+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Film 16

Re: Film 16

Into the Wild on Netflix is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless who shuns conformity and goes hitch-hiking across the US with the ultimate aim of living life in Alaska. Beautifully filmed,intelligent and poignant with Emile Hirsch superb in the lead role.
    It won't suit everybody's tastes but I thought it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Into the Wild on Netflix is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless who shuns conformity and goes hitch-hiking across the US with the ultimate aim of living life in Alaska. Beautifully filmed,intelligent and poignant with Emile Hirsch superb in the lead role.
    Agree, great film. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    If you enjoyed this its well worth watching The Big Short (about the worldwide banking crisis in 2008), starring Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale and Steve Carell amongst others. Both adapted from books written by the same author (The Blind Side is also based on one of his works).

The film is very stylishly made with some quality performances (especially by Steve Carrell) and takes a novel approach to explaining some complex ideas. The only downside is it will make you very angry - especially the ending.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out

Blue in the Face

Love "Into the Wild". "The Pledge" is another film directed by Sean Penn that I like a lot. I seem to remember his first film "Indian Runner" being good too.

If you like Into the Wild, you may enjoy a film from the '70s called "The Passenger" starring Jack Nicholson. Bit more art-house I guess. But similar in that its a broody road movie with loads of space to think...

Cheers for that. Will look out for The Passenger.

Just got back from watching tale of tales. Really enjoyed it. Pretty weird and definitely not a Hollywood type of film but if you don't mind that then I'd recommend giving it a go (without wanting to give anything away).

Not a DVD but in Chapter at the moment is the Green Room. Excellent film. Very tense all the way through and some real "look away" moments. If you get a chance to watch it, do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Not a DVD but in Chapter at the moment is the Green Room. Excellent film. Very tense all the way through and some real "look away" moments. If you get a chance to watch it, do.
    I saw that a few weeks ago on a download, really enjoyed it but wasn't sure if i saw a cut version as all reviews i read said there was some extremes scenes in it.
    Maybe its just me but i didn't think it was that brutal.
    Cracking film though and a damn shame about Anton Yelchin who was really good in in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I saw that a few weeks ago on a download, really enjoyed it but wasn't sure if i saw a cut version as all reviews i read said there was some extremes scenes in it.
    Cracking film though and a damn shame about Anton Yelchin who was really good in in.
    If you didn't think it was all that brutal I suspect you may have seen a sanitized version of it. One scene in particular brought an "oooohh" from the whole audience. Not that I'm trying to sell it on it's gore-factor. It wasn't a typical slasher movie as you genuinely had no idea for much of the film who was going to be around in the final scenes.

And it's got a Dead Kennedys song in it :)

You can always check the parents guide on IMDB to see if the extreme scenes were included on the version you saw.

I saw it a while ago (recommended in this thread) and like you didn't think it was that shocking. Maybe we've just seen too many video nasties! It definitely had a few scenes that caused a stir from the audience though.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    You can always check the parents guide on IMDB to see if the extreme scenes were included on the version you saw.

I saw it a while ago (recommended in this thread) and like you didn't think it was that shocking. Maybe we've just seen too many video nasties! It definitely had a few scenes that caused a stir from the audience though.
    As an 80s kid that is certainly possible.
    Excellent film either way.
    Looking forward to Neon Demon next, heard Kermode compare it to Argento and Fulci in style on his show,right up my alley.

As far as horror films go, the conjuring is certainly one of the better films I have seen in the last decade.
    Waiting for a decent copy on kodi to watch the conjuring 2 which is supposed to be even better and scarier.

Enjoyed RACE the other night, even if it is yet another film that displays anything anti Nazi propaganda.

As an 80s kid that is certainly possible.
    Excellent film either way.
    Looking forward to Neon Demon next, heard Kermode compare it to Argento and Fulci in style on his show,right up my alley.
    I'm looking forward to this too. Went to the cinema on Friday to watch the remastered version of deep red, it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_blue View Post
    As far as horror films go, the conjuring is certainly one of the better films I have seen in the last decade.
    Waiting for a decent copy on kodi to watch the conjuring 2 which is supposed to be even better and scarier.

Enjoyed RACE the other night, even if it is yet another film that displays anything anti Nazi propaganda.
    I liked the Conjuring 2 but I thought it was a bit schizophrenic. Half of it was 1970s London realism, not too dissimilar to the Tim Spall "Enfield Haunting" version of the story. The other half was flash bang, US, glossy skinned, standard horror fare. As I said, I enjoyed it but it was a bit of a mess in all honesty.

I'm looking forward to this too. Went to the cinema on Friday to watch the remastered version of deep red, it was great!
    That was the first thing i bought when i first got a DVD player,great film.

Watched Robert Carlyle in The Legend of Barney Thomson on Netflix recently. Carlyle's directorial debut - really good black comedy which also stars Emma Thompson and Ray Winstone. The Glasgow locations are impressive, and Emma Thompson gives a scene-stealing performance which is quite macabre.

Also watched Pride the other day, a film I didn't think I'd enjoy but bloody brilliant.

Emma Thompson was great in that film. I enjoyed it too. Pride is superb, especially if you lived through that era in a mining community.

That was the first thing i bought when i first got a DVD player,great film.
    It was the first time I'd seen it - I'd somehow managed to miss it, despite being an Argento fan! Obviously not that much of a fan. I was a little obsessed with suspiria and tenebrae though.

It's unrelated to argento stuff, but I watched tale of tales last night at the cinema. You may enjoy that.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ne-salma-hayek

This is kermode's review of it.

It was the first time I'd seen it - I'd somehow managed to miss it, despite being an Argento fan! Obviously not that much of a fan. I was a little obsessed with suspiria and tenebrae though.

It's unrelated to argento stuff, but I watched tale of tales last night at the cinema. You may enjoy that.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ne-salma-hayek

This is kermode's review of it.
    Looks interesting.
    May have to wait for a digital release as the only local showing i can find is Penarth Pier tomorrow.
    Different...

Edit, just found it on a download site.
    I'll watch it once i've made my way through Stranger Things.
    Last edited by Charlie; 18-07-16 at 14:48.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Thought it was shite but hey, what do I know.

I didn't get on with Green Room either but in fairness its not my type of film. Watched it because of the positive reviews.

On the subject of enjoying films I didn't think I would, I thought the Eddie the Eagle flick was a pretty easy watch but I think you may have to be old enough to remember the events for it to have any resonance even if its apparently taking a few of liberties with the back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_blue View Post

I thought the first one was better

The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. A fight for survival in Alaska following a plane crash. Entertaining with great cinematography. Very corny ending and the dialogue was weak in places. The film also renders Hopkins almost super human. So a bit far-fetched but if you are a bit bored this will while away a couple of hours.

Blue in the Face

The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. A fight for survival in Alaska following a plane crash. Entertaining with great cinematography. Very corny ending and the dialogue was weak in places. The film also renders Hopkins almost super human. So a bit far-fetched but if you are a bit bored this will while away a couple of hours.
    There's a film I love called "hell in the pacific" from the sixties that has a similar set up. It's set during the war. Toshiro Mifune and Lee Marvin are two rival soldiers and stranded on a Pacific island together.

Watched the duel the other day was good with woody Harelson and Liam hemsworth. Can't wait to see free state of Jones with Mathew
    mcconaughey