+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Film 16

Film 16

Time we started having some decent film reviews on this board.It doesn't just have to be about recent releases here films though.
    Just watched The Gift on Netflix. It's a nice,edgy chiller well worth watching.
    Other recent films worth a watch on Netflix are Lives of Others about the Stazi control of artists in East Germany in the 80's.
    A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman is also very decent.

Re: Film 16

Had high hopes for Hail, Ceasar! as I've enjoyed the Coen Brothers movies over the years but while the cinematography was interesting, the storyline was not.

Also watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, it was alright, a bit quirky but I enjoyed it.

Yep going to watch Grand Budapest Hotel but planning on watching Naked Among Wolves next.

Good idea seem to struggle to find decent movies these days

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Good idea seem to struggle to find decent movies these days
    That'sbecause many modern films are crap.
    Especially those "found footage" garbage, and shite remakes of really good films.

"Carrie" is a good example of the latter category.
    Almost scene-by-scene remake, admittedly with better effects (strings were clearly visible on 'flying knives' in the original).
    But they changed the final part - and took out the bit that actually made the film worth seeing!

Good idea this.

Saw 'Youth' earlier in the week.

I thought it was a really engaging film, great photography and very quirky - light and shade.

The hardcore cinemarati reviwers generally seemed to describe it as beautiful but flawed, but then again they seem to be judging it as an attempt at a modern day Fellini .
    If you dont worry about making such comparisons, its definitely worth a watch.
    Caine is as unlike Caine as I've ever seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Had high hopes for Hail, Ceasar! as I've enjoyed the Coen Brothers movies over the years but while the cinematography was interesting, the storyline was not.

Also watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, it was alright, a bit quirky but I enjoyed it.

Hail Ceasar was a major disappointment. So much acting talent so badly wasted.

It goes without saying that Batman v Superman should be avoided like the plague,it takes a special talent to make a film with 2 of the most famous and recognizable superheroes ever into such a dull film. I couldn't even encourage my 11yo to go and see it after seeing the trailers, wish i hadn't bothered seeing it myself.

Finally caught up with the brilliant Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this week though,loved every minute of it, highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

Liked The Grand Budapest Hotel.
    Good cast and had me laughing on a number of occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    That'sbecause many modern films are crap.
    Especially those "found footage" garbage, and shite remakes of really good films.

"Carrie" is a good example of the latter category.
    Almost scene-by-scene remake, admittedly with better effects (strings were clearly visible on 'flying knives' in the original).
    But they changed the final part - and took out the bit that actually made the film worth seeing!
    I watched the witch a few weeks ago, absolutely loved it. I'm quite a fan of horror films and this is the best one I've seen for ages. It's not horror by numbers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    I watched the witch a few weeks ago, absolutely loved it. I'm quite a fan of horror films and this is the best one I've seen for ages. It's not horror by numbers at all.
    Looks like a good call. The witch has got very good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Looks like a good call. The witch has got very good reviews.
    Seen "The Witch" a couple of weeks back and thought it was good.
    Not much in the way of jumpy moments but for intensity it was very good.

Also seen The Boy recently too.
    Had a lot of potential from the beginning but left kind of disappointed.
    Not the worst modern horror I've seen, though.

If you like comedy or superhero films, Deadpool is the film to see, incredibly funny and full of jokes that most films wouldn't try but knew when it had to be serious

The Dark Knight trilogy is great, although the third instalment is a bit of a disappointment compared to the other 2 which are incredible films, Nolan knew Batman had to be gritty and different to the Marvel films to succeed and he (like the films) was successful

Watched Still Life on Netflix the other week, very good film starring Eddie Marsan, nice twist at the end, definitely worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If you like comedy or superhero films, Deadpool is the film to see, incredibly funny and full of jokes that most films wouldn't try but knew when it had to be serious

The Dark Knight trilogy is great, although the third instalment is a bit of a disappointment compared to the other 2 which are incredible films, Nolan knew Batman had to be gritty and different to the Marvel films to succeed and he (like the films) was successful
    I also liked Deadpool although I didn't expect to. It's full of "in-jokes" if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Watched Still Life on Netflix the other week, very good film starring Eddie Marsan, nice twist at the end, definitely worth watching.
    I watched this on Friday night. It's a very good film and EM is an excellent actor. I'd have preferred something a bit more lively on a Friday evening though. Last night I watched Kajaki which was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I watched most of it through my fingers.

I caught a few minutes of Sharknado last night. The storyline followed that well trodden hollywood path of sharks getting stuck in a tornado and attacking people in LA. Script was excellent and Tara Reid, as ever, was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I caught a few minutes of Sharknado last night. The storyline followed that well trodden hollywood path of sharks getting stuck in a tornado and attacking people in LA. Script was excellent and Tara Reid, as ever, was incredible.

Puts Jaws to shame

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I watched this on Friday night. It's a very good film and EM is an excellent actor. I'd have preferred something a bit more lively on a Friday evening though. Last night I watched Kajaki which was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I watched most of it through my fingers.
    Great film that, I thought.

Kajaki is a good film but it's a tough watch. Brave that it was made without any background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    It goes without saying that Batman v Superman should be avoided like the plague,it takes a special talent to make a film with 2 of the most famous and recognizable superheroes ever into such a dull film. I couldn't even encourage my 11yo to go and see it after seeing the trailers, wish i hadn't bothered seeing it myself.

Finally caught up with the brilliant Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this week though,loved every minute of it, highly recommended if you haven't seen it.
    Had high hopes for this film but was an absolute mess , storyline was terrible ,Eisenbberg(sp) was annoying as Luthor Jnr . After the film there was a petition setup to take Zack Snyder(the director) off of the Justice League film as he can't tell a story well on screen

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Deadpool I loved (wasn't expecting to) but was really funny

A good film on Netflix if you like horror is "the Babadook" it's not a slasher but it's creepy all the way through

The Babadook is decent but not original. Thought it would be better given the positive reviews.