+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Care homes in the Cardiff area - any recommendations?

O/T Care homes in the Cardiff area - any recommendations?

Hi,

My Mum has dementia & it won't be long before she can't live at home (already she has carers coming in 3x a day). We're now trying to find a care home for her :(

Any recommendations (or tips on places to avoid!) would be much appreciated.

Re: O/T Care homes in the Cardiff area - any recommendations?

Sorry to hear that. A relative of mine with dementia was a resident of The Waverley Care home in Penarth and I only ever heard good reports. The Waverley used to have their inspection report on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Hi,

My Mum has dementia & it won't be long before she can't live at home (already she has carers coming in 3x a day). We're now trying to find a care home for her :(

Two years ago my father had to go into a home and we put him in Ty Gwyn, Stanwell Road in Penarth. When we went to see it, we wandered around and went into the kitchen by mistake, came out again and a woman who worked there asked us what we were doing. We explained that we were looking for a home for our father, and she told us that we could go anywhere we wanted to have a look. We did, but that was good enough for me as they were not hiding anything. The place isn't cheap, but whenever I visited it was always spotless, and never smelled bad like a lot of care homes do. The staff were great and I'm sure my father had the best care possible. Hope it helps.
    Oh, and find out if your mum qualifies for funding, dont take any bullshit off the council people who tell you she's not bad enough to require 24/7 care. My father was only in the home for 7 months before he passed away, and we have just won a claim to get his care home fees paid back. I don't feel guilty as I'm sick to death of this country sending billions abroad while not looking after our own.

Hi,

We have an elderly friend who is in Ty Gwyn in Penarth. I have visited him several times and it seems a really good place. Lots of staff and excellent facilities. However as the last poster has indicated it probably isn't cheap, Worth looking at though IMO.

My parents looked at a few specifically for dementia, think there was a good one in penylan, but that it was horrendously expensive, like over 1500 a week.

Another one they thought was good was one up in Caerphilly by the red kite pub

After spending 18 months at Llandough Hospital my mother was recently transferred to Ty Enfys, Pentwyn. A modern purpose built home with friendly and helpful staff. Again not cheap £1,200 a week.
    Fortunately she qualified for Section 117 funding. I would also recommend Barclay Court in Cathedral Road which I visited on a number of occasions their fees were ballpark £600 a week.

From experience.
    Shire Hall

What is section 117 funding.

To qualify for 117 funding a person has to have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

My father is in brocastle , Bridgend

It's a ****ing horrible illness , he's just a shell now , poor sod

Spent the last four years caring for him with no support from my sisters , once he's died that's me finished with them and their selfish husbands , want nothing to do with them , caring for him nearly drove me to suicide whilst they didn't lift a finger , you certainly can't choose your family , pair of twats

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
    Two years ago my father had to go into a home and we put him in Ty Gwyn, Stanwell Road in Penarth. When we went to see it, we wandered around and went into the kitchen by mistake, came out again and a woman who worked there asked us what we were doing. We explained that we were looking for a home for our father, and she told us that we could go anywhere we wanted to have a look. We did, but that was good enough for me as they were not hiding anything. The place isn't cheap, but whenever I visited it was always spotless, and never smelled bad like a lot of care homes do. The staff were great and I'm sure my father had the best care possible. Hope it helps.
    Oh, and find out if your mum qualifies for funding, dont take any bullshit off the council people who tell you she's not bad enough to require 24/7 care. My father was only in the home for 7 months before he passed away, and we have just won a claim to get his care home fees paid back. I don't feel guilty as I'm sick to death of this country sending billions abroad while not looking after our own.
    My old man requires total nursing care , wonder if that's a route I can look into ....a lot of residential homes are for people with mild dementia and care needs not 24hr nursing

Which ever Care Home you decide to go to ask if you can visit the place when the night staff are on. I visit a lot of homes after hours in my job and whilst I know the staff are very good at their jobs in most of them, the issue I sometimes have is their grasp of English can be difficult for me to understand let alone the patients.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My father is in brocastle , Bridgend

It's a ****ing horrible illness , he's just a shell now , poor sod

Spent the last four years caring for him with no support from my sisters , once he's died that's me finished with them and their selfish husbands , want nothing to do with them , caring for him nearly drove me to suicide whilst they didn't lift a finger , you certainly can't choose your family , pair of twats
    Sorry to hear that mate. It can't be easy for you.
    For what it's worth I got a brother and a sister who are exactly the same. Total selfish *****. I wiped the 2 of them out of my life last year.
    Maybe you don't need to wait until your father passes away. You may well feel a lot better if you get shot of them now.
    All the best Sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My old man requires total nursing care , wonder if that's a route I can look into ....a lot of residential homes are for people with mild dementia and care needs not 24hr nursing
    Sludge, you have my sympathy, if your dad is assessed by the Health Authority as requiring nursing care it should be free and paid for by them and they should locate an EMI Nursing Home for him.

My dad is in Shire Hall in Dumballs Road. Most of the time they are ok and caring. I do check up on them and I visit 3-4 times a week. My dad now is sleeping most of the time and i'm not even sure he knows who I am anymore but he's been there for over two years and he is well looked after. I have had times when i've had to come down hard on them but that will happen in most places. I looked at loads of care homes before deciding on Shire Hall. The surprising thing is the amount that are shared bedrooms. There is no way I would have put my dad into one of those.

Thanks very much for your replies. Good advice there.

Sorry to hear about your own troubles with caring for aged relatives - and with families.

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    Sludge, you have my sympathy, if your dad is assessed by the Health Authority as requiring nursing care it should be free and paid for by them and they should locate an EMI Nursing Home for him.
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate. It can't be easy for you.
    For what it's worth I got a brother and a sister who are exactly the same. Total selfish *****. I wiped the 2 of them out of my life last year.
    Maybe you don't need to wait until your father passes away. You may well feel a lot better if you get shot of them now.
    All the best Sludge.
    I am beginning to think the very same me old mukka

****ing shocking selfish people out there

All the very best to you too mate

Thanks very much for your replies. Good advice there.

Sorry to hear about your own troubles with caring for aged relatives - and with families.
    You take care mate