• A few new strikers, couple of other new faces

12 42.86%
  • Over 6 new faces needed

6 21.43%
  • Major overhaul

10 35.71%

Thread: Next season's squad

Next season's squad

What transfer activity do we need this summer?

Re: Next season's squad

Major overhaul by a new manager

I'm not sure how much is needed to be honest.
    What we do need is a goal scorer, some pace out wide and an Alex Pritchard type player to unlock defences.

I'm happy with our defensive unit. I would like to see Declan John or Rhys Abbruzzese get a few opportunities as well as Tutonda and Patten.

New manager with good contacts and knowledge of the premier league youth set up. We need to make good use of the loan market because paying transfer fees is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    New manager with good contacts and knowledge of the premier league youth set up. We need to make good use of the loan market because paying transfer fees is not going to happen.
    And next season there is no Emergency Loan Window so all of the business will need to be done in the two main windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Major overhaul by a new manager
    Agree with this we need a fresh start players and coaches

New manager, Lex Immers, two strikers, one winger, one central midfielder and a full back - if no-one else leaves.

I think Slade has done reasonably well and can leave with his reputation just in credit, but I can't see how he can go again next season and carry the squad and the fans with him. If one example of the team spirit and togetherness that has been claimed is the cluelessness and conservatism of that performance on Saturday - with 3/4 players on the pitch who 'never turned up' - then it is a weakness not a strength.

I don't want to undo the real progress that has been made in the last year (mainly this calendar year up to the last month) but more of the same will be toxic. The Board and Tan must see that and let Russell Slade leave on good terms and move on to another job

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    New manager, Lex Immers, two strikers, one winger, one central midfielder and a full back - if no-one else leaves.

I think Slade has done reasonably well and can leave with his reputation just in credit, but I can't see how he can go again next season and carry the squad and the fans with him. If one example of the team spirit and togetherness that has been claimed is the cluelessness and conservatism of that performance on Saturday - with 3/4 players on the pitch who 'never turned up' - then it is a weakness not a strength.

I don't want to undo the real progress that has been made in the last year (mainly this calendar year up to the last month) but more of the same will be toxic. The Board and Tan must see that and let Russell Slade leave on good terms and move on to another job more suitable
    Back to teaching ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I don't want to undo the real progress that has been made in the last year (mainly this calendar year up to the last month) but more of the same will be toxic. The Board and Tan must see that and let Russell Slade leave on good terms and move on to another job
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Back to teaching ?

I bowled that underarm, and you smacked it to the boundary!

I know it's said every season now, but cannot see Marshall staying another season. Rumour was last season he wanted to leave, but was talked into "one more promotion push".

For next season, we need rid of Malone, Ajayi, Dikgacoi, Ameobi, Le Fondre, Doyle, Kennedy, Macheda, Kiss, Lewis, Velikonja.
    Resign Zahore (even though he is very raw), Lawrenece and vitally Immers. That leaves 19 players assuming Marshall leaves. If we could sell Gunnarsson for 7 figures then his time to move on too.

Need 2 new strikers to compete with Zahore and Saadi upfront. Need a centre midfielder, a full back and another winger as Pilkington and Lawrence would both be available for the wing if two new strikers are brought in.

Difficult decision whether to stick or twist with Simon Moore, but I'd say go with him for now.

So in all, 10 players leaving the wage bill and 5 players coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 View Post
    I know it's said every season now, but cannot see Marshall staying another season. Rumour was last season he wanted to leave, but was talked into "one more promotion push".

For next season, we need rid of Malone, Ajayi, Dikgacoi, Ameobi, Le Fondre, Doyle, Kennedy, Macheda, Kiss, Lewis, Velikonja.
    Resign Zahore (even though he is very raw), Lawrenece and vitally Immers. That leaves 19 players assuming Marshall leaves. If we could sell Gunnarsson for 7 figures then his time to move on too.

Need 2 new strikers to compete with Zahore and Saadi upfront. Need a centre midfielder, a full back and another winger as Pilkington and Lawrence would both be available for the wing if two new strikers are brought in.

Difficult decision whether to stick or twist with Simon Moore, but I'd say go with him for now.

So in all, 10 players leaving the wage bill and 5 players coming in.
    I know you'll disagree but I think it's time to sell Whittingham. His form over the second half of the season has been better than it has for a few years but I still think he's a main reason why our midfield gets overrun. His lack of pace and direction affects us at times and he's not an instinctive enough passer for me. He's not a player to build a team around.

I'd sell Gunnarsson and Dikgacoi and potentially Noone, Manga and Fabio dependent on what clubs would be willing to spend

There are a few players I'd like to see brought in
    Immers-No brainer
    Zohore-Looks decent, could be dangerous next season
    Nick Powell-He's out of contract in the summer and would be a great free transfer
    Tom Bradshaw-Young, Welsh and a good goalscorer, worth a punt if Walsall don't go up
    Jordon Mutch-Would love to see him back here, seems out of favour at Palace, direct running from midfield, wonderful

Defensively I think Adam Matthews could be worth a punt

Yaser Kasim (midfielder) at Swindon is out of contract in the summer also, could be worth a shot

The wage bill at the club can still be trimmed because I'm sure we're contributing to the pay of many of the senior players out on loan. First up, a decision needs to be made on whether we keep any of these players who, obviously, were not deemed to be good enough for us this season - for myself, I'd look to sell the likes of LeFondre, Macheda, Doyle and Adeyemi this summer.
    Also, with many senior players' contracts due to run out next summer, it should be decided who we want to keep and priority given to securing their futures at the club - any who we don't intend giving a new deal to or are unsure about, we should try to sell this summer while we can get a fee for them.
    Hopefully, all of this, along with the contracts for people like Jones running down, would give the club some spending power even if Vincent Tan is still inclined towards the lower outlays of the last eighteen months - if all of the players who could leave under the circumstances I outlined above do so, then we're going to need a lot of new recruits, so for me, we're talking about a major overhaul.

I'd be happy with a new striker put Pilkington back wide, sell anyone who get decent offer for. There is nobody in squad who can't replace for nothing.

Unless they are going to play and improve team don't bother bringing them in

At the end of the day it'll all depend on which players are of interest to other clubs. With most players under contract then the decisions are not fully in our control.
    I still think we will have to trim another big chunk off the wage bill.

It's criminal having big earners in the squad who hardly ever play.