+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Academies in England (education)

Re: Academies in England (education)

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    No, no, education in Wales is just fine.

Why are there such social and economic problems in Wales after 17 years of Labour power?

Surely enough time to turn things around!
    Why are there such social and economic problems in the UK after Thatcher, Blair (Tory) and Cameron?

People sleeping rough in England rose 30% from 2014 to 2015. Can't blame Labour for that, or are they just feckless layabouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why are there such social and economic problems in the UK after Thatcher, Blair (Tory) and Cameron?

People sleeping rough in England rose 30% from 2014 to 2015. Can't blame Labour for that, or are they just feckless layabouts?
    Blair was the Labour Prime minister for many years, he was not a Tory, sorry to disappoint. Much of the problems you refer to derive from his years in power.

When I heard Nicky Morgan saying it was " the right thing to do"(this is a stock Cameron phrase) to change tack over Academies because she had listened to teachers,parents etc it made my blood boil. Why the **** didn't she consult with them in the first place before trying to bulldoze through the Academisation of every school. Where was this huge educational change in their Election manifesto? Where was their mandate for all of this? How many more policies are going to crash and burn because of their Ill conceived dogma?

Blair was the Labour Prime minister for many years, he was not a Tory, sorry to disappoint. Much of the problems you refer to derive from his years in power.
    Shows how ****ing clueless you are.

Will Cam and Gideon force academy status on Eton?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Shows how ****ing clueless you are.
    And that response shows how classless you are. With that I'll leave there.

And that response shows how classless you are. With that I'll leave there.
    This is a thread about the forcing of schools to transfer to academy status and now the subsequent U turn. If you have nothing to say on the subject then yes that it is probably for the best.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This is a thread about the forcing of schools to transfer to academy status and now the subsequent U turn. If you have nothing to say on the subject then yes that it is probably for the best.
    Why is it that when this Government starts a policy the whole of the left thinking people are up in arms, and then when the Government actually listen to what is being said and pull back from implementing it, they are being 'forced into a U turn'?
    You cannot have it both ways. If the government is listening, then it's listening. How can that make you angry?
    Is it perhaps because they have removed a stick you might have wanted to beat them with?
    A Government that makes bad decisions then listens and changes them must be better than one that doesn't listen, or one that does nothing at all. What exactly do people want??

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why is it that when this Government starts a policy the whole of the left thinking people are up in arms, and then when the Government actually listen to what is being said and pull back from implementing it, they are being 'forced into a U turn'?
    You cannot have it both ways. If the government is listening, then it's listening. How can that make you angry?
    Is it perhaps because they have removed a stick you might have wanted to beat them with?
    A Government that makes bad decisions then listens and changes them must be better than one that doesn't listen, or one that does nothing at all. What exactly do people want??
    The U turn is a good thing.

I doubt it is due to the government listening to the arguments against the policy, more a desperate attempt to close off some of the internal Tory opposition that would stack up against them in the Euro vote.

There have been so many major U turns over the past couple of months that it is fair to question the judgement and competence of the government - that is still a stick worth beating them with.

I don't think I have shown anger about the U-turn, it is the correct decision. Unfortunately I don't think the opinions of the head teachers, teachers or parents who were against the policy had any impact at all on this decision. There was a groundswell of opposition to this policy amongst Tory MP's and also within Tory held councils across the country.

I am angry that a government can get so close to fundamentally and irreversibly changing our education system with no proof that it will improve standards. This was privatisation by the back door and there appeared to be, once again, little scrutiny of it as a policy in the press until the Tory backlash emerged.

The press continually refer to Corbyn as 'radical'. What could be more radical changing the legal status of every school in Britain on a whim?

I would imagine they will let the furore die down and then try and 'covertly' implement this policy any way they can, offering subsidies and grants that schools just can't turn down.

International

When I use the word 'you' in a general statement it is not directed at a particular person.
    The correct word is 'one' but were I to write in that way lots of people would call me a stuck up tory scum or a public school boy, because the usage of the English language has deteriortated so much over the years that if one was to write in the old style one would be thought of as being 'above one's station.'

That's a very convenient answer. They were trying to force successful schools to become academies. All schools. Where was this in their manifesto? Why did they not consult with the teaching profession about this before trying to force their ideology through? If a Labour Govt behaved this way they would be hammered by the press. They are trying to get away with this and yet again have been found out.

International

In what way is the answer"Convenient". It is just an answer.
    do you really mean "The answer doesn't fit with my ideological thinking?" Or do you intend to imply something else?

You conveniently ignore the fact that such a huge educational change was not in their manifesto. You conveniently ignore the fact that such a huge educational change was not even discussed with the teacher profession. Had they carried out proper consultation they would have known this was a non starter. You conveniently ignore the fact Cameron gloated in PMQT about this this policy being part of their legislation. You conveniently ignore the fact they have been forced to back down because of the hostily within their own party and the teaching profession.

They tried to force successful LEA schools down the privatised route. If these schools are already successful the only reason for change is ideological