Thread: Film 16

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blue in the Face

Re: Film 16

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    57 horror, thriller and sci-fi movies worth watching:

http://imgur.com/a/a2JJu
    Thanks for this list. Some cool modern grindhouse films on here. "Bug" is my favourite (that I've seen) on that list. Made by William Friedkin who always makes great stuff. Also the Snowpiercer director made a great film in South Korea called "The Host" which is so so good.

BTW I've been perving on this board for some time without being bothered to type anything myself. I think it was you that recommended "The People Vs OJ Simpson"?? I watched it all. The best telly I've seen in a while so thanks for the tip off.

Second Pearcy's tips for There Will Be Blood and The Lives of Others. Slow West had some cool scenes. Made by one of the guys from The Beta Band.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 02-05-16 at 15:27.

57 horror, thriller and sci-fi movies worth watching:

http://imgur.com/a/a2JJu
    There are a lot of films on that list I really liked and a number more I have marked out to watch. I'll definitely be looking at a few I haven't heard of as well, thanks for posting it.

Of the ones I've seen I reckon blue ruin and pontypool are worth a mention (not sure what donkey punch and turistas are doing on there mind!)

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    There are a lot of films on that list I really liked and a number more I have marked out to watch. I'll definitely be looking at a few I haven't heard of as well, thanks for posting it.

Of the ones I've seen I reckon blue ruin and pontypool are worth a mention (not sure what donkey punch and turistas are doing on there mind!)
    Blue Ruin is very moody, dressed up as an art film, though it's sort of a simple straight up revenge flick. Pontypool is disappointingly not Welsh but is good fun. Very low budget. Nods to other zombie/horror flicks that have a radio stations in the story. Donkey Punch is total poo. Will avoid Turistas thanks!

The best movie so far that I have watched was "Life is Beautiful". A movie that shows how much a father can love his son and his family.

Looking forward to this one - great soundtrack too!

Top recent films that explore the nature of humanity:

http://imgur.com/gallery/G9kjI

Started watching High Rise on Kodi tonight.

After being perplexed by several scenes of street dancing (and not a glimpse of Keeley Hawes), I realised that there were two film titled High Rise released this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Started watching High Rise on Kodi tonight.

After being perplexed by several scenes of street dancing (and not a glimpse of Keeley Hawes), I realised that there were two film titled High Rise released this year.

I didn't realise this either.

Has anyone seen inherent vice? I started watching it but was with a crowd who were chatting so couldn't get into it. Is it worth watching?

Top recent films that explore the nature of humanity:

http://imgur.com/gallery/G9kjI
    Good list again, cheers. My watchlist is rapidly expanding.

Was recommended 'the lobster' tonight as well. Might give it a go in a bit.

The Last King of Scotland was very good. About to watch The Assassination of Jesse James

Watched The Witch this evening. Didn't like it at all.

The Intouchables is a really great film from the most unlikely material. It's French and you need the subtitles to fully understand it unless you're fluent in French.

Another feelgood film if you're into real-life stories is 'The World's Fastest Indian'

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The Intouchables is a really great film from the most unlikely material. It's French and you need the subtitles to fully understand it unless you're fluent in French.

Another feelgood film if you're into real-life stories is 'The World's Fastest Indian'
    Good shout, I enjoyed The Intouchables.

Blog Entries

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm dying to know how it ends.

31 Dark drama movies:

https://imgur.com/gallery/AelBw

31 Dark drama movies:

https://imgur.com/gallery/AelBw
    Good to see Lives of Others on that list. A very good film.

Brad Pitt was surprisingly good in The Assassination of Jesse James. The dialogue was a bit mumbled in places but it's a well crafted film with good cinematography and well worth watching.

Loved every superhero second of Civil War, breath of fresh air after BvS.

Zoolander 2 was bloody awful, really enjoyed the first one but this one didn't even raise a smile.

Would have enjoyed 10 Cloverfield lane a lot more if it had finished 10mins earlier,the ending seemed tacked on due to the title.

Just watched Defiance on Netflix about the Belarussian Jews being forced to survive in the forest for three years following the Nazi purge in 1941. It's got mixed reviews but I enjoyed it.

Re-watched Moneyball recently

Excellent film, Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill showing why they're 2 of the best actors in Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Excellent film, Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill showing why they're 2 of the best actors in Hollywood
    Yep Ned to watch this. It's good good reviews. Pitt is a much better actor than I ever gave him credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

If you enjoyed this its well worth watching The Big Short (about the worldwide banking crisis in 2008), starring Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale and Steve Carell amongst others. Both adapted from books written by the same author (The Blind Side is also based on one of his works).

The film is very stylishly made with some quality performances (especially by Steve Carrell) and takes a novel approach to explaining some complex ideas. The only downside is it will make you very angry - especially the ending.

Saw Central Intelligence the other night, far better than you expect a Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson film to be .
    Laughed pretty much the whole way through, full of plot-holes but good dumb fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    If you enjoyed this its well worth watching The Big Short (about the worldwide banking crisis in 2008), starring Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale and Steve Carell amongst others. Both adapted from books written by the same author (The Blind Side is also based on one of his works).

The film is very stylishly made with some quality performances (especially by Steve Carrell) and takes a novel approach to explaining some complex ideas. The only downside is it will make you very angry - especially the ending.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out

Blue in the Face

A few more to add having re-watched these this week...

"Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" (Nic Cage actually amazing again and perfectly cast)

"Mud" (One of my favourite films from the past few years)

"Behind the Candelabra" (Michael Douglas plays Liberace. Feels like a modern day re-working of Pictures of Dorian Gray. Not a film for homophobes)