+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: council tax reform?

council tax reform?

Just saw this on bbc news, any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35880769

Re: council tax reform?

A rarity for PC but this seems a reasonable idea.

I'm assuming it's cost neutral?

from what i've read into it, yeah cost neutral.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply abolish council tax and just increase income tax and rates to cover it? There would be decent administration savings to be had if councils didn't need to process payments, chase up late/non-payments etc. Money could simply be transferred from central government with little fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to simply abolish council tax and just increase income tax and rates to cover it? There would be decent administration savings to be had if councils didn't need to process payments, chase up late/non-payments etc. Money could simply be transferred from central government with little fuss.
    What about people with more than one home?

How would you begin to go about taxing people with larger homes more in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    What about people with more than one home?

How would you begin to go about taxing people with larger homes more in this scenario?
    If you can assume people with larger homes have greater incomes then the increases in income tax could rise so the more wealthy contribute more. As for people with more than one home, aren't most of those rented out?

Interesting questions though.

I could also see a fair bit of dodging going on by those not paying tax by PAYE

Also - if this were to be adopted, Feedback might actually get to use the Bessemer road recycling centre, and we simply can't allow that to happen