+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone remember the Aqua park between Trecco Bay and coney beach in the 80's?

Anyone remember the Aqua park between Trecco Bay and coney beach in the 80's?

Was telling my Mrs the other day about a Water park they built between Trecco Bay caravan park near the beach and between Coney Beach.
    Near to where they sell all the stuff on the outdoor market if I remember correctly?
    It was built in early 80'so believe?
    I remember a young lad died going down one of the slides and it was shut down eventually.

Re: Anyone remember the Aqua park between Trecco Bay and coney beach in the 80's?

I know I'm not imaging it but can't find any reference to it anywhere online.

Re: Anyone remember the Aqua park between Trecco Bay and coney beach in the 80's?

There was a fatality on the water chute but I cannot remember a water park .

It was called the hydro slide.

I loved it but I remember all the good kids went there on a school trip and all us naughty kids had to go ****ing St Fagans. I'm still bitter to this day

You're not confusing it with this are you :---

http://www.ourwales.org.uk/index.php...id=&lang=en-GB

Hydro slide it was. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    looks inviting, a surprise it failed to be honest

Remember it well and went a couple of times.

The slides, compared to the tame ones you often get in UK, were lightning fast and quite scary. There was little or no health and safety waiting for a green light or lifeguard telling you when it was safe to go. In fact, one of the things you did was wait for a slow lad or girl to go then hurl yourself down and aim to overtake them at speed on a bend. Get it wrong and you would pile into them ... Then someone would pile into you too as you got held up. Carnage.

It had a few injuries and then, sadly, a fatality but it was already in decline and had its day before that happened.

Great times. Before the days of health & safety and green lights you could stop and wait for your mate and go down in twos. Actually that sounds quite gay but as a 10 year old it was a good laugh.

There was a myth that it was closed because the skin heads stuck razor blades to the slide with chewing gum thus cutting people open
    The same rumour was blamed for the closure of Swansea leisure centre slide and the Aberdare one come to think of it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    shut it you snob

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    shut it you snob

to be fair though the place doesnt look that inviting

I am sure i have seen a pool like it in east Europe travel program

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post