+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Rowberry for manager?

James Rowberry for manager?

More wild speculation and grasping at straws?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...nown-11321808?

Rowberry, 31, could become youngest manager in the League in move which could mirror what Bournemouth did with Eddie Howe seven years ago

Cardiff City's rookie first-team coach James Rowberry has emerged as a shock contender to replace Russell Slade as manager, we can reveal.

Several sources in the game have told us 31-year-old Rowberry is one the names being genuinely considered by owner Vincent Tan and the Bluebirds hierarchy.

The surprise move could mirror Eddie Howe's out of the blue appointment as manager of Bournemouth back in 2009.

Like Rowberry, Howe was also an unknown at the time, although he has gone on to quickly establish himself as one of the most highly-rated young managers in the game.

If Tan goes through with the bold call, it would make Rowberry the youngest manager in the League.

However, he is only one of a number of contenders being considered by the Bluebirds. Head coach Paul Trollope is also believed to be in the mix, while the bookmakers have linked a host of bigger names with the job, including Neil Warnock, Craig Bellamy and Paul Clement, who left Derby earlier this season.

Although he has no experience as a boss, Rowberry would fit the bill as the go-ahead, stats driven, modern-day head coach type of appointment Cardiff want to make post-Slade.

Crucially, he would also fit the bill of being able to bring through home-grown talent, a quality Tan believes is essential for the new man.

Slade took the Bluebirds in a different direction, even choosing Scott Malone ahead of popular local youngster and Wales cap Declan John.

Rowberry has had a speedy rise through the coaching ranks and at the age of 29 became one of the youngest people in the world to earn his Uefa ProLicence badge. In terms of qualifications, that put him on a par with heavyweight managers such as Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola.

He joined Cardiff's coaching set-up as a member of the Academy staff in the summer of 2013, having previously worked as a first team and development coach with Newport County AFC.

Prior to that he had worked as a coach educator with the FA of Wales under the tutelage of Osian Roberts, the highly-rated coaching co-ordinator who as Chris Coleman's No2 has helped Gareth Bale and Co qualify for Euro 2016.

Re: James Rowberry for manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    More wild speculation and grasping at straws?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...nown-11321808?

Rowberry, 31, could become youngest manager in the League in move which could mirror what Bournemouth did with Eddie Howe seven years ago

Cardiff City's rookie first-team coach James Rowberry has emerged as a shock contender to replace Russell Slade as manager, we can reveal.

Several sources in the game have told us 31-year-old Rowberry is one the names being genuinely considered by owner Vincent Tan and the Bluebirds hierarchy.

The surprise move could mirror Eddie Howe's out of the blue appointment as manager of Bournemouth back in 2009.

Like Rowberry, Howe was also an unknown at the time, although he has gone on to quickly establish himself as one of the most highly-rated young managers in the game.

If Tan goes through with the bold call, it would make Rowberry the youngest manager in the League.

However, he is only one of a number of contenders being considered by the Bluebirds. Head coach Paul Trollope is also believed to be in the mix, while the bookmakers have linked a host of bigger names with the job, including Neil Warnock, Craig Bellamy and Paul Clement, who left Derby earlier this season.

Although he has no experience as a boss, Rowberry would fit the bill as the go-ahead, stats driven, modern-day head coach type of appointment Cardiff want to make post-Slade.

Crucially, he would also fit the bill of being able to bring through home-grown talent, a quality Tan believes is essential for the new man.

Slade took the Bluebirds in a different direction, even choosing Scott Malone ahead of popular local youngster and Wales cap Declan John.

Rowberry has had a speedy rise through the coaching ranks and at the age of 29 became one of the youngest people in the world to earn his Uefa ProLicence badge. In terms of qualifications, that put him on a par with heavyweight managers such as Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola.

He joined Cardiff's coaching set-up as a member of the Academy staff in the summer of 2013, having previously worked as a first team and development coach with Newport County AFC.

Prior to that he had worked as a coach educator with the FA of Wales under the tutelage of Osian Roberts, the highly-rated coaching co-ordinator who as Chris Coleman's No2 has helped Gareth Bale and Co qualify for Euro 2016.
    Stats driven. Marvellous. And people wonder why creativity seems to be so sadly lacking sometimes.

If I hear the words 'stats driven' once more I'm gonna drive the wrong way down the m4

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    If I hear the words 'stats driven' once more I'm gonna drive the wrong way down the m4
    That would affect the RTA statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Stats driven. Marvellous. And people wonder why creativity seems to be so sadly lacking sometimes.
    Does using stats to inform your decision making limit creativity?

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes it does in my opinion cos you'll inevitably get to a stage where stats will override what you're actually seeing.

I believe it was stats that kept Whittingham and Gunnarsson in a midfield 4-4-2 together

50% of the time, the other 50% I don't know.

Yes it does in my opinion cos you'll inevitably get to a stage where stats will override what you're actually seeing.

I believe it was stats that kept Whittingham and Gunnarsson in a midfield 4-4-2 together
    Isnt that a good thing, do we want to sign players like Gareth Ainsworth doing 17 step overs and playing air guitar on the side lines with the fans lapping it up, or would it be better to look at a player who is actually assisting in goals and chances.

The should always be an element where the player is watched, but stats can be used to identify the players who you should look at.

Creativity is simple a measure of a players ability to create chances and there will be clear stats for that.

And if I hear Declan John again mentioned I will do the same. The only thing John has going for him is that he is young.

As for Rowberry the fact he is young (like Eddie Howe) is not a recognised qualification for a managerial position. However his age will probably make him manipulative which it seems is a quality the ownership requires.

Statistically that could result in death

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Isnt that a good thing, do we want to sign players like Gareth Ainsworth doing 17 step overs and playing air guitar on the side lines with the fans lapping it up, or would it be better to look at a player who is actually assisting in goals and chances.

The should always be an element where the player is watched, but stats can be used to identify the players who you should look at.

Creativity is simple a measure of a players ability to create chances and there will be clear stats for that.
    It could also mean he is fresh of mind and could bring something different to the club, trouble with footballers they do need motivating and cuddling

I believe your last paragraph is complete bollocks.
    If David Silva was playing behind Alex Revell then he could put through a thousand defence splitting passes but Revell wouldn't read one of them so the stats would say that Silva created nothing.

Anyone who has played football at any level will know that they have played with certain players who they have clicked with whereas they were on a completely different wavelength to others and this can't be measured by stats.

I wake up in the morning and put sky sports news on and I have that guy standing in front of a screen telling me why Newcastle went down cos they only committed 53% successful tackles ffs. Show me some football. It's not NFL. Stats like that are for people who haven't got a clue in my opinion.
    Last edited by thehumblegringo; 12-05-16 at 13:13.

Never underestimate the power of air guitar.

Partly responsible for the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Blue in the Face

Shiz. The BBC now reporting this story now...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36276475

I wonder if the club leaked this to the press to help negotiations with another candidate. Impossible for me to have an opinion on this guy as I don't know anything about him. But it would be a bold appointment and must have impressed people at CCFC if so.

A plus would be we would save in wages and therefore could tie down Velikonja to a longer contract.

I believe your last paragraph is complete bollocks.
    If David Silva was playing behind Alex Revell then he could put through a thousand defence splitting passes but Revell wouldn't read one of them so the stats would say that Silva created nothing.

Anyone who has played football at any level will know that they have played with certain players who they have clicked with whereas they were on a completely different wavelength to others and this can't be measured by stats.

I wake up in the morning and put sky sports news on and I have that guy standing in front of a screen telling me why Newcastle went down cos they only committed 53% successful tackles ffs. Show me some football. It's not NFL. Stats like that are for people who haven't got a clue in my opinion.
    You would look at the chances created stat, as well as the assist stat.

What will happen is you will notice statistical anomalies in league systems through out the world, a player might be making more tackles, covering more distance, creating more chances and goals. You then go and take a look at that player and make a second judgement.

You cannot asses the likelyhood of players clicking, however you can assess that a player who is good in the air may click with a player who is good at crossing, so you start by looking for players with these attributes rather than employing a scattergun approach

You would look at the chances created stat, as well as the assist stat.

What will happen is you will notice statistical anomalies in league systems through out the world, a player might be making more tackles, covering more distance, creating more chances and goals. You then go and take a look at that player and make a second judgement.

You cannot asses the likelyhood of players clicking, however you can assess that a player who is good in the air may click with a player who is good at crossing, so you start by looking for players with these attributes rather than employing a scattergun approach

I don't see it as a scattergun approach though mate. You build up contacts and have scouts in different countries and then you assess what players would be suitable for your team. I don't think this is rocket science just people who know their football.

I could have told you a long time ago (I often said it to my mates after our promotion season) that Trippier, Matt Ritchie, Danny Ings, Callum Wilson and others would play at the highest level.
    These players would have cost next to nothing at the time yet we spent on Cornelius etc who probably had good stats in Denmark!

I trust Polo's judgement on players and I'll be watching out for the lad Sawyer from Walsall after he said the other day.

I don't see that as inevitable at all, and I also don't see how you reach the conclusion about gunnar and whitts.
    It should be just a tool to inform your decision better. If it is reducing creativity then you aren't using it correctly.

I don't see that as inevitable at all, and I also don't see how you reach the conclusion about gunnar and whitts.
    It should be just a tool to inform your decision better. If it is reducing creativity then you aren't using it correctly.
    Ultimately mate you and I are completely polarised in our opinions, it doesn't mean any of us are necessarily wrong but we have completely different views about the game.

Ultimately mate you and I are completely polarised in our opinions, it doesn't mean any of us are necessarily wrong but we have completely different views about the game.
    Yeah that's fair enough, each to their own.
    I find it interesting though that you point to whitts and Gunnar in midfield, or the signing of corneli as a result of reliance on stats, when there is no evidence to suggest that had anything to do with it.
    For all we know too little use of good data could have been the problem in both cases.

I don't see it as a scattergun approach though mate. You build up contacts and have scouts in different countries and then you assess what players would be suitable for your team. I don't think this is rocket science just people who know their football.

I could have told you a long time ago (I often said it to my mates after our promotion season) that Trippier, Matt Ritchie, Danny Ings, Callum Wilson and others would play at the highest level.
    These players would have cost next to nothing at the time yet we spent on Cornelius etc who probably had good stats in Denmark!

I trust Polo's judgement on players and I'll be watching out for the lad Sawyer from Walsall after he said the other day.
    The main idea comes from the fact that the UK market is more expensive than the European market.

So the plan is to find the next Mahrez, rather than to find and develop the next UK youngster, so to have a range of scouting covering the entire European continent would involve a rather scatter gun approach.

On that basis, you need to establish what players and in what leagues you want to start in.

Bring back O.G.S tactical mastermind

Phew, at least it's not the Kazakhstani Work Experience Kid.

People will be begging for Slade to come back down to the dugout before September.

I'm all for young coaches, but 31? Hasn't been around the league much and zero management experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm all for young coaches, but 31? Hasn't been around the league much and zero management experience.
    About the same age as Andre Vilas Boas when he took his first management position.