+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Singer Prince dead

Re: Singer Prince dead

Great talent.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Sorry,my post was meant to say,he was taken ill last week when flying home.
    Not quite ill. !

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainme...6XP?li=BBoPWjQ

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If anyone can name me anyone who could play bass drums keyboards , Hendrix like guitar and brass to his level then name them ......he wrote , produced and played almost all the instruments on all his albums , he was the greatest musician of most of our lifetimes , multi layered , multi talented , micheal Jackson ? Is someone having a laugh ?
    Well that surprised me to be honest but totally correct.

Gutted RIP

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    More talented than Lennon, Bowie, Hendrix, Jackson, Elvis.....????
    Yes, I believe so - Sludge has already answered your question in the way I would have done, Prince used to do the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    More talented than Lennon, Bowie, Hendrix, Jackson, Elvis.....????
    Lennon (one of my musical heroes) was a great songwriter, but not so great as a guitarist.

Bowie likewise.

Hendrix - great guitarist, decent song writer,

Jackson decent songwriter (not as good as Prince), never saw him with a musical instrument.

Elvis - a good singer of middle-of-the-road dirges.

This may shock people (and I am not a huge Prince fan) - but the only person that comes close in my lifetime is Paul McCartney (1962-70 and a few things afterwards) who was a good musician as well as an exceptional songwriter at his peak.

Prince is definitely one of the top 2 most talented musicians of my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    First time I've seen it too. Mesmerizing, and seemingly so effortless!
    That video's been played to death in the Evans household. I read somewhere that there was some resentment from some of the others on the stage about Prince's "show stealing", but what else can you do when you're that good?

If anyone can name me anyone who could play bass drums keyboards , Hendrix like guitar and brass to his level then name them ......he wrote , produced and played almost all the instruments on all his albums , he was the greatest musician of most of our lifetimes , multi layered , multi talented , micheal Jackson ? Is someone having a laugh ?
    There's some good multi-instrument artists, Sufjan Stevens plays a load, Mike Oldfield once said that the only instrument he couldn't get to grips with was the violin, yet I've heard him play it and he was ok.

Prince, simply amazing, however I think musician's should be measured by their musical legacy, personally I think Bowie's back catalogue is more impressive, Lennon's Beatles stuff must put him up there. Music is very subjective, I'd put Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson above Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. RIP Prince, undoubted genius.

If we are comparing talents, then TBF Hendrix was a game-changer when he arrived on the scene and he invented the guitar style that Prince adopted (for his rockier numbers at least), though Prince did take the sound, change it up a bit and make it his own.

Some others are credited with styles that Prince channelled, but hey that's rock'n'roll .. (or ..funk.. jazz .. dance .. soul .. hip-hop .. blues ..)
    Lennon and McCartney (&George Martin) were game changers too, as was Bowie, Elvis.
    Prince maybe less of a game changer? But a superb refiner and re-definer.
    Not taking anything away from the maestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    His playing at the end of this is stunning.

Wow, well done, that is ****ing amazing.

The man was genius. He wrote a lot of tracks in one night, played every instrument on said tracks (27 instruments in total) and laid it down in the studio to play back to members of New Power Generation when they strolled in the next morning.

We are gutted me and the missus. The only thing we agree on is Prince' genius

I love the smile dhani harrison gives him as he takes centre stage for the While My Guitar solo. And he continues to wear throughout the rest of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That video's been played to death in the Evans household. I read somewhere that there was some resentment from some of the others on the stage about Prince's "show stealing", but what else can you do when you're that good?
    To be fair everyone's contribution is flawless, and I wasn't aware Prince was there from the footage until a fair way in. However, when he starts his solo the whole thing just goes up another level...

love the way he throws the guitar off at the end and saunters off like "yeah, what you gonna do now"

struggling big time with this as anyone who knows me will realise

saw him live 60 plus times, would give anything to see just one more

another side to him, funny interaction with an intimate crowd

oh and another spellbinding performance of course

Clapton was asked what's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?His reply ask Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I love the smile dhani harrison gives him as he takes centre stage for the While My Guitar solo. And he continues to wear throughout the rest of the song.
    Yes his smiles spoke volumes, reflecting a magical song made more magical by the ensemble and supernatural by Prince's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Clapton was asked what's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?His reply ask Prince.
    Urban myth, that one.

Quote Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post

another side to him, funny interaction with an intimate crowd

oh and another spellbinding performance of course

One of the many times I saw him was the love sexy tour at Wembley arena and at the time I was living in north London and my mate was the assistant manager at the Camden Palais in Camden and we went back there to end a memorable evening. At about 1am prince came on stage with some other band members and did requests and covers of other people's hits

Good faithful version,nice tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Good faithful version,nice tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies View Post
    One of the many times I saw him was the love sexy tour at Wembley arena and at the time I was living in north London and my mate was the assistant manager at the Camden Palais in Camden and we went back there to end a memorable evening. At about 1am prince came on stage with some other band members and did requests and covers of other people's hits
    Legendary gig that one