+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Quiz Questions

Re: City Quiz Questions

No 1 Don Murray was sent off in a Welsh cup final (65/66 I think) we were playing the Jacks and were 3-0 at the time. We went on to lose 5-3 in extra time ,I was there and not very happy.

The Murray sending off against Swansea in 65/66 was in a 5th round match but we are talking Welsh Cup Finals for number 1. For a second Paul, I thought you had the answer to no 7 but it wasn't Ron Howells. The consecutive own goals came a few years after Alf Sherwood's time.

That's my fill of City goalkeepers from the 50s Richard - don't know any others. I see from the way the question is worded, that he may well not have been playing for City when he saved the penalty, so I'll guess again at Jon Hallworth.

Graham Coldrick used to score a few own goals.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    The Murray sending off against Swansea in 65/66 was in a 5th round match but we are talking Welsh Cup Finals for number 1. For a second Paul, I thought you had the answer to no 7 but it wasn't Ron Howells. The consecutive own goals came a few years after Alf Sherwood's time.
    TOBW had the right answer but to the wrong question. Ron Howells started that Liverpool game but it was Alf Sherwood who saved the penalty.

Well done Loramski - it was indeed Alf Sherwood who went in goal when Ron Howells went off injured in our match at Anfield in April 1954 and saved a Billy Liddell penalty in our 1-0 win. Our win relegated Liverpool. Just the Cup Final sending off and consecutive own goals to get now (not Coldrick by the way).

Dick Scott was sent off in the first leg of the 1964 final at Bangor.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Dick Scott was sent off in the first leg of the 1964 final at Bangor.
    Correct !.

I'll have one more guess at the double own goal scorer and then retire as gracefully as someone who got the right answer to the wrong question can do - Bobby Ferguson.

Not Ferguson Paul but someone who left the club just before you started watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Tough questions, but is number 5,Andy Jordan. i think he scored two dogs in only 3 games for us.
    You're thinking of Kerrea Gilbert mate.

Time I think to put a few people out of their misery regarding question 5. Frank Rankmore was the player who scored own goals in consecutive league games. The first came in a 2-2 draw with Aston Villa in the last match of the 1961/62 season and he then repeated his feat in the first match of the 1962/63 season - a 4-4 draw with Newcastle. Those were the only own goals Rankmore scored while with City.

Time I think to put a few people out of their misery regarding question 5. Frank Rankmore was the player who scored own goals in consecutive league games. The first came in a 2-2 draw with Aston Villa in the last match of the 1961/62 season and he then repeated his feat in the first match of the 1962/63 season - a 4-4 draw with Newcastle. Those were the only own goals Rankmore scored while with City.
    Good stuff, thanks for those. Take the rest of the year off though.

Correct !.
    Apologies for being a bit late for this party but is this answer correct in relation to the wording of the question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Apologies for being a bit late for this party but is this answer correct in relation to the wording of the question ?
    It was certainly the answer I had in mind.

It was certainly the answer I had in mind.
    I thought he was a City player when he was sent off and not a former one. Perhaps I am wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I thought he was a City player when he was sent off and not a former one. Perhaps I am wrong ?
    It threw me a bit too (and question 7) but then I realised most of the questions were worded like that. I'm guessing he was going to ask "which Cardiff City player was sent off in a Cup Final?" but thought it would look like he was asking about the current squad so stuck 'former' in there. Now it looks like he's asking 'who left Cardiff City then got sent off in a Cup Final?', as you say. "Who got sent off in a Cup Final playing for Cardiff City?" would have read better, you can probably come up with something better.

Ambiguity in any of the questions was fully intentional.

Ambiguity in any of the questions was fully intentional.
    So you're 100% certain that no other former Cardiff City player has ever been sent off in any cup final, at any level, at any sport, at any time? That must've taken some checking.

Blimey !! This quiz was supposed to be a bit of fun. If it does indeed transpire that some other former City player was sent off in a cup final I will respectfully declare question 1 to be null and void !
    Alternatively, I could rephrase the question along the lines of - Which former City player who shares his surname with a famous ill-fated Antartic explorer, got sent off in the first leg of a Welsh Cup Final in 1964 ?

Blimey !! This quiz was supposed to be a bit of fun. If it does indeed transpire that some other former City player was sent off in a cup final I will respectfully declare question 1 to be null and void !
    Alternatively, I could rephrase the question along the lines of - Which former City player who shares his surname with a famous ill-fated Antartic explorer, got sent off in the first leg of a Welsh Cup Final in 1964 ?
    Not sure he played for us but is it Graham Oates?

Wasn't he the one who got injured and took himself off ?

Wasn't he the one who got injured and took himself off ?
    That's him, bitterly cold that day if I remember rightly. He just walked out of the ground and no one saw him again, a bizarre incident.