+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Warburton and his magic hat. A REAL manager

Mark Warburton and his magic hat. A REAL manager

What a difference this guy has made to Rangers. We played Celtic 12 months ago and were lucky to get away with a 2-0 beating. This guy has transformed Rangers . They play lovely possession football as opposed to the hoofball and hope we were playing 12 months ago.

What a manager he would have made for Cardiff, we would have walked this league. I hope he stays at Rangers but those that think Slade is the future need to open their eyes.

Re: Mark Warburton and his magic hat. A REAL manager

I'd have liked Warburton here but would he have come in the state we were a few years ago?

Lots of ifs and buts in this game and I'm trying not to get too judgemental while being pissed off about messing up chances to gain ground in the last 2 matches...

I cant argue there are a load of if and buts . Warburton joined Rangers when they were in total disarray. Signed three or four players from England within a budget I would imagine and off loaded quite a few high earners who were not making an impression (sound familiar Ian?)
    Within a couple of months he had totally transformed Rangers . Recent results, and performances, against Scottish Premier league teams showed Rangers had come on leaps and bounds. The owner has stated money will be available for the Premier league so Rangers will only get stronger. I hope Rangers can hold on to him, and Cardiff find another Mark Warburton.
    Slade has done an ok job but Cardiff need a better manager to push on.

and he makes smashing crumpets too.
    The man has no end of talents.

In fairness my nan could probably manage a team to record points promotion up there.

And she's been dead for 20 years......

Yer when you think what Lennon done up there with Celtic and what he did with Bolton, there is just no comparison between the 2 leagues

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    In fairness my nan could probably manage a team to record points promotion up there.

And she's been dead for 20 years......
    TruBlue out with his fishing rod shocker...

Didn't Warburton manage in the championship previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I cant argue there are a load of if and buts . Warburton joined Rangers when they were in total disarray. Signed three or four players from England within a budget I would imagine and off loaded quite a few high earners who were not making an impression (sound familiar Ian?)
    Within a couple of months he had totally transformed Rangers . Recent results, and performances, against Scottish Premier league teams showed Rangers had come on leaps and bounds. The owner has stated money will be available for the Premier league so Rangers will only get stronger. I hope Rangers can hold on to him, and Cardiff find another Mark Warburton.
    Slade has done an ok job but Cardiff need a better manager to push on.
    Can't argue with the clear parallels Jimmy, but Cardiff has never been an attractive destination for either players or managers - no matter what we might think of the place. All things being equal I'd have chosen Warburton over Slade if that was an option at the time. However we have RS not MW and it's really not possible to know what Warburton would have made of the job to be done. He may not have been able to work under Tan's 'guidance' for instance.

Do I think Russell Slade can achieve promotion for us? Yes - but he's going to need more support on the tactics and player acquisition side of things. Slade's strengths are clearly making players bond and managing the club - not the actual playing of the match. Perhaps he might be persuaded to just do that role at the club while we blood a new manager without putting the pressure on him of calling him the manager?

In terms of who I'd like to see then it would be for Bellamy to come in to the coaching staff in place of Scott Young - who I REALLY do not rate having seen how he treated some of our players when he was in charge - in order to make the place more interesting for prospective players. We do need a few 'names' around to set a standard I think.

I'm actually looking forward to next season already - this one was always a write-off for me and I'm amazed we're even in with the chance we've got...

Are we as fans really ready for a Warburton ?

All i hear when we try to play is "get it forward". For years we have been brought up on kick and rush, for many Slade feeds that desire/philosophy.

The Brighton game was an anomaly, kicking it long to a big un is all a lot of our fans want to see, not forgetting "passion" of course

I have it on goođ aurthoity that Warbs will be replacing slade this summer. Mcoist will be back to Gers immintly.

Watp#

TruBlue out with his fishing rod shocker...

Didn't Warburton manage in the championship previously?
    Did he walk the league?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Are we as fans really ready for a Warburton ?

All i hear when we try to play is "get it forward". For years we have been brought up on kick and rush, for many Slade feeds that desire/philosophy.

The Brighton game was an anomaly, kicking it long to a big un is all a lot of our fans want to see, not forgetting "passion" of course
    I think it would take time but Swansea had Kenny Jacket before Martinez and they adapted soon enough.

I truly think our club must form some kind of identity on the pitch instead of having to go through the huge overhaul of styles when we change management every time.

The next appointment is massive for us and I hope it's not someone like Warnock or Pulis but someone like Warburton.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Can't argue with the clear parallels Jimmy, but Cardiff has never been an attractive destination for either players or managers - no matter what we might think of the place. All things being equal I'd have chosen Warburton over Slade if that was an option at the time. However we have RS not MW and it's really not possible to know what Warburton would have made of the job to be done. He may not have been able to work under Tan's 'guidance' for instance.

Do I think Russell Slade can achieve promotion for us? Yes - but he's going to need more support on the tactics and player acquisition side of things. Slade's strengths are clearly making players bond and managing the club - not the actual playing of the match. Perhaps he might be persuaded to just do that role at the club while we blood a new manager without putting the pressure on him of calling him the manager?

In terms of who I'd like to see then it would be for Bellamy to come in to the coaching staff in place of Scott Young - who I REALLY do not rate having seen how he treated some of our players when he was in charge - in order to make the place more interesting for prospective players. We do need a few 'names' around to set a standard I think.

I'm actually looking forward to next season already - this one was always a write-off for me and I'm amazed we're even in with the chance we've got...
    Some fair points there Penarth. I do believe Slade's biggest strength is in forging a team spirit, but as you say tactically he is out of his depth and at times I think he thinks he's still at Yeovil or Grimsby.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Some fair points there Penarth. I do believe Slade's biggest strength is in forging a team spirit, but as you say tactically he is out of his depth and at times I think he thinks he's still at Yeovil or Grimsby.
    Agree with this. I've said the same thing, but using Orient as the example.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Did he walk the league?
    No. No he didn't. He took little ole Brentford to the play offs despite being told he was getting the bullet. Not only did he take them to the play offs but they played with a certain style, same style Rangers are now playing with.

Do you think Warburton would have been a better choice over Slade?
    Do you think Slade is the future for Cardiff City?

Wharburton would have been my choice to have come In when he left Brentford, a great manager.

Crazy to think he hasn't been involved in football for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Yer when you think what Lennon done up there with Celtic and what he did with Bolton, there is just no comparison between the 2 leagues
    For years Celtic and Rangers dominated which lead to greater TV money which lead to further domination. It's possible that with Rangers self-destructing due to poor off-the-field play Lennon benefited by keeping things simple and letting the Celtic feeling carry them, neither of which were at Bolton where he actually had to manage. It's also possible that there were numerous other factors and Lennon may be closer to his Celtic record than Bolton one.

Mark Warburton has had a good record everywhere outside the top league which will be tested next year. He left Brentford because they wanted a European model which might reduce the number of jobs willing to look at him but I'd certainly have him next year or after next year when Slade leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    For years Celtic and Rangers dominated which lead to greater TV money which lead to further domination. It's possible that with Rangers self-destructing due to poor off-the-field play Lennon benefited by keeping things simple and letting the Celtic feeling carry them, neither of which were at Bolton where he actually had to manage. It's also possible that there were numerous other factors and Lennon may be closer to his Celtic record than Bolton one.

Mark Warburton has had a good record everywhere outside the top league which will be tested next year. He left Brentford because they wanted a European model which might reduce the number of jobs willing to look at him but I'd certainly have him next year or after next year when Slade leaves.
    Mark Warburton has n`t had to put up with what Slade has in the last 18 months. A club disliked by a large majority of it`s own fans and not wanted by a large majority of those fans.
    Mark Warburton has got a club promoted to the championship and a club promoted to the Scottish Premier league I think he has found his level.
    Apart from anything else he was never coming to the City and he is n`t likely ever to either so it`s all hypothetical.

Mark Warburton has n`t had to put up with what Slade has in the last 18 months. A club disliked by a large majority of it`s own fans and not wanted by a large majority of those fans.
    Mark Warburton has got a club promoted to the championship and a club promoted to the Scottish Premier league I think he has found his level.
    Apart from anything else he was never coming to the City and he is n`t likely ever to either so it`s all hypothetical.
    Slade has managed through a difficult period, true, but that doesn't mean he can't be critiqued fairly, although so often it hasn't been.

If we are making a not always fair comparison then Warburton has got a club promoted to the Championship (Slade hasn't), Warbuton has got a club into the Championship play-offs (Slade hasn't), Warburton has played a role in identifying a striker from the lower leagues with the potential to be the Championship top scorer (Slade hasn't), Wartburton has been Championship manager of the month (Slade hasn't?), Warburton helped set up a tournament for under19's and signed players seen to be part of his Championship first team (Slade hasn't) and Warburton has won a league title (Slade hasn't).

Slade has managed through a difficult period, true, but that doesn't mean he can't be critiqued fairly, although so often it hasn't been.

If we are making a not always fair comparison then Warburton has got a club promoted to the Championship (Slade hasn't), Warbuton has got a club into the Championship play-offs (Slade hasn't), Warburton has played a role in identifying a striker from the lower leagues with the potential to be the Championship top scorer (Slade hasn't), Wartburton has been Championship manager of the month (Slade hasn't?), Warburton helped set up a tournament for under19's and signed players seen to be part of his Championship first team (Slade hasn't) and Warburton has won a league title (Slade hasn't).
    As you said a not always fair comparison.

Bloody hell and to think Slade's got 25 years on him

And still you vote Slade.

That was game set and match. Slade is a loser and so will we be as long as he is in charge

Terrific manager who sends his teams out to entertain. No comparison whatsoever.

And still you vote Slade.

That was game set and match. Slade is a loser and so will we be as long as he is in charge
    I`m not voting for anyone I just think it`s an unfair comparison.
    Slade has done ok in hard circumstances.
    Warburton took a side up from a lower league kept a side together and got to the Playoffs in the championship .
    He also took a club 100 times the size of any in the Scottish second tier to the top tier.
    I can`t understand how so many so called fans want Slade to fail.

Agreed, there are a numerous different factors that could explain why, in black and white terms, Warburton has had better results than Slade. I don't give too much stock to winning a league title or manager of the month as those especially tend to ignore wider contexts (a manager getting 5 points from 12 to go from 22nd to 21st is unlikely to win manager of the month even if the job deserves more recognition than those further up the league) but there are things such as Slade not identifying anyone of note from the lower leagues who can make the step up, let alone two of the current top twenty goal-scorers in this league, despite spending nearly twenty years in those divisions which should be noted.

Warburton took a side up from a lower league kept a side together and got to the Playoffs in the championship
    Didn't Warburton take over a side that had lost out on a top two finish in the last 30 seconds then lost out on a play-off final again in the last 30 seconds and managed them to automatic promotion? The same side was then taken into the play-offs in the league above at the first time of asking playing some of the most attractive football around.

We also shouldn't forget how TOBW described this club before/in Slade's early time here (along the lines of "a drunk dramatically swaying from one direction to the next"), how much we have shown in the last few months or how others in similar disarray would snatch at a Russell Slade type record. He probably deserves a new contract but only for another year and then I hope we can go get a Warburton like character.