+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So IF Slade goes - who would you want in ?

Re: So IF Slade goes - who would you want in ?

Can't understand the enthusiasm for Bellamy. Hasn't even coached a league club let alone managed one. Yet people who criticise Slade for not having a record of success are jumping up and down demanding someone with no record at all. Bellamy would be a hugely risky appointment, right up there with the appointment of Ole in the list of risky decisions. We need a young manager- not a name we can't afford anyway- who has already shown he can do it l. Gary Rowett would be my choice if we could get him away from Birmingham. He really has done well with a limited budget. Unlike Russ who has one of the bigger wage bills in the Division to play with and a squad packed full of promotion winning and/or Premier League experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Who has done pretty well for him.
    Yeah, between the sticks

Good debate so far.
    Bellamy seems to be on top, with Pearson popular, but IMHO unlikely to be interested ( hope I'm wrong)
    Pearson for one reason or another is a tainted character, can't imagine a Premiership team giving him a chance. I think Vila if they have any sense will get him but if they don't we should approach him. I reckon he's looking for a job in the Championship.

My stance on Bellamy is I would rather an experienced manager but if no one decent is forthcoming then i'd take a punt on Bellamy. I'd rather Bellamy than another Slade all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Yeah, between the sticks
    Plus 4 goals in 8 starts and 8 subs, for a struggling side.

Robinson had little money to play with so has got someone to do a job.

It would be interesting to see what he could do at a club like ours

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Can't understand the enthusiasm for Bellamy. Hasn't even coached a league club let alone managed one. Yet people who criticise Slade for not having a record of success are jumping up and down demanding someone with no record at all. Bellamy would be a hugely risky appointment, right up there with the appointment of Ole in the list of risky decisions. We need a young manager- not a name we can't afford anyway- who has already shown he can do it l. Gary Rowett would be my choice if we could get him away from Birmingham. He really has done well with a limited budget. Unlike Russ who has one of the bigger wage bills in the Division to play with and a squad packed full of promotion winning and/or Premier League experience.
    Can't see Rowett taking a sidewards step and he's cost us millions in compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Brendan Rodgers. Take away his ex jack baggage, it's an ideal job for him.
    Can't see him wanting to come here

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've wondered about Justin Edinburgh as well (Deji would get a game ). Of the others you mention, I think Robinson has got something and I liked Dean Smith at Walsall.

Someone with a City connection who I think has done tremendously this season is Neil Ardley at AFC Wimbledon.

However, the one I'd like to see most is Craig Bellamy being given the chance to develop the club in the way he wants to - don't see that happening somehow though!
    Ardley is a decent one to add to the list.
    And realistic too.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've wondered about Justin Edinburgh as well (Deji would get a game ). Of the others you mention, I think Robinson has got something and I liked Dean Smith at Walsall.

Someone with a City connection who I think has done tremendously this season is Neil Ardley at AFC Wimbledon.

However, the one I'd like to see most is Craig Bellamy being given the chance to develop the club in the way he wants to - don't see that happening somehow though!
    Agree with you on Warnock got the pedigree to take us up but he'll need convincing.

Rowett would be my first choice and he'd never leave Birmingham for us. I'd be interested to see Bellamy get a chance but I don't think our fans are patient enough for the mistakes an unproven manager would make.

Can't see Rowett taking a sidewards step and he's cost us millions in compensation.
    You are probably right. I see that Rowett signed an extended contract earlier this year so is probably out of reach.

In no particular order, any of the following :

1. Nigel Pearson
    2. Mark Warburton (although surely he wants to try his hand at winning the two horse race next year)
    3. Craig Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I can't understand why experience is imperative for success. Of course we have all been stung by the Ole saga but I believe his biggest issue was that the only style he had to model himself on was Man United and he tried to make us a diet man united.

Bellamy hasn't come straight from playing and looking to take over. On the contrary he turned Tan down cos he didn't think at the time he could do the job justice.

In a perfect world Bellamy would already have won the champions league with Barcelona and was now longing to do the same with us, but we are only a medium size club and I think it would be a great first job for someone.

His work rate would be off the scale and he built up a good knowledge of the game so I'm led to believe.

He is familiar with the youth of the club having worked voluntarily with them for two years.

He would know the good coaches as well as the lazy bastards who are only in it for themselves.

I believe he's a big enough name to put us back on the map and get a buzz back for Cardiff in the area and would also command respect and attract players.

I hope he'd be wise enough to be a go between for him and Tan and I think the only risk would be his temperament.

I have thought about it a lot and having spoken to some people who know him in think it's well worth the risk.

I just want someone who's willing to promote youth team players.

I get it's not always possible and we may just have had a few crap years with the academy, but it seemed like under Jones we'd have a half decent youth player every other year breaking through.

If we rally are going to be sustainable we need to get used to developing our own talent and need to let go of some more of our higher earners, eve if they are some of our better players.

Banned

Bellamy.
    Clough.
    Billy Davies

I see Edinburgh's name been mentioned. Don't think there's a cat in hells chance of him coming here. When he was Cewnty manager he slated Tan big time and said he'd never work with someone like Tan.

steve evans will be departing soon and would be a good choice.

although the canteen costs will go through the roof.

Warnock or Robinson for me, and Warnock could be persuaded to come here as he has spoke well about us in the past and Cardiff is much nearer his home in Cornwall than up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Warnock or Robinson for me, and Warnock could be persuaded to come here as he has spoke well about us in the past and Cardiff is much nearer his home in Cornwall than up north.
    Caldwell from wigan

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Darrell Clarke from Rovers, he's done a decent job there on limited resources

As someone who doesn't work in the game I can only give a profile and reasons behind it rather than a name.

I don't think Tan's change of heart has extended to throwing around millions, nor would I want it to when we can go up on smarter buys rather than numerous and expensive transfers, and one of my biggest criticisms of Slade is that he hasn't managed to find anything worth looking at from the lower leagues, a cheaper market which we could be shopping in, when he maybe has more experience than anyone. I'd like someone who can identify talent in cheaper markets that they have experience of.

One thing you have to praise Slade for is that we have a much better group now than we did during the worst of the rebrand days. Looking at Leicester, at Burton, at Northampton and even at Wales and a close-knit group making the most out of its talents can definitely do well. I'd like someone who keep our squad close and fighting in the vast majority of the long Championship season.

Despite glueing the squad together I'm not sure Slade has even managed to warm himself to the supporters and, while I can do without Martinez type hyperbole, I reckon even by taking a few steps Slade can improve in this area immeasurably. First step would be to stop sounding so defeatist and limp in every interview, you don't have to be bullish or one-eyed but change "it's another tough game" when facing Rotherham at home to "ever championship game presents its challenges, Rotherham are tricky and fighting to stay in this division, I will want to see my players match that fight" and you're basically saying the same thing but with a little 'oomph' rather than a little 'umm'. Second step would be to have a proper look at our youngsters and especially young players from the South Wales area. Huddersfield have brought in an exciting manager and built a plan around developing youngsters and selling them on when needed so why can't we while holding on to them for slightly longer?

1. Someone who can make the most out of the limited budget Tan will provide
    2. Someone who can continue Slade's good work of glueing the squad together as team spirit works
    3. Someone who is a little more believable when speaking (and seeking to back that up rather than just get people on side)
    4. Someone willing to give our youth a chance.

I reckon there is another Sean Dyche out there and he'd work for me.

When we've had this debate before I have said Pearson or Bellamy, and I still think they are the stand-out options for very different reasons, but both carry some risks.

Pearson has done it before, has a lot of experience, knowledge and contacts. He is a disciplinarian (so too Bellamy I expect) but his teams play good attacking football with pace. I think (based on limited knowledge) he also looks at and uses his u21s and u18s more than Slade. However he is likely to be expensive, he is fractious with the press, he may have problems with Vincent Tan, and he still lives in Sheffield - so unlikely to be attracted to South Wales unless there are compensating factors. Also I'm not impressed with his behaviour before leaving Leicester.

Bellamy knows the club and the city, is a student of the game, is passionate and interested in youth, Wales and innovative modern coaching and management ideas. He hasn't done his 2 year apprenticeship at Burton Albion which is a weakness, and he would come with no experience and no baggage, but a bundle of energy and invention. I doubt he would alienate many players, although he would probably end up at war with Steve Tucker. If he was to get the job I think he needs a mentor and/or new coaching team around him, together with changes in the Boardroom (fan and professional football representatives) and a new scouting set up - not reliant on Jose Mourinho, Glenn Roeder, or a loose network of officials at Vincent Tan's 'other clubs'.

Bellamy.

For the reasons already mentioned. Aside from the football the club generally seems to be in a good state at the minute, morale is generally good, Bellamy appointment could further enhance that. Limited experience but someone who will look to develop the club and have some sort of plan on moving forward.

I don't think think we will get anywhere near some of the other names in this thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Bellamy.

For the reasons already mentioned. Aside from the football the club generally seems to be in a good state at the minute, morale is generally good, Bellamy appointment could further enhance that. Limited experience but someone who will look to develop the club and have some sort of plan on moving forward.

I don't think think we will get anywhere near some of the other names in this thread.
    How could a psycho like Bellamy "develop" the club? He only came here when is career was on its last legs. Laughable

There are a lot of contenders as this thread suggests, inlcuding Warnock who I've always rated and the Northampton manager purely on his ability this season to make gold out of turd.

But my choice in an ideal world would be Bellamy and Dutch Ray. Both have worked together. You'd get a blend of youth + inexperience, experience, local AND insider knowledge, passion, leftfield thinking, discipline, nutrition and fitness regimes plus raw ambition / desire.

They could probably do great things with the players already here plus a few freebies, but the sky would be the limit with a bit of financial backing from Tan.

Craig Bellamy for me.
    He's got the passion, knows football and has great contacts.