+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Been asked to register as self employed for laborer job (advice) ?

Been asked to register as self employed for laborer job (advice) ?

Hi I have been offered some work working as a builders mate, but he has asked me to register as self employed to get a tax code for him, is this a normal procedure for this type of work ?

Re: Been asked to register as self employed for laborer job (advice) ?

You'll need a UTR number to give to him otherwise you'll get stopped 40% tax. Once he's got your UTR he'll stop you 20% tax. If you earn under the tax exemption threshold you can claim back what you've been stopped at the end of your financial year. Register self-employed with the tax office and they'll send you a UTR in a couple of weeks.

Okay thanks I will have a look into it now, didn't know I would have to do all this, it is only 2-3 weeks of part-time work, while I am out of education for a bit, does this mean I will have to do my self assessment tax returns and all that at the end of the year ?

Two or three weeks work? not worth registering self employed, you won't pay any tax if earning less than £10000 a year. Can't he put you on the books for a few weeks?

That is what I thought he would do to be honest, But it sounds like it is a 3rd party contract, as my UTR code is wanted for the account of the individual who has offered the work to this builder, if that makes sense ?

I'm sure I've read that you don't have to register self employed if you are going to earn less than £2500, may be wrong though.

Best bet is to ring the tax office mate, I've never worked through a third party, I usually sub direct to the main contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I'm sure I've read that you don't have to register self employed if you are going to earn less than £2500, may be wrong though.
    Okay cheers for you help so far, I will do some reading into it tonight, interesting to learn about anyway. If it turns out I need to get a code even if it is just for a few weeks, its no big commitment is it? I guess I can just cancel after the job and wont be out of pocket or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Best bet is to ring the tax office mate, I've never worked through a third party, I usually sub direct to the main contractor.
    Will do

how good a mate is he ? ? ?

as for 2 - 3 weeks, he could bill the contractor your hours and get paid for them, he would then have your money