+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching The People vs O.J. Simpson?

Anyone watching The People vs O.J. Simpson?

Didn't like the look of it when I first saw it on iPlayer, the thought of Cuba Gooding Jr playing OJ didn't sit right and some of the other cast members were a bit questionable as well.

I gave it a go anyway, and when I saw John Travolta playing Robert Shapiro complete with comedy eyebrows and overblown Jewish mannerisms, I nearly turned it off. I'm glad I persevered.

I'm on episode 8 now and this show turned out to be one of the best things I've watched in years, it's absolutely fascinating. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that it's a true account of what happened, and how much of a circus that whole thing was at the time.

It also turns out that Travolta absolutely nailed his portrayal of the real life Shapiro.

I was a teenager at the time of the trial and it wasn't really on my radar so finding out exactly what happened before and during that trial has been a revelation.

I could go on but just give it a few episodes if you haven't already, it's compelling stuff.

Re: Anyone watching The People vs O.J. Simpson?

I'm watching it and enjoying it too, as you say it wasn't up to much at the start but well worth watching now

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Didn't like the look of it when I first saw it on iPlayer, the thought of Cuba Gooding Jr playing OJ didn't sit right and some of the other cast members were a bit questionable as well.

I gave it a go anyway, and when I saw John Travolta playing Robert Shapiro complete with comedy eyebrows and overblown Jewish mannerisms, I nearly turned it off. I'm glad I persevered.

I'm on episode 8 now and this show turned out to be one of the best things I've watched in years, it's absolutely fascinating. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that it's a true account of what happened, and how much of a circus that whole thing was at the time.

It also turns out that Travolta absolutely nailed his portrayal of the real life Shapiro.

I was a teenager at the time of the trial and it wasn't really on my radar so finding out exactly what happened before and during that trial has been a revelation.

I could go on but just give it a few episodes if you haven't already, it's compelling stuff.
    Thought the same so gave it a miss. Will try and give it a watch now.

Travolta's doing a Mr Blobby impression

I think he's guilty

I watched the original trial on TV in the USA and some here in the UK broadcast on Sky. The dramatisation is superb and it's great to see the characters develop. Had no idea that Marcia Clark was going throughsuch turmoil in her private life while the trial was going on. The only weak link is Travolta who looks as though he has had a lot of bad plastic surgery.

Blog Entries

What channel is it on? I watched quite a bit of the original trial too, it was fascinating at the time, can't remember much about it now mind.

what ****ing programmes have you been in you ****

questioning famous actors and that

ill ruin the end for you , he's found not guilty

nob

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    What channel is it on? I watched quite a bit of the original trial too, it was fascinating at the time, can't remember much about it now mind.
    It's on the iPlayer now, well worth a looksie, especially if you have more than a passing interest in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesinceuwer2m8 View Post
    what ****ing programmes have you been in you ****

questioning famous actors and that

ill ruin the end for you , he's found not guilty

nob
    OH MY GOD! REALLY!

Huge spoiler that, one of the most famous "Not Guilty" verdicts in history, bet nobody had a clue until you showed up with your worldly knowledge

I've been watching it, it's been really good so far, the treatment of Marcia Clark was appalling

Blog Entries

It's on the iPlayer now, well worth a looksie, especially if you have more than a passing interest in the case.
    I only noticed you said on the iplayer after I posted it :homer: (still missing)

I will give it a go then, the big question is do I wait until Steve is home in the hope that he will get in to it or enjoy it on my own without him moaning and just watch it when he's at work?

This American Life had a story of OJ's "prank" career including where he tried to sell white cars of the same make that he was in as he had his breakdown and played clips of OJ talking to the police.

I would be interested in finding out more about what happened and the series looks, based on my glimpse thus far, to be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    OH MY GOD! REALLY!

Huge spoiler that, one of the most famous "Not Guilty" verdicts in history, bet nobody had a clue until you showed up with your worldly knowledge
    woosh you spastic

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I only noticed you said on the iplayer after I posted it :homer: (still missing)

I will give it a go then, the big question is do I wait until Steve is home in the hope that he will get in to it or enjoy it on my own without him moaning and just watch it when he's at work?

Blog Entries

We playing hangman?

if you like

d_ldo

I had no idea you knew Shapiro in real life. What's he like?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This American Life had a story of OJ's "prank" career including where he tried to sell white cars of the same make that he was in as he had his breakdown and played clips of OJ talking to the police.

I would be interested in finding out more about what happened and the series looks, based on my glimpse thus far, to be decent.
    I had no idea he had done a prank show so I searched around for it and found this review on IMDB. I can't tell if it's genuine or satire:

Juiced with O.J. Simpson

Juiced may have been the funniest thing I have ever seen. It's just like Punk'D, except with O.J. Simpson. Let me say this, through all the murderin and burglarizing he done in the past, it hasn't affected his funny bone none...NONE! I was wondering what kind of pranks Juice would pull off, and lemme say, he didn't hold nothing back. There's one scene where he runs after a dude with a golf club like he was gonna smack him. I nearly lost it. Another scene the due goes to some bingo joint and messes with the old peoples. The old bums don't know what hit em!

Overall, definitely a great flick. I would recommend it for any date night or family be together night.

Also found this article written by a guy who appeared with OJ in the prank show, has a few stories about what it was like to work with him (OJ was mostly drunk and has no comedic abilities)

http://www.vice.com/read/i-was-oj-si...nk-show-juiced

Wow, the prank show was absolutely terrible. Here's some "highlights".

Blog Entries

if you like

d_ldo
    I have no idea.

It was strange to see so many people towering over the person playing OJ - and the actor just didn't seem to have that poise of the murdering sportsman.

krr

Heard about this show, it's been getting good reviews in the States so I was planning on watching it.

It sounds batshit crazy...

Watching it now and really enjoying it. Only thing wrong is OJ should definitely be played by a bigger, more physically imposing actor