+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Mike Roderick. 'The Voice of Reason'

RIP Mike Roderick. 'The Voice of Reason'

Sadly, on the weekend, we lost messageboard user and massive City fan Mike Roderick who posted as 'The Voice of Reason'.

Mike held strong opinions on the rebrand and was instrumental in setting up some of the early Keep Cardiff Blue campaigns.

He had been poorly for just a short time.

Mike had been keeping a blog in recent months as he thought he might have cancer. But he was given the all clear only to have other complications with his respiratory system. His last entry was less than seven days before he died.

His family updated the blog on Sunday.

Finally off the rollercoaster

This blog is being written by Jen, Elis, Ceri & Carys, as opposed to Mike, so please forgive our lack of eloquence, he was the wordsmith in the family.

It is with deep, deep sadness that we have to tell you that Mike passed away peacefully this morning at about quarter past two. The hospital rang Jen as 2am, and within half an hour the four of us arrived at Llandough, but he had died before we got there.

The shock at the speed of this illness and the plummet in health that Mike experienced in this past week has floored us all, but we are just so grateful that it was not a long, drawn-out affair resulting in discomfort and poor quality of life that could have been a scenario.

Yesterday, Saturday, will be a day we will always cherish. Sedated, Mike slept for most of the morning, but at one point in the afternoon he opened his eyes and summoned us round. We did so, pulling the curtains around us. He then proceeded to talk to us, slowly, but confidently, for about an hour. He was clear, lucid and authoritative, telling each of us individually how much we meant to him and setting out his wishes and plans for our futures. We in turn were able to tell him how much we appreciated him as a husband and father and to say thank you for all that he has done and represented for us. It was highly emotional, but one of the most special times we have spent as a family. To be all together, the five of us again, with Mike at the helm, was so precious and each of us have drawn such comfort from that memory.

We would like to thank you all for your love, concern, care and of course the many prayers that you have given us over the last 2 months. Whilst at the moment things are very raw for us, we confidently knew that Mike’s last laboured breath on earth this morning, was his first in Heaven with his beloved Jesus whom he had such a close walk with throughout his life. We are confident and comforted that he now has the new set of lungs that he always wanted.

Love,

Mike is pictured below with his family.

29d_0171.jpg

Re: RIP Mike Roderick. 'The Voice of Reason'

I only got to know Mike a few weeks ago when he kindly responded to my post on here requesting tickets for the Wales games in France next month.
    When I met him at the CCS to collect the tickets he offered me, free of charge, the spare bed in the twin room he had booked in Bordeaux for the duration.
    He was obviously a very generous and thoughtful man.

What a moving blog, particularly reading about the special afternoon the family was able to spend together.

A very respected poster. RIP

RIP Bluebird.

Rip Bluebird

I got to know Mike in the early days of the Trust when he was prepared to put in a lot of "unglamorous"work on the membership side. I liked Mike and I think the feeling was mutual, but that bloody rebrand meant that things changed for the worse between us as I got the distinct impression that he was surprised and disappointed by my "reluctant red" point of view. It took a while, but I eventually realised that my initial opinion on the change of colour was wrong and I had a lot more in common with Mike's position than I first thought - the damage had been done between us though to the extent that Mike's messages to me as the Voice of Reason in the last two or three years still carried that air of him feeling let down by me.

News of Mike's passing, far too early, really does bring home to me the damage caused by the idiotic change to red on so many levels because I'm sure he had closer and longer friendships than the one he had with me that were never the same again after the pointless and divisive change. Nevertheless, news like this also emphasise that there are much, much more important things in life than the colour your football team plays in.

RIP Mike, I didn't know you for long, but it was clear to me that you were a good man - sincere condolences to all of your family and friends.

I fell out with mike on an away trip to Pompey when I told him the rolling stones were crap compared to Sabbath

Attended the first meeting at the ninian after news of the rebrand broke , i am sure mike was there

Could start an argument in a telephone box but a true bluebird

Rest in peace

Rip

RIP. Seemed a really solid bloke. Lovely blog and fine words from tbg and tobw.

RIP Bluebird.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What a moving blog, particularly reading about the special afternoon the family was able to spend together.

A very respected poster. RIP
    I guess that's something we'd all like - a chance to say goodbye properly to the people that matter.

RIP bluebird.

RIP, Christian brother.

RIP

RIP

Shocked to hear of the news, RIP Mike

RIP Bluebird.

RIP Bluebird.

I exchanged a few messages with him on here, always seemed city through and through

RIP

Condolences to Mike's friends on here. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Sadly, on the weekend, we lost messageboard user and massive City fan Mike Roderick who posted as 'The Voice of Reason'.

Mike held strong opinions on the rebrand and was instrumental in setting up some of the early Keep Cardiff Blue campaigns.

Mike had been keeping a blog in recent months as he thought he might have cancer. But he was given the all clear only to have other complications with his respiratory system. His last entry was less than seven days before he died.

This blog is being written by Jen, Elis, Ceri & Carys, as opposed to Mike, so please forgive our lack of eloquence, he was the wordsmith in the family.

It is with deep, deep sadness that we have to tell you that Mike passed away peacefully this morning at about quarter past two. The hospital rang Jen as 2am, and within half an hour the four of us arrived at Llandough, but he had died before we got there.

The shock at the speed of this illness and the plummet in health that Mike experienced in this past week has floored us all, but we are just so grateful that it was not a long, drawn-out affair resulting in discomfort and poor quality of life that could have been a scenario.

Yesterday, Saturday, will be a day we will always cherish. Sedated, Mike slept for most of the morning, but at one point in the afternoon he opened his eyes and summoned us round. We did so, pulling the curtains around us. He then proceeded to talk to us, slowly, but confidently, for about an hour. He was clear, lucid and authoritative, telling each of us individually how much we meant to him and setting out his wishes and plans for our futures. We in turn were able to tell him how much we appreciated him as a husband and father and to say thank you for all that he has done and represented for us. It was highly emotional, but one of the most special times we have spent as a family. To be all together, the five of us again, with Mike at the helm, was so precious and each of us have drawn such comfort from that memory.

We would like to thank you all for your love, concern, care and of course the many prayers that you have given us over the last 2 months. Whilst at the moment things are very raw for us, we confidently knew that Mike’s last laboured breath on earth this morning, was his first in Heaven with his beloved Jesus whom he had such a close walk with throughout his life. We are confident and comforted that he now has the new set of lungs that he always wanted.

Love,

29d_0171.jpg
    Mike was a really top bloke who would go out of his way to help anyone , whether he agreed with their opinions or not.

I am not at all religious , which Mike clearly was, but in my view he represented everything a proper "Christian" attitude should be.

Blog Entries

Very sad news, RIP Bluebird x

RIP fellow bluebird.

International (over 7000 posts) dr_socks's Avatar

Such Sad News, Condolences to Family and Friends, RIP My Fellow Bluebird.

Dear Jen, Elis, Ceri and Carys,

How shocked I am by this news. It has come to me like a bolt of lightening and left me saddened.

Mike was a good man, a man I had the privilege of meeting only a few times, but he has left a lasting impression with me of the love he had for his Lord and his single mindedness to serve Him with every fibre of his being.

The last time we met, a few short weeks ago before a City home game, we shared a precious time together. It was not for the amount of words we spoke, though words of faith were spoken, but rather the hug we had in the Lord. He, pleased about a good medical report and encouraged me; me so pleased to have met up however fleetingly.

At our brief encounter I spoke of a word the Lord gave me: 'From Distress to Delight,' from Ps 118:5. As asked, I had pleasure in sending that to Mike via email and I received a most generous response back.

Though full of faith for the future, how tragic the sudden events of this morning. For Mike, the distress his condition brought are now but a memory for us as he rests in the delightful presence of his Lord. We can, indeed all say, 'Hallelu Yah!'

Many years ago I heard a preacher who took as his sermon title: 'Though Dead still Speaks.' Though Mike's abode has changed his life we knew here on earth still speaks to us so eloquently of love for His Lord and family and friends.

As we parted company in Costa's last month we had made plans to meet up this summer. Now that meeting will have to be delayed until heaven. It was a real pleasure to have known Mike and that eternal meeting in heaven will be too. No more talking of Cardiff City there then, only worshipping the Lord.

My prayers are with you all,
    Steve.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Love,

29d_0171.jpg
    Ah, how terribly sad. Condolences to his family, his friends, and all who knew him.