+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing in a good job for happyness

Packing in a good job for happyness

Anybody ever been brave enough to do this?

I've recently found myself getting more and more down in work. I don't have a normal job and work away a lot, which has helped me earn a decent income 40k+ at 25. The problem is with a wife and 2 children at home being away has pushed me to a feeling of dread and depressed thoughts (wondering how bad it would be to be injured and have time off)

Now I have no degree and the jobs in my field would all be working away so I would need a complete change. Does anybody have any success stories to cheer me up? Or jobs would also be good

Re: Packing in a good job for happyness

I'm older than you and earn considerably less, I have been offered three jobs in the last year and a half with a larger salary but much less favourable hours and working conditions so I turned them all down. Coincidentally my wife has an interview this morning for a job which has a bigger rate of pay but with shorter hours, so she'll be earning less, but it's a job with much less stress than she currently has and its two miles from home.

Managed to do it and keep a similar wage by becoming self employed.

Love being able to see my child all day and being around. Life is too short to worry about money. Dont miss your childrens life, life itself it too short, a child is only young for a couple of years. Plenty of time in later life to go and earn a good wage.

Keep it up for a few months more, save everything you can and then focus of life in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    I'm Willing to bet that the dalai lama did not say that.

Yep,

Both myself and the wife have done similar recently.
    I jumped off the merry-go-round a couple of months ago and would now describe myself as 'semi-retired'.
    I do a much, much simpler job part time, and a bit of self employed as and when.

My wife gave up a highly pressured job and now works for a charity four days a week.

Life is better. We are not doing without anything that we need, nor even anything that we want.

I would say though that we are in our v. early 50's and don't have clothe or feed anybody else other than occasional helping out, and we have no mortgage and we are not especially materialistic.

Rather than get stuck in a an unhappy rut, there is nearly always another way, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You're correct. The original quote was by James J Lachard in an "Interview with God". However, the full quote is just as profound:

I dreamed I had an interview with God.

“So you would like to interview me?” God asked.

“If you have the time”, I said … God Smiled.

“My time is eternity, … what questions do you have in mind for me?”

“What surprises you most about humankind?” …

God answered.

“That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up and then long to be children again”

“That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health.”

“That by thinking anxiously about the future, that they forget the present, such that they live neither in the present or the future.”

“That they live as if they will never die and die as if they had never lived.”

God’s hand took mine and we were silent for a while. And then I asked.
    “As a parent, what are some of life’s lessons that you want your children to learn?”

God replied with a smile.

“To learn they cannot make anyone love them, what they can do is let themselves be loved.”

“To learn that it is not good to compare themselves to other.”

“To learn that a rich person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

“To learn that it only takes a few seconds to open profound wounds in persons we love and it takes many years to heal them.”

“To learn to forgive by practicing forgiveness.”

“To learn that there are persons who love them dearly, but simply do not know how to express or show their feelings.”

“To learn that two people can look at the same thing and see it differently.”

‘To learn that it is not always enough that they be forgiven by others, but that they must forgive themselves.”

“And to learn that I am here … ALWAYS.”

James J. Lachard (Jim Brown)

A mate of mine gave up a job in Finance in London to set-up a landscaping business in his native Yorkshire. He had no skills or training but just fancied the outdoor lifestyle.

Several years on and he's got loads of regular clients. Has had a contract for 2 months in California every year (his missus if from LA). He loves it and the only trouble he has is turning stuff away.

From thinking he was a bit of a nutter I'm now quite envious.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    You're correct. The original quote was by James J Lachard in an "Interview with God". However, the full quote is just as profound:

I dreamed I had an interview with God.

“So you would like to interview me?” God asked.

“If you have the time”, I said … God Smiled.

“My time is eternity, … what questions do you have in mind for me?”

“What surprises you most about humankind?” …

God answered.

“That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up and then long to be children again”

“That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health.”

“That by thinking anxiously about the future, that they forget the present, such that they live neither in the present or the future.”

“That they live as if they will never die and die as if they had never lived.”

God’s hand took mine and we were silent for a while. And then I asked.
    “As a parent, what are some of life’s lessons that you want your children to learn?”

God replied with a smile.

“To learn they cannot make anyone love them, what they can do is let themselves be loved.”

“To learn that it is not good to compare themselves to other.”

“To learn that a rich person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

“To learn that it only takes a few seconds to open profound wounds in persons we love and it takes many years to heal them.”

“To learn to forgive by practicing forgiveness.”

“To learn that there are persons who love them dearly, but simply do not know how to express or show their feelings.”

“To learn that two people can look at the same thing and see it differently.”

‘To learn that it is not always enough that they be forgiven by others, but that they must forgive themselves.”

“And to learn that I am here … ALWAYS.”

James J. Lachard (Jim Brown)
    I'm willing to bet that God didn't say any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

I used to have a pretty well paid job, I was good at it and reasonably successful, but it got to the stage where I was waking up on Sunday mornings and my first thought was "oh crap it's Monday tomorrow". I switched to a lower paid job, with less travel, less pressure and now wake up on Sunday looking forward to Monday.

As always a good set of replies to give me some direction! As a few have said about self employment, this is the direction I'd love to go in, but have the same worries as I'm sure everyone else does, of failing and letting family down.

My job is very niche, in fact I'm the only person in the UK that does it (Which is why I haven't said what it is as you never know who's reading!) So it would be a complete change which is what's so frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I used to have a pretty well paid job, I was good at it and reasonably successful, but it got to the stage where I was waking up on Sunday mornings and my first thought was "oh crap it's Monday tomorrow". I switched to a lower paid job, with less travel, less pressure and now wake up on Sunday looking forward to Monday.
    Your still wishing your life away.

go for the money, happyness isn't really all that its made out to be.

Richyrich

I quit my job and decided to become an international playboy, best move I ever made. Wish I'd thought of it years ago.

I spent a lot of my life chasing dosh and shiney things.
    Whilst I dont regret it I wouldnt advise anyone to make shiney things their goal.
    Life is for living money is just paper, you need some but you dont need loads.

Quote Originally Posted by dave jones attacking sub View Post
    My job is very niche, in fact I'm the only person in the UK that does it (Which is why I haven't said what it is as you never know who's reading!) So it would be a complete change which is what's so frightening.
    Do you sell soap in the SE area of South Wales?

As always a good set of replies to give me some direction! As a few have said about self employment, this is the direction I'd love to go in, but have the same worries as I'm sure everyone else does, of failing and letting family down.

I never knew prince Charles was a city fan.

Anybody ever been brave enough to do this?

I've recently found myself getting more and more down in work. I don't have a normal job and work away a lot, which has helped me earn a decent income 40k+ at 25. The problem is with a wife and 2 children at home being away has pushed me to a feeling of dread and depressed thoughts (wondering how bad it would be to be injured and have time off)

Now I have no degree and the jobs in my field would all be working away so I would need a complete change. Does anybody have any success stories to cheer me up? Or jobs would also be good
    I was in a similar position about 20 years ago. I was made redundant (along with about 40 others) when my company pulled out its UK R&D facility but was able to walk into an excellent job immediately – an offer I couldn’t refuse as I had a family to support and a mortgage to pay. It was in technical sales with a £60K salary (double what I had been earning) plus a 5% non-contributory pension, a company car, and with all expenses paid. I knew within a matter of weeks that it was not going to work as I was away from home from Sunday night to Friday night and saw the family just on the weekends. I dreaded Sundays because I knew that I would be back on the road again that evening.

However my wife and I realised that despite everything I could not just walk away from the job and we agreed that I should stick it out whilst looking for something else. This I did and it took about 8 months. I got a job which was about 15 minutes from home. I took a huge drop in salary (back to what I had been earning before) but what an improvement on the quality of life! No amount of money can ever compensate.

So my advice would be to stick it out whilst looking for something new, as it’s always easier to get new employment whilst employed rather than unemployed (hope you can follow that!).

If your job really is that Niche, can you not go self employed in your current industry, set up a similar company that you currently work for, try and take some of their accounts (Its not illegal), or perhaps look at consultancy work if it is a growing market.

Just something to think about.

Agree with the advice about sticking it for now but keep a look out for something else. If you feel like this at 25 you do need to change careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Managed to do it and keep a similar wage by becoming self employed.

Love being able to see my child all day and being around. Life is too short to worry about money. Dont miss your childrens life, life itself it too short, a child is only young for a couple of years. Plenty of time in later life to go and earn a good wage.

Keep it up for a few months more, save everything you can and then focus of life in front of you.
    Thanks for that, it really suck with me as I feel I've missed so much of the first and its happening with the second all over again. Did you go self employed in the same area or something new? I have good business acumen but am always searching for what I could do.

Without being too simplistic, you'll never get back the things you miss out on with your kids and no amount of money will compensate for that.

One of the few regrets I have is that I missed out on those precious first few months when my eldest was born.

Saying that, it didn't seem too bad when the next one came along and I got to experience the joys of night feeds, puke, shit, endless screaming and stroppy missus.