Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tata steel to sell entire uk business

Re: Tata steel to sell entire uk business

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Presumably, the nail will be imported.
    China i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Agenda 2030, push public transit, remove free travel, toll roads EVERYWHERE.
    What free travel? A train journey costs money, a bus journey costs money, a car journey costs money.

I can see a driverless taxi service becoming common in most cities by 2035. I can't see it being the main mode of transport before 2050.

Benefits - no need to buy a car (saving thousands). No need to maintain a car (saving hundreds a year). Fewer cars on the road, meaning fewer accidents, and less road maintenance.
    Negatives - less freedom to drive where you want and when you want. Prices can be driven artificially high by profiteers (but oil companies do this anyhow). Cars may be unavailable during poor weather.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    It's never too late. If you fight you might lose. But if you don't fight you will always lose.
    Yeah I agree in one way but we have got to the point where we can help their agenda now, they didn't buy those water cannons for nothing, they know what's coming, they have been pushing people for ages, it wont take much to push us in to a police state if things kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    industry has been dead in the UK for a long time, this is just the final nail in the coffin, from a country who was proud and made great things we now do nothing
    The industrial revolution started 150 years ago and it's end was always likely to happen. 150 years ago, a 45 year old would be deemed to be an elderly person, and he would be working 16 hour days - living in a house where he would pay rent to the landowner who happened to be his boss. He could shop in the local shop, also owned by his boss, and no-where else.

Places of mass employment, like the old steelworks in Ebbw Vale, are disappearing forever. It will happen to Port Talbot too, maybe not in the next few years, but it will happen. We know it will happen because we all try to move heaven and earth to ensure that our kids aren't relying on steelworks for employment in the future.

It's not a sign that the country is getting worse - it's a sign that the world is changing its demands.

Yeah I agree in one way but we have got to the point where we can help their agenda now, they didn't buy those water cannons for nothing, they know what's coming, they have been pushing people for ages, it wont take much to push us in to a police state if things kick off.
    What? In this country? The streets would soon empty of protesters if they put a TOWIE special on MTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

It's not a sign that the country is getting worse - it's a sign that the world is changing its demands.
    I was with you till your last line

we still need steel though, the demands are still with us

I was with you till your last line

we still need steel though, the demands are still with us
    The country leads the way in computer game creation. These games sell millions. The difference is, these games can be produced by a small team of 30-40 people, and mass produced in a small factory unit.

There is a surplus of steel in the market, supply is outstripping demand. It's the same for all commodities at present.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/
    Last edited by Badly Ironed Shirt; 30-03-16 at 13:31.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    What free travel? A train journey costs money, a bus journey costs money, a car journey costs money.

I can see a driverless taxi service becoming common in most cities by 2035. I can't see it being the main mode of transport before 2050.

Benefits - no need to buy a car (saving thousands). No need to maintain a car (saving hundreds a year). Fewer cars on the road, meaning fewer accidents, and less road maintenance.
    Negatives - less freedom to drive where you want and when you want. Prices can be driven artificially high by profiteers (but oil companies do this anyhow). Cars may be unavailable during poor weather.
    Not free travel as in costing money, more like restricted travel, they want to make cities and human settlements inclusive and "safe" outside of those there will be high carbon taxes/footprint taxes for anyone wanting to travel.

We will all be having smart meters soon too, yay

Not free travel as in costing money, more like restricted travel, they want to make cities and human settlements inclusive and "safe" outside of those there will be high carbon taxes/footprint taxes for anyone wanting to travel.

We will all be having smart meters soon too, yay
    I also think that the days of people driving themselves around are numbered. To an extent that I don't think my kids will ever actually learn to drive a car.
    I don't see this as a negative thing though.
    There will be fewer accidents, less pollution, and a whole raft of other fringe benefits.
    The elderly or disabled will still be able to get around with less assistance.

I agree that people perhaps won't own cars, pools of cars will be parked in huge lots throughout the city, you'll silummon one when you need one and use it for your journey and then it'll park itself away again until it's needed again by the next person.
    Our streets will be free from parked cars, people won't be responsible for keeping the vehicles in a roadworthy condition.
    They'll probably be pay as you go eventually, which seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1927 View Post
    Bad news for the many thousands of people including me this will effect if a buyer can't be found (unlikely imo)
    Source?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I also think that the days of people driving themselves around are numbered. To an extent that I don't think my kids will ever actually learn to drive a car.
    There will be fewer accidents, less pollution, and a whole raft of other fringe benefits.

I agree that people perhaps won't own cars, pools of cars will be parked in huge lots throughout the city, you'll silummon one when you need one and use it for your journey and then it'll park itself away again until it's needed again by the next person.
    Our streets will be free from parked cars, people won't be responsible for keeping the vehicles in a roadworthy condition.
    There will be big changes because of the the UN sustainable development goals, lets hope it's all as rosy as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Source?

China i guess

china nails are crap IMO

just out of interest, how old are your children now ? ? ?

as your idea's for the future of cars imho is not going to happen soon

people love driving, look at the classic car lot, look at the people who use vehicles for activities they do, mountian biking, surfing etc etc ( the lifestyle choice vehicle, thinking of the VW T4 and 5 here )

it might work in the cities, but its not going to work for the " not the norm type of person "

It really is truly awful for those impacted and they gave my utmost sympathy.

However, we have to look forward and not backwards, we have had a steel industry for the past 150 years. That can't and won't ever last, impossible. We are seeing new technologies taking us forward, carbon fibre for cars rather than steel. Things will, have to and must move on, sadly.

And sadly their will be casualties with such progress.

I fully appreciate many will disagree and fully appreciate that personal abuse will follow or my views, but there we are.

Ever onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    It really is truly awful for those impacted and they gave my utmost sympathy.

However, we have to look forward and not backwards, we have had a steel industry for the past 150 years. That can't and won't ever last, impossible. We are seeing new technologies taking us forward, carbon fibre for cars rather than steel. Things will, have to and must move on, sadly.

And sadly their will be casualties with such progress.

I fully appreciate many will disagree and fully appreciate that personal abuse will follow or my views, but there we are.

Ever onwards.

you wish
    Last edited by Kiffa; 30-03-16 at 19:26.

Petition via Twitter now has over 50k signatures already. Another 50k will trigger a Parliamentary debate.

just out of interest, how old are your children now ? ? ?

as your idea's for the future of cars imho is not going to happen soon

people love driving, look at the classic car lot, look at the people who use vehicles for activities they do, mountian biking, surfing etc etc ( the lifestyle choice vehicle, thinking of the VW T4 and 5 here )

it might work in the cities, but its not going to work for the " not the norm type of person "
    Youngest is 2- so fifteen years until he starts to drive, if he does. I think it is entirely plausible that self driving cars will be commonplace by then.

This has now become a hot topic in the EU referendum campaign

The brexit bunch are saying that if we were out we could put a big price hike on imported steel, which should play well.
    On the other hand, the EU have been trying to impose a 60% rise on Chinese steel, but the Tories have been blocking it!
    That would be a far more effective measure, as it would help the steel industry without disadvantaging UK manufacturers against EU ones.

This has now become a hot topic in the EU referendum campaign

The brexit bunch are saying that if we were out we could put a big price hike on imported steel, which should play well.
    On the other hand, the EU have been trying to impose a 60% rise on Chinese steel, but the Tories have been blocking it!
    That would be a far more effective measure, as it would help the steel industry without disadvantaging UK manufacturers against EU ones.
    May well be a chess game being played on this issue then

This government is a ****ing joke.

Out of interest did you vote in the general election?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    May well be a chess game being played on this issue then
    So sad its being played with peoples futures

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gnasher View Post
    Out of interest did you vote in the general election?
    Out of interest why do you keep asking me that?

curious.