+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect Prevalent on ccmb

The Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect Prevalent on ccmb

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.
    Ccmb is appalling for this, so many people posting factual statements that are obviously rubbish to anyone with a simple understanding of the topic.

The whole internet actually has it, I've seen medical advice, nutrition advice and scientific topics completely butchered by people with no clue.

Going by ched Evans threads ccmb is full of lawyers, the club's finances are full of financial advisors, football threads full of gold badge coaches.

But then I'll go into certain threads and believe exactly what I read.

Re: The Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect Prevalent on ccmb

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Ccmb is appalling for this, so many people posting factual statements that are obviously rubbish to anyone with a simple understanding of the topic.

The whole internet actually has it, I've seen medical advice, nutrition advice and scientific topics completely butchered by people with no clue.

Going by ched Evans threads ccmb is full of lawyers, the club's finances are full of financial advisors, football threads full of gold badge coaches.

But then I'll go into certain threads and believe exactly what I read.
    Why bother posting then Mr ****ing smart arse?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Totally agree - and there is one poster in particular who is guilty of spouting the most inane of inane rubbish on a huge spectrum of subjects. This individual has absolutely no qualifications when it comes to making expert judgements on matters, yet purports to give the very last word on the subject. It's great that we now have a name - the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect - which explains this disturbing phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Totally agree - and there is one poster in particular who is guilty of spouting the most inane of inane rubbish on a huge spectrum of subjects. This individual has absolutely no qualifications when it comes to making expert judgements on matters, yet purports to give the very last word on the subject. It's great that we now have a name - the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect - which explains this disturbing phenomenon.
    Yeah then he starts threads about Gell Mann Amnesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Yeah then he starts threads about Gell Mann Amnesia.
    Have Leicester bottled it yet Jim?