courted by the likes of Man City surely he is duty bound to at least go and see what all the fuss is about!
    Beyond that I believe it would be a massive boost for those lad's to have the knowledge that the manager knows they exist and that he is tracking their progress.

I remember it being said that Ramsey chose Arsenal over Man Manchester United cos Arsene Wenger met him personally whereas Ferguson sent Gary Neville to court him.

I don't believe that the Academy should be a second thought at the club but we should be looking to the Academy first when thinking about next season's transfer activity.

This club needs a manager who is strong and someone charismatic enough to put forward a vision for the future of this club to it's billionaire owner.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Slade would never risk rocking the boat with Tan and will always be someone who thanks his lucky stars to find himself where he is.

I went to watch the kids play today and once again it was a joy to watch them beat Aston Villa.

We have some real talent at all levels and it would be great to see some reward for the coaches at that level in seeing a pathway being created for one or two these kids to reach the first team.

I've made no secret on here that I'd love to see Craig Bellamy given the opportunity to take us forward. I think he has a passion for these kids and he not only shows his face and gives input to the Academy kids but has even given up his own time to coach the prep squad!
    Got my first real look at Sion Spence in Saturday's Under 18 match gringo and I was impressed.

I'm with you about Bellamy - I've still not got a clue what will happen as far as the manager's job is concerned this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Slade's job title on the official site is first team manager so maybe his job spec doesn't include hiring and releasing dvp/academy players. Maybe he gets a say in that but one can't be too sure. And why is Scott Young being asked about dvp players? Why not Kevin Nicholson? Sounds like a continental director of football set-up, but who would that be?
    Based on what Slade said, Scott Young seems favourite! As I mentioned before, the whole thing was pretty odd, with the strangest part being that Slade was perfectly matter of fact about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

To be honest mate if you follow Kevin Nicholson and Michael Johnson on twitter they look like wrong uns who have no connection with the club whatsoever.

If we lose a game 1-0 Nicholson will do a question/answer on how to break down tight defences and if we lose 3-2, how to defend etc!
    Personally If was Slade's I'd be calling him out on it.

All Michael Johnson tweets about is Derby and Birmingham and considering they are two of our rivals for promotion and he works for Cardiff City it's a disgrace.

Got my first real look at Sion Spence in Saturday's Under 18 match gringo and I was impressed.

I'm with you about Bellamy - I've still not got a clue what will happen as far as the manager's job is concerned this summer.
    Bob it's great to see us producing talent like Spence and Matondo. There are some fantastic players all the way down in our academy system and I get down there whenever I can as it's a joy to watch.

I'm glad you recognised Lloyd Humphries as your player of the season. He goes about his business quietly for the team but he's an excellent prospect.
    Personally I also think the two full backs Coxe and Abbruzzese have got a great chance of pushing through to the first team in the future.

Bob it's great to see us producing talent like Spence and Matondo. There are some fantastic players all the way down in our academy system and I get down there whenever I can as it's a joy to watch.

I'm glad you recognised Lloyd Humphries as your player of the season. He goes about his business quietly for the team but he's an excellent prospect.
    Personally I also think the two full backs Coxe and Abbruzzese have got a great chance of pushing through to the first team in the future.
    I was a big fan of Robbie Patten in the Under 18s and I think the reason why I seem to be drawn towards those who play in that holding midfielder position is that I know for a fact that I would never in a million years have had the self discipline to play that role when I was their age .

I'm not surprised to see Patten doing well for the Under 21s again now he's back from his injury, but one thing I think Humphries has over him is that, as shown by his brilliant effort on Saturday, he has more goals to his game.

Coxe and Abbruzzese are great to watch because they are modern full backs who see themselves almost as much as attackers as they are defenders - at Under 18 level they are more than good enough at that part of the game and they must both have a chance if they can maintain this as they go up through the age levels.

I see Sion Spence scored for the Under 18s today - they drew at QPR with Mark Harris scoring the other goal.

I see Sion Spence scored for the Under 18s today - they drew at QPR with Mark Harris scoring the other goal.

That's great to hear Bob. What I like is the fact that unlike Matondo he isn't blessed with physical attributes like blistering pace yet he's able to make the steps up at 15.

He's a very intelligent footballer who makes the game look easy and finds pockets of space.

https://youtu.be/1dK88ZaDTh4

Here is the link of Lloyd Humphries goal from Saturday for those who haven't seen it.

Bob there were 7 under 15s playing for us this afternoon which makes the result very impressive indeed

Bob there were 7 under 15s playing for us this afternoon which makes the result very impressive indeed
    that's because they have today released all but 4 of the second year under 18s, 2 were given early deals a while ago
    and another 2 given short term deals today, the rest have been let go

That's great to hear Bob. What I like is the fact that unlike Matondo he isn't blessed with physical attributes like blistering pace yet he's able to make the steps up at 15.

He's a very intelligent footballer who makes the game look easy and finds pockets of space.

https://youtu.be/1dK88ZaDTh4

Here is the link of Lloyd Humphries goal from Saturday for those who haven't seen it.
    Not disagreeing with you Gringo, but I notice that Sion Spence has won awards for cross country racing in school - certainly, judging by the way he was getting around the pitch in the closing stages of Saturday's game, he doesn't lack for stamina. As for pace, he made up ground on a opponent to win a ball he shouldn't have, but I suppose that could be down to the player he was up against being slow.

Here's a link to Academy Twitter page in which some of those who played yesterday give their reaction - I suppose that's Robbie Patten's younger brother.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy

Quote Originally Posted by streamfeeder View Post
    that's because they have today released all but 4 of the second year under 18s, 2 were given early deals a while ago
    and another 2 given short term deals today, the rest have been let go
    I see Cameron Coxe is one of those who left a message on that Twitter page, so I presume he is a first year Under 18?