+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: the rise of ukip

Re: the rise of ukip

Chatting to folk about the results last night I think the UKIP bandwagon is rolling ,popular and and will get bigger.

Guess that is why Mark Reckless was so prominent in Wales on this campaign . This might be a SNP type moment for Wales ??

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Chatting to folk about the results last night I think the UKIP bandwagon is rolling ,popular and and will get bigger.

Guess that is why Mark Reckless was so prominent in Wales on this campaign . This might be a SNP type moment for Wales ??
    lets be fair, this is a bit far-fetched

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Whilst it saddens me that there is a growing number of thick racists in our country, thankfully there is still enough people who see UKIP for what they are.
    Narrow minded blinkered guff.

ps. Wales is in the UK the last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post

Agree the way the system works I think 8 AMs is the limit to UKIPs capabilities, they could get very lucky and push for 10 but any constituency wins will mean list wins become a little harder to achieve. 7 is a remarkable achievement, absolutely remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Whilst it saddens me that there is a growing number of thick racists in our country, thankfully there is still enough people who see UKIP for what they are.
    Five years of being represented by Neil Hamilton (I can't see him being in Cardiff Bay that often), Mark Reckless and the others and this will be UKIP's best ever showing in the Welsh Assembly. To be honest, I don't even know how UKIP fit into the assembly. Their main policies centre around the EU and immigration - neither of which are devolved matters. Their other policy is that the Welsh Assembly is unnecessary, to a degree I agree but I think we have to accept it is here for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Shows how much appetite there is for Welsh nationalism. Once again, despite huge apathy for Labour and the Tories, Plaid make very few inroads.
    Plaid came close in Blaenau Gwent, from 64%, Labour were down to 38%. It's a shame (from my perspective, because Alun Davies is a completely arrogant individual who knows he will win his seat in an area where people vote Labour on principle) because the Labour vote in Blaenau Gwent was split between Plaid and UKIP. I think people were voting anti-Labour in Blaenau Gwent for a number of reasons - not sure why 3,000 saw UKIP as being someone to represent an area that is on its knees economically. Plaid seemed to be a good fit and will not get as close again.

I mean in terms of momentum, if you look at their progression UKIP has made its both a steep and quick rise, in a short window, they are making an impact in Wales,and people do get aboard bandwagons.

Who would have thought the SNP would power Scotland and the Tories push for second spot withinthe Scottish bed rock that was once a huge Labour stronghold . ? Never say never, not my choice of politics but something is afoot Holmes:
    sherlock:

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    So are you saying that every person who votes UKIP is racist ?
    Maybe people who vote for them - want to be out of the EU, or maybe would like to control immigration ?
    That doesnt make them racist.

Now that UKIP have a few AMs lets see how they get stuck into the boring day to day hot air making machinery of the WAG. The problem is the WAG is so useless and such a waste of time and money - I dont think anyone will notice.
    UKIP stand on those two things. Neither of which is a devolved matter. I can, sort of, nderstand people voting for the Tea Party in the national elections, but I can't understand why they would vote for them in the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Five years of being represented by Neil Hamilton (I can't see him being in Cardiff Bay that often), Mark Reckless and the others and this will be UKIP's best ever showing in the Welsh Assembly. To be honest, I don't even know how UKIP fit into the assembly. Their main policies centre around the EU and immigration - neither of which are devolved matters. Their other policy is that the Welsh Assembly is unnecessary, to a degree I agree but I think we have to accept it is here for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond.
    it wasnt long ago they wanted to get rid of the assembly. It was only when they saw that they would win a few sets that they changed their minds

An answer to the original post ... what have Labour or Plaid done for (most of) Wales? The tories should never have seats here (well done Cardiff North for that at least). I don't know where the idea that UKIP are a racist party comes from (glorified Tories maybe)? That's just scaremongering. Isn't there a Muslim on their S.E Wales team?
    There are a lot of people who don't agree with previous/current governments' open-door policy, especially legitimate overseas British visa holders who have to jump through hoops to get here ... yet ECONOMIC migrants can get in no hassle if they make enough noise and garner sympathy from the press. Some on this board can pretend to be wishy-washy liberal hug and embrace everyone/anything types (and, sure, that would be a perfect world) but the real world isn't like that.
    The UK and US actually mock the word 'democracy' when media, MPs and social media groups pressure people who to vote for.

In addition, I do believe UKIP will oppose (the wastage of our tax money) Labour's plans to increase WAG seats from 60 to 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    UKIP stand on those two things. Neither of which is a devolved matter. I can, sort of, nderstand people voting for the Tea Party in the national elections, but I can't understand why they would vote for them in the assembly.
    For a change I guess, I think people have had enough of the norm and perhaps they see UKIP as that and someone who might shout a bit loader in the Assembly chamber debates , it all smacks of disillusioned voters not knowing what to vote , as the old two party thing is now very tired .

Cant wait to see the demographics on the in and out vote, as that directly opposes the UKIP mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    not according to the CCMB rules, if you ever question immigration, you are automatically a fully paid up member of the BNP / KKK etc etc
    The are a few people who do that but the majority tend to say that you are blaming the wrong people for the problems that this country faces. Your response here just suggests that you aren't willing to engage with sensible arguments.

It's easy to blame immigration for everything. That is why Farage appears like a credible politician to so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    For a change I guess, I think people have had enough of the norm and perhaps they see UKIP as that and someone who might shout a bit loader in the Assembly chamber debates , it all smacks of disillusioned voters not knowing what to vote , as the old two party thing is now very tired .

Cant wait to see the demographics on the in and out vote, as that directly opposes the UKIP mantra.
    It's a paradox though isn't it? Voters are clearly disillusioned but are petrified when anyone remotely different comes along. British people want a passionless posh sounding, posh looking guy telling us what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It's a paradox though isn't it? Voters are clearly disillusioned but are petrified when anyone remotely different comes along. British people want a passionless posh sounding, posh looking guy telling us what to think.
    But they'll also moan about the 'Eton class'. Impossible to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

RACIST !!!!!

They'll certainly shake up the senedd if they find shale gas underneath it.

Why do you never see a well educated UKIP voter? You see them for labour, Tory, green, libdem, plaid but the only people who speak out as Tory voters seem to be the less well educated of society just as you always did with BNP. Same for the majority of people who stand for election as part of UKIP.

To me I'm hoping most people who do vote for them vote as a protest vote rather than because they want to see them get in. I just can't feel comfortable with a party with policies like UKIPs, a right wing agenda and excessive nationalism; it doesn't often end up as a palatable mix.

shows how much appetite there is for change.
    Indeed. But surely it has to be a major problem for Plaid that, despite once again the vote for Labour and the Tories going down, they haven't capitalised. There seems to be a notion that Plaid are the party that would benefit from a drop in the vote for the main parties, but again that simply hasn't happened. My opinion has long been that Wales needs a middle of the road party that is free of the stereotypes that bog Plaid down would be a success. After this election my view is strengthened.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Why do you never see a well educated UKIP voter? You see them for labour, Tory, green, libdem, plaid but the only people who speak out as Tory voters seem to be the less well educated of society just as you always did with BNP. Same for the majority of people who stand for election as part of UKIP.

To me I'm hoping most people who do vote for them vote as a protest vote rather than because they want to see them get in. I just can't feel comfortable with a party with policies like UKIPs, a right wing agenda and excessive nationalism; it doesn't often end up as a palatable mix.
    Generalisations are a pretty thick in my experience. Do you vote UKIP?

A lot of generalisations are based in fact I'm afraid. Their policies outside of leave the EU aren't well thought out enough and outside of a their policies why would anyone vote for them other than nationalistic tub thumping?

Do welsh people want a privatised NHS?
    Do Welsh people want less tax on the richest members of society
    Do Welsh people want a party who scrap the "stressful" SAT exams but replace them with grammar school entry exams which aren't apparenlry stressful?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. But surely it has to be a major problem for Plaid that, despite once again the vote for Labour and the Tories going down, they haven't capitalised. There seems to be a notion that Plaid are the party that would benefit from a drop in the vote for the main parties, but again that simply hasn't happened. My opinion has long been that Wales needs a middle of the road party that is free of the stereotypes that bog Plaid down would be a success. After this election my view is strengthened.
    The vote has gone down, but they had enough of a gap that it didn't matter. Another collapse of this magnitude would lead to a big loss of seats. Labour are still polling at 35%, which in FPTP terms is enough to win (generally). They are also going to lose votes because of the tuition fee policy, or the fact that now they're in they have to implement one that wasn't in the manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    A lot of generalisations are based in fact I'm afraid. Their policies outside of leave the EU aren't well thought out enough and outside of a their policies why would anyone vote for them other than nationalistic tub thumping?

Do welsh people want a privatised NHS?
    Do Welsh people want less tax on the richest members of society
    Do Welsh people want a party who scrap the "stressful" SAT exams but replace them with grammar school entry exams which aren't apparenlry stressful?
    You are doing it again. Welsh people aren't one individual, each and every one is different. Some will be happy enough with a private NHS some won't, some happier with the rich people paying less tax other won't be. You can see the problem here with generalising people can't you?

As for the AT exams, anything that helps people learn to spell "apparently" gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    not so long ago, they was seen as a minority party, a watered down version of the bnp in many peoples eyes , yet at the last election polled more than 4 million votes and have taken over from the wishy washy liberals as the third main party in this country , even though they they are not represented in parliament by the same number of mp,s a disgrace in many peoples eyes.

as elections come and go now, they are finishing second and third in many areas of the country , in front of the tories and labour in many areas, because voting labour or tory nowadays is virtually the same thing

how long will it be before the country decide that enough is enough, and radical changes need to be made which labour or the tories will never provide ?
    So you would be happy to see the end of a local representative (MP), cos that is surely what P.R would represent?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    You are doing it again. Welsh people aren't one individual, each and every one is different. Some will be happy enough with a private NHS some won't, some happier with the rich people paying less tax other won't be. You can see the problem here with generalising people can't you?

As for the AT exams, anything that helps people learn to spell "apparently" gets my vote.
    I think you're proving the generalisation right tbh.