+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Quiz Questions

City Quiz Questions

Eight questions to keep some of you occupied.

1. Which former City player was sent off in a cup final ?

2. Which former City player was sent off twice in extra-time in the same competition during the same season ?

3. What unusual City goalscoring record is shared by two former defenders Paul Went and Mark Harris ?

4. Another two former defenders Lee Baddeley and Adam Matthews share the distinction of another unique goalscoring
    achievement. What is it ?

5. Which former City player scored an own goal in two consecutive league games ? (it's not Danny Malloy by the way)

6. During the 1970's City played four league games in 12 days and each game saw a future City manager playing for the
    opposing team. Who were the four managers and which teams were they playing for ?

7. Which former City player saved a vital penalty in a league game against Liverpool at Anfield ?

8. What City record was equalled by which City player in last Saturday's game at Reading and who is the former player
    that this record is now shared with ?

Re: City Quiz Questions

Tough questions, but is number 5,Andy Jordan. i think he scored two dogs in only 3 games for us.

Q6 Wrexham, Rotherham, Sheff Wed and Shrewsbury. 8th to 20th March 76. May,Goodfellow,Mullen and Durban. Thank you Wikipedia.

Q6 correct Eric. Q5 not Andy Jordan

Just off out to watch the Under 21s, but I think number 3 might be they both scored for us before we signed them.

That's correct for no 3 Paul. Both scored own goals for us before we signed them, Went while with Charlton in 1972 and Harris while with Gillingham in 1996. Enjoy the game.

Can question 4 be unique if two players have done it?

Only asking because I'm mardy at not knowing any of the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Can question 4 be unique if two players have done it?

Only asking because I'm mardy at not knowing any of the answers.
    Probably not ! Perhaps 'unusual' would have been a better word .

I think 8 is Peter Whittingham and Brian Clark although I'm buggered if I can remember what the record was!

Is number two Tony Vidmar? Sent off in two League Cup games in his second season with us?

No 2 is correct Paul. Vidmar was sent off in extra -time at both Kidderminster and Bournemouth during our Carling Cup campaign of 2004-5. It's not Clark and Whittingham for Q8 though.

Regarding number four, I'm thinking own goals straight away with Baddeley involved, but I think Matthews' only goal for us came from about fifty yards out and could the only "proper" goal Baddeley scored for us come from a similar distance?

Number seven, I'll go for Ron Nicholls as a complete guess.

I reckon number eight may be Sammy Ameobi for the most substitute appearances in a season - as for who he's sharing it with, I've not got a clue, maybe Rudy Gestede?

You're heading in the right direction with Baddeley. Ron Nicholls was a good guess for no 7 but wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    You're heading in the right direction with Baddeley. Ron Nicholls was a good guess for no 7 but wrong !
    There's the famous own goal Matthews scored at Ipswich and I can remember Baddeley scoring quite a comical og at Fulham - they were both headers, but that's hardly unique/unusual.

It's got to be around the time Nicholls played for us hasn't it? Vearnecombe?

Sammy Ameobi is right for q8. It was his 24th sub appearance in the league this season which equals the record of a fairly legendary player of the last 10 years. Gestede was close to the record with 22. You're very close with Baddeley and Matthews but it wasn't the nature of the own goals that was relevant ('heading in the right direction' wasn't meant to be a clue). As far as no 7 is concerned, you or I wouldn't have been there but our Dads would probably have been quite excited at the time. It wasn't Vearncombe.

No 7 Graham Vernacombe

Sammy Ameobi is right for q8. It was his 24th sub appearance in the league this season which equals the record of a fairly legendary player of the last 10 years. Gestede was close to the record with 22. You're very close with Baddeley and Matthews but it wasn't the nature of the own goals that was relevant ('heading in the right direction' wasn't meant to be a clue). As far as no 7 is concerned, you or I wouldn't have been there but our Dads would probably have been quite excited at the time. It wasn't Vearncombe.
    The other must be Earnshaw.
    Spedger

Eddie Johnson for number 8. Is number 4 that Baddeley and Matthews both scored own goals having come on as subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Eddie Johnson for number 8. Is number 4 that Baddeley and Matthews both scored own goals having come on as subs?
    Both questions correct. Baddeley and Matthews both scored own goals having come on as subs and Eddie Johnson held the record of most substitute league appearances in a season -24 in 2008/9. I would be stunned if Ameobi doesn't comfortably beat that total in the remaining games of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    The other must be Earnshaw.
    Spedger
    Or if not, McCormack maybe?

Another guess, this time for number 1 - Kenny Miller in a Scottish Final?

Not Kenny Miller as far as I'm aware. The person I'm thinking of we would have watched in our younger days.

Not Kenny Miller as far as I'm aware. The person I'm thinking of we would have watched in our younger days.
    So we're talking a Welsh Cup Final then I reckon. I can remember Raikovic getting sent off for the jacks against us in 1982 I think it was, but there's something in the back of my mind about Mel Sutton being sent off against Wrexham - probably wrong though.

As for the goalkeeper who saved the penalty against Liverpool, how about Ron(?) Howells?

I'm thinking that the answer to the own goals in successive matches question comes from that season I checked when we scored about fifteen of them, so I'll go for Alf Sherwood.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 22-03-16 at 09:51.