+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Despite the recent successes, I still want Slade replaced

Despite the recent successes, I still want Slade replaced

I have to admit that Slade has done far better than I thought he could, and under difficult conditions but I still want him replaced at the end of this season.

Despite having a biggish budget and some decent players we will at best scrape into the play offs in one of the worst championships in living memory. That's not good enough.

I don't think Slade knows how to set up a team with a recognised style of play to provide a platform for long term success.

He persists with playing Pilkington and Immers upfront despite neither being an out and out striker. Both are excellent players but they are not natural finishers nor can they play with their backs to the opposition to help bring other teammates into play. However, when he was given cash to bring in strikers he bought absolute garbage.

Slade also stayed too loyal to players who are out of form. Case in point is his current policy of picking Malone regardless of his form.

His policy of stifling young talent like John and O'Sullivan has been well documented here and I can see no immediate improvement in this aspect.

I also doubt his ability to bring in big players to Cardiff which we will need to get into the premiership.

Finally, I don't think he has the personality to galvanise and lead a mad, bad club like Cardiff. We need a tub thumper at the helm and not an imitation of a geography teacher.

He seems a decent man, and he has led us to calmer waters so he can leave us with his head held high. But we need someone else if we are to kick on and get back amongst the big boys again.
    Last edited by ninianboy; 04-04-16 at 10:09.

Re: Despite the recent successes, I still want Slade replaced

Quote Originally Posted by ninianboy View Post

He persists with playing Pilkington and Immers upfront despite neither being an out and out striker. Both are excellent players but they are not natural finishers nor can they play with their backs to the opposition to help bring other teammates into play. However, when he was given cash to bring in strikers he bought absolute garbage.
    Immers is probably our best exponent of playing with his back to the opposition and helping to bring team mates into play for as many years as I care to remember.

He's not perfect but I'd give him another season whatever happens.

Supportig the club is the best it's been since Malky's first season, we are difficult to beat and are playing some good stuff despite having to offload 2 strikers (Mason and Jones) without replacing them.

Away games are back to their feel good best in the stands and the fan base is united again, with a great deal of it being down to slade.

It we'd achieved this with a young, foreign, good looking coach people would be climbing over each other to read him poems and weep in his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Immers is probably our best exponent of playing with his back to the opposition and helping to bring team mates into play for as many years as I care to remember.
    Agreed one of the strongest players with his back to goal we've seen. Not to mention how intelligent and hard working he is.

Immers playing behind the striker is what's led our good form imo.

I have to admit that Slade has done far better than I thought he could, and under difficult conditions but I still want him replaced at the end of this season.

Despite having a biggish budget and some decent players we will at best scrape into the play offs in one of the worst championships in living memory. That's not good enough.

I don't think Slade knows how to set up a team with a recognised style of play to provide a platform for long term success.

Slade also stayed too loyal to players who are out of form. Case in point is his current policy of picking Malone regardless of his form.

His policy of stifling young talent like John and O'Sullivan has been well documented here and I can see no immediate improvement in this aspect.

I also doubt his ability to bring in big players to Cardiff which we will need to get into the premiership.

Finally, I don't think he has the personality to galvanise and lead a mad, bad club like Cardiff. We need a tub thumper at the helm and not an imitation of a geography teacher.

He seems a decent man, and he has led us to calmer waters so he can leave us with his head held high. But we need someone else if we are to kick on and get back amongst the big boys again.
    I disagree there, I think this season is a strong championship. A number of clubs have spent pretty big money to chance their arm at going up, and several of them won't.
    In terms of our playing budget we aren't in the top few clubs in the league any more, so can't reasonably expect a divine right to be at the top of the table.
    Added to this, a large portion of the playing budget was being wasted on very expensive players who weren't justifying their wages, which was tying Slade's hands somewhat.
    He has managed to take a lot of this cost off the books while at the same time improving results on the pitch, which is no mean feat.
    Yes we aren't using a recognised striker at the moment, but that is an area we could easily strengthen in the summer.
    I also share concerns about playing style and development of youth, and perhaps we have stumbled across our current style, but I think he's just about done enough to be given another season to develop the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Supportig the club is the best it's been since Malky's first season, we are difficult to beat and are playing some good stuff despite having to offload 2 strikers (Mason and Jones) without replacing them.

Away games are back to their feel good best in the stands and the fan base is united again, with a great deal of it being down to slade.

It we'd achieved this with a young, foreign, good looking coach people would be climbing over each other to read him poems and weep in his presence.
    Yes I think he deserves another year.Trollope at his side has made a difference -in the circumstances he has done a good job off the field and not too bad a job on it.Club is becoming re-united and change at any level won't help.
    My expectations for this year have been exceeded already.

Agree bringing through youth players is an issue but what city manager hasn't it been an issue? In fact what club does bring through that many youth players these days.

Maybe our academy players aren't as good as we are led to believe?

I am puzzled about Declan John though, I'm sort of hoping this is more down to slade being stubborn than him going backwards as he looked a real prospect. I suppose he is still very young and there's plenty of time for him to develop yet.

Banned

tubthumper
    A fart released whilst one is seated in a bathtub or other receptacle filled with water or other liquid.
    As Joan farted during her herbal bath and saw the string of bubbles wobble furiously to the surface, she thought to herself, "My goodness! That was a real tubthumper!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    tubthumper
    A fart released whilst one is seated in a bathtub or other receptacle filled with water or other liquid.
    As Joan farted during her herbal bath and saw the string of bubbles wobble furiously to the surface, she thought to herself, "My goodness! That was a real tubthumper!"
    Sorry Russ you gotta go.

I was one of those calling for his head every week last year and for large parts of this year but you have to give the man credit.

When you say he has had a huge budget, has he really? He was clearly brought in to do the dirty work of cutting the wage bill and I don't believe he's spent big money on anyone?

He's made some good signings such as Immers and Lawrence and from what very little I've seen of Saadi I really like, just strange that he seems to refuse to play him or Zohore so he does have to answer to that I guess.

I think that the formation that has worked of late and coincided with our turn around in fortunes is something he stumbled upon when we had no fit strikers but it has worked so you can't knock him for our form in the past few months.

As for your comments on having no target men, agree with the above, Immers does that better than almost anyone I can remeber in recent years at Cardiff.

Whatever happens he deserves a huge thank you for helping to stabalise the club in a very rocky time when he was brought in to do a horrible job under a lot of pressure. It would have been easy for the club to do what other teams relegated from the prem have doen over the years and snowball down the leagues but we're actually in a very good position as a club again.

If we were to stay in the Championship then I wouldn't be dissapointed with him having another season. If however by some miracle we make it up through the playoffs then I think the Premiership is definitely a step too far for him. By all accountrs he's a very good man manager but he's certainly lacking tactically. Would be a strange situation but think it would be a case of thank you very much, heres a nice bonus but afraid it's goodbye. And I'm sure he'd have a few clubs lining up for his services.

Very very loosely termed . If oor Russ instigated the transfer fee for that lad he should be knighted.
    Unfortunately I doubt it , our bumbling buffoon has to move along for a proper manager, He will go with my appreciation of a job well done thought.

Where is this money he has been given?? I haven't seen any. He came to the club with a job of drastically reducing the player costs. He has got rid of the high paid players, introduced a few cheap players. He came to completely change the way we were doing things. Gone are the days of wasting 10's of millions at a time. He has stopped this club heading back towards administration, if things carried on that was a near certainty. His other job was to do this whilst keeping us in the championship. We are inches away from the playoffs instead.

The guy has excelled at the job he came here to do. Far outdone what he was meant to do.

But saying that I wouldn't want him here in the Prem should we make it. I have only ever seen him as a stop gap, to allow the club to restructure, until we are in a position to try again. He has done an amazing job, but some of it has been luck. And you dont get much luck in the Prem as a new team.

I'm shocked that we've finally found some stability and now people want a change.

Changing managers very rarely works out, look at derby for instance.

Especially now the squad seems happy and to be putting the effort in every week again why would anyone want to upset this?

For every Malky Mackay there's an ole solkjear who comes in wastes a ton of money and sets the club back years.

City fans need to be careful what they wish for.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Sorry Russ you gotta go.
    Yeah let's get shot of him and bring in Bellamy.

Agreed one of the strongest players with his back to goal we've seen. Not to mention how intelligent and hard working he is.

Immers playing behind the striker is what's led our good form imo.
    I agree but his best position is somewhat deeper linking between midfield and striker.

I agree but his best position is somewhat deeper linking between midfield and striker.
    That's basically where he's been playing bar the last 15 against Derby.

The guy is constantly on the move might be why you've seen him as more of a striker but he's definitely been playing between both positions.

I seem to remember at the start of the season there was general consensus on the following:

i) Slade wouldn't cut it - too inexperienced
    ii) top 10 finish would be respectable
    iii) play in blue and we'll return

Well to be fair, Slade HAS cut it and exceeded expectations already. Do we deserve playoffs? Maybe, maybe not but I cant see us making it through to promotion in any case. So here's where I agree with many. If we stay in the Championship, then Slade has earned another season (which I will watch now that I am returning to Wales). If we get promoted, then either Tan has to back down on his previous comments (about wanting the longest running manager in football) and get a seasoned manager in or we will head straight back down again under Slade.

There is a 3rd option. We get promoted and Slade surprises every last one of us and Cardiff become the new Leicester!! Tell ya what, there's a few would bend over forwards for Slade to see that happen.

Slade has to go at the end of the season NQAT , especially if we somehow fluke promotion.

I'm really pleased for Slade as he seems a decent fella. However I do think the current team set up and tactics were forced on him , and we would still be lumping balls to Kenwynne if he was here.
    Also who really chose to bring in Immers?

Either way ,I think he has helped the feel good factor back at the club, and he deserves another shot at closed season and a Championship season if we miss out.

Things are always better with a Trollope by my side !

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Slade has to go at the end of the season NQAT , especially if we somehow fluke promotion.
    So if we reach playoffs and dont make it up, he should still go? Why?

If we get promotion I wouldn't want to see us then change manager. That would be a bit scummy.

I'm more inclined to leave things as they are despite my misgivings over whether Russell has the ability to make the next step up.

The reasons for this are:

1. I've no idea under what constraints he's had to work in terms of personnel and budget but do remember he had to make do with Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon as coaching assistants initially - it was not until Trollope arrived that we really started to get some shape.

2. I'd want to know what he was able to deliver when able to spend a reasonable transfer budget, not just look for bargain basement signings

3. Most importantly, we've got some stability and a returning sense of the feelgood factor at present. I'm enjoying the football on offer (though not sure this is not just relief in comparison with what's gone before) which is a major factor in wanting to spend my money on a season ticket, and I think a return to an OGS type appointment would just about kill the club at this stage in its existence.

4. If change were needed I'd be much more inclined to leave Russ in his current position and bring in Bellamy to work with him to add a bit of excitement than I would be to change things too much right now.

There is no right answer to this question - just look at the mess Mourinho and Gaal have made at their clubs - but right now I think stability has to underpin everything. Let's get the fans coming back into a supportive atmosphere and see where we go from there.

Biggish budget? We're under a transfer embargo

I think Slade is doing well enough, actually. He's clearly had to work under constraints (more than was the case for his immediate predecessors), and he's had to put up with a lot of instability as more expensive players have been let go often at short notice. Recent signings have been promising: more so, granted, than some of the earlier signings Slade made. But on balance, sitting where we are now in a competitive division: I'm generally content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Yeah let's get shot of him and bring in Bellamy.
    Good idea.

Or simply a more experienced more appropriate manager.....