+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Koumas paradox.

The Koumas paradox.

This is a good read about someone I still consider to be the most talented player I've ever seen in a city shirt.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal...koumas-paradox

Re: The Koumas paradox.

That is an excellent read. Really enjoyed it.

The difference between his first and second spells here is incredible. When he wanted to play, he could play.

Fantastic article and I agree with everything written. He will always be a City icon to me following his first spell, but his second, well, least said the better.

Great read.

Thanks for posting that, a very good read.

Whitts in his pomp was superb at scoring from free kicks, but Koumas was another level up - in 05/06 I used to feel disappointed if he hadn't scored from one. The writer makes a very good point about Koumas' heading ability as well - it brought to mind one he got in Steve Thompson's first match against Burnley when he made scoring from around the penalty spot look easy.

I often think that the most talented players never reach their potential because they find the game too easy. The good thing about Koumas being what he was though was that we got that season when he was worth the admission money alone - the only way we would have seen him play at Cardiff if he had lived up to his potential would have been in Cup matches and internationals.

I wonder how often the Koumas of 2005/06 would have played for City with Russell Slade in charge - can't help thinking he would have spent a lot of time on the bench.

His free kick at Leicester when we won 2-1 was a work of genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    His free kick at Leicester when we won 2-1 was a work of genius.
    The article sums him up perfectly.

I'm sure my memory is rose tinting things, but there seemed like a time when every free kick he had around the box ended up hitting the back of the net.

That season for us he was probably the best season by any City player I've ever seen. As mentioned, he was worth the entrance fee alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    The article sums him up perfectly.

I'm sure my memory is rose tinting things, but there seemed like a time when every free kick he had around the box ended up hitting the back of the net.

That season for us he was probably the best season by any City player I've ever seen. As mentioned, he was worth the entrance fee alone.
    Spot on Alan. That's how I remember him too. A free kick around the box was as good as a penalty any day.

In his second spell he had a great last 10 minutes away at Doncaster, scored a great free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    In his second spell he had a great last 10 minutes away at Doncaster, scored a great free kick.
    Scored two and was only on about 10 minutes. But that was really the only thing he did, unfortunately. Rest of the time he dawdled about.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for posting that, a very good read

Whitts in his pomp was superb at scoring from free kicks, but Koumas was another level up - in 05/06 I used to feel disappointed if he hadn't scored from one. The writer makes a very good point about Koumas' heading ability as well - it brought to mind one he got in Steve Thompson's first match against Burnley when he made scoring from around the penalty spot look easy.

I often think that the most talented players never reach their potential because they find the game too easy. The good thing about Koumas being what he was though was that we got that season when he was worth the admission money alone - the only way we would have seen him play at Cardiff if he had lived up to his potential would have been in Cup matches and internationals.

I wonder how often the Koumas of 2005/06 would have played for City with Russell Slade in charge - can't help thinking he would have spent a lot of time on the bench.

Very true "
    I often think that the most talented players never reach their potential because they find the game too easy. ""

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah he came on as sub and changed the game

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Scored two and was only on about 10 minutes. But that was really the only thing he did, unfortunately. Rest of the time he dawdled about.
    His head looked gone from his first appearance in his second spell, always thought he must have had off field problems

Remember being 2 down at Luton then Koumas decided to play got 2 goals and should have had a penalty in the last minute.
    As mentioned above worth the admission fee on his own.
    There is no one in Slades side even near being a player like him and never likely to be either.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Remember being 2 down at Luton then Koumas decided to play got 2 goals and should have had a penalty in the last minute.
    As mentioned above worth the admission fee on his own.
    There is no one in Slades side even near being a player like him and never likely to be either.
    I remember that game they couldn't get near him,remember the pen too, a stone waller

Possibly one of the finest players I have had the pleasure of seeing play in the flesh.

Occasionally.
    For about 10 mins or so.
    Here and there.
    Now and again.
    Once in a blue moon.

That first game against Leeds when he came off the bench and virtually won the game for us was absolutely brilliant and was gutted with his second spell with us

We're only here cos we're single

I saw Eddie Newton and Gary O'Neil both make huge contributions to us while on loan, however, Koumas was more influential than both of them.
    He was a breath of fresh air ... looked the complete footballer, passing was crisp and incisive, first touch was fantastic, had strength on the ball and wonderful awarness around him and had the burst of pace when needed ... and of course, those free-kicks!

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    We're only here cos we're single

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Very true "
    I often think that the most talented players never reach their potential because they find the game too easy. ""
    Interesting point this and can definitely prove true.

This got me thinking about the apparent changes and reduction of numbers in our academy. Perhaps the promotion of the more talented younger players can give them a playing level where they have to show more desire to cope? Though I hope we don't reduce the numbers age groups below DVP level though as we keep getting these stories about these good players we have let go in recent years. Perhaps Regan Poole and Wes Burns further prove the point - rejected players have to fight harder to prove they are worthy and therefore improve more?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    That first game against Leeds when he came off the bench and virtually won the game for us was absolutely brilliant and was gutted with his second spell with us
    God yeah, he was only half fit as well because he hadn't been playing for West Brom. Also the 6-1 win over Crewe in that season sticks in the mind, he got one and absolutely ran the show. Best player I've seen in nearly 30 years of watching the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    God yeah, he was only half fit as well because he hadn't been playing for West Brom. Also the 6-1 win over Crewe in that season sticks in the mind, he got one and absolutely ran the show. Best player I've seen in nearly 30 years of watching the city.
    Wasn't it against Burnley when he went past 2 players, slipped, fell over, got up and nonchalantly slotted the ball into the net ?

Wasn't it against Burnley when he went past 2 players, slipped, fell over, got up and nonchalantly slotted the ball into the net ?

The Crewe game was ridiculous, he destroyed them