+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAO The Sparkies on here

FAO The Sparkies on here

In the process of gutting out a room and wanting to extend a ring main to add a few sockets to the room, as it only has one socket there currently.

Now, opening up this socket, there are 3 wires going in. 2 of them old style and one of them new style. the new style ones are going up to the converted loft. My suspicion is that whoever put the loft in has spurred of the ring main, but proceeded to line up 4 sockets upstairs off this spur.

My understanding is that this doesn't comply with building regs, and to fix the issue there needs to be a fuse before the first socket on the spurred set, to protect the ring main.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks

Re: FAO The Sparkies on here

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    In the process of gutting out a room and wanting to extend a ring main to add a few sockets to the room, as it only has one socket there currently.

Now, opening up this socket, there are 3 wires going in. 2 of them old style and one of them new style. the new style ones are going up to the converted loft. My suspicion is that whoever put the loft in has spurred of the ring main, but proceeded to line up 4 sockets upstairs off this spur.

My understanding is that this doesn't comply with building regs, and to fix the issue there needs to be a fuse before the first socket on the spurred set, to protect the ring main.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks
    Only know basics so hopefully someone can provide a better answer.

Each floor should have its own fuse. And lighting fuses can only be used on 1 or 2 floors. So there should probably be another fuse for the lighting in the attic.

Though if you have oldwires it is likely you have more problems than just what you have highlighted.

Don't take another spur from that plug. Can only have 3 wires. Take it from another plug, or put the plug in between and run up to attic from new plug. Will work for now, but not building controlled.

The specific issue is, that my understanding is that you can only spur to an extra 1 socket from each individual socket. It looks like whoever did the loft spurred off the ring main, and then carried the spur on to 3 other plugs after that. Which i think is a bit of a no-no.

The specific issue is, that my understanding is that you can only spur to an extra 1 socket from each individual socket. It looks like whoever did the loft spurred off the ring main, and then carried the spur on to 3 other plugs after that. Which i think is a bit of a no-no.
    You are correct you can only spur one socket off another

One single or one double socket can be spurred off each socket on the ring. What you can do is turn the existing spur to the four sockets into part of the ring. To do this all you need to do is take a 2.5mm cable from the socket its spurred off straight to the final of the four spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    One single or one double socket can be spurred off each socket on the ring. What you can do is turn the existing spur to the four sockets into part of the ring. To do this all you need to do is take a 2.5mm cable from the socket its spurred off straight to the final of the four spurs.
    You'd have 4 sets of wires into the one socket then wouldn't you? Not sure that's good.

Besides, without ripping up flooring etc that's not an option.

Edit: I think I know what you're getting at now, but yeh its too far away and all floorboarded/plastered up
    Last edited by Kiffa; 10-04-16 at 16:53.