+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retained list

Retained list

How's that going to work then?

Who will decide.

Re: Retained list

There's only a handful out of contract.
    Turner, Jones ( who I'm guessing is gone for good), Vekikonja, Kiss.. Both of whom will not be back, Lewis I think, Barnam-Bobb, who's left already, and maybe a couple more youngsters.

Blue in the Face

Don't think Turner is out of contract? Hope Kiss and Velinkonja are. Lewis is and will leave.

Imagine lots of DVP players will be leaving

Yes, Veliknoja, Kiss and Lewis to go. They 've made a combined total of 1 appearences between them for us in the League in the last 3 seasons. Jones obviously to go as out of contract. Probably Turner will go too, he's been too injury prone for us the last 2 years. A host of youngsters too. Didn't know Barnum-Bobb had already gone though, I thought he had potential, but let's face it no youngsters evergiven a chance by Slade.

Blue in the Face

Think Turner signed an extension a while back and has a year left. Think you're right, his injury record is too poor for us to keep him. Hope we can get some kind of fee for him though it won't be big.

I guess the coaches had a good look at Jazzi and decided he's not good enough. I think we've over hyped a few players at the DVP age level. Let the younger lot play at that level and give them DVP playing time. We have some good Welsh youth internationals at full back

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    How's that going to work then?

Who will decide.

Cumon "BOSS", you're turning into the DARK SIDE with a heading like that.

Turner will go hes out of contract although with morrison injured we should probably keep him if hes fit.

Can we have a retained list on here Mike?

isnt it around about now someone usually denies that the retained list is actually a thing

The Retained List is not a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Don't think Turner is out of contract? Hope Kiss and Velinkonja are. Lewis is and will leave.

Imagine lots of DVP players will be leaving
    99% sure that Turner's deal is up this summer. I think Lawnmower's got the senior players who are due to leave. As for the younger players, a decision was made on them in March or Apri - can't remember all of them now, but Curtis Watkins, Tyler Roche, Abdi Noor, Elvis Menayese, Sam Williams, Luke Wakeman and Shane Perry were among those who are no longer at the club

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    99% sure that Turner's deal is up this summer. I think Lawnmower's got the senior players who are due to leave. As for the younger players, a decision was made on them in March or Apri - can't remember all of them now, but Curtis Watkins, Tyler Roche, Abdi Noor, Elvis Menayese, Sam Williams, Luke Wakeman and Shane Perry were among those who are no longer at the club
    I thought Tyler Roche was going to come good at one stage. Very skillful young player. Maybe he hasn't quite got the pace a modern winger needs? Good luck to all those released. Doesn't have to be over for them if they still really want to turn pro. A lot of our youngsters have benefited from Newport giving them a second chance. Fair play to Newport for turning a lot of of their academy into full time pros too. I hope they stay in the football league as long as possible so they can continue to do this. I have a feeling the likes of Theo Wharton and maybe even Tom O'Sullivan might end up there permanently. Though I'm basing that on nothing more than a hunch.

I thought Tyler Roche was going to come good at one stage. Very skillful young player. Maybe he hasn't quite got the pace a modern winger needs? Good luck to all those released. Doesn't have to be over for them if they still really want to turn pro. A lot of our youngsters have benefited from Newport giving them a second chance. Fair play to Newport for turning a lot of of their academy into full time pros too. I hope they stay in the football league as long as possible so they can continue to do this. I have a feeling the likes of Theo Wharton and maybe even Tom O'Sullivan might end up there permanently. Though I'm basing that on nothing more than a hunch.
    it might be a hunch, but I think there's a chance it may come true in the case of one of them at least.

When I first saw Tyler Roche as a fifteen or sixteen year old, he was an eye catching player who routinely ran half the length of the pitch to score or lay on goals - I thought he had a great chance of becoming a first team player eventually. However, if I'm being honest, the decision to let him go about three years later didn't surprise me at all.

I think fans always love players who dribble with the ball and look to take on three or four opponents, but I wonder if they are appreciated as much among the professionals who see them as someone who is more likely than not to hand possession back to the other team. Also, and I may be misreading him completely here, I'd question whether he had the drive which often tends to mark out those who make it in the game from those who don't. I'm not necessarily criticising him there, a lack of drive is an accusation that that has been leveled at me at times and I suppose the fact that it never bothered me much rather proves the point that the accusation was right - I'm sure there are plenty of people in "general" life and among would be footballers with a similar attitude.

Theo Wharton... I think the only senior appearance he's had with us in 4 years was a league cup sub appearance - I could be wrong but I think it was under Malky is his first season?

Surely at the age of 21/22 he has to be making the grade by now, has he even gone out on loan? The only one (aside from Declan John) who seems close to getting a smidgen of a chance would be Tommy O'Sullivan, and he still seems a million miles away.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Theo Wharton... I think the only senior appearance he's had with us in 4 years was a league cup sub appearance - I could be wrong but I think it was under Malky is his first season?

Surely at the age of 21/22 he has to be making the grade by now, has he even gone out on loan? The only one (aside from Declan John) who seems close to getting a smidgen of a chance would be Tommy O'Sullivan, and he still seems a million miles away.
    Yeah, think you're right. Malky did give Wharton a go. He needs to move on for his sake I feel.

Maybe Cardiff should think about letting DVP players leave earlier in the future, for free, but with a a good percentage of the sell on. This could help make our academy more viable in the long run and the individual players should benefit from getting out there earlier in their careers. Indecision has meant that possibly both our club and the players aren't benefiting quite as much as we could?