+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 20 minutes in the job, bing bong where has he gone??

20 minutes in the job, bing bong where has he gone??

Started a young lad this morning to assist us in the workshop. To be fair he wasn't really qualified, but he said he had plenty experience and was willing to learn, in fact he said he had been running his own business out in his front drive for the last 5 years .
    He rang me yesterday and I asked him to come in this morning and we would see the level he was at.
    The first alarm bell went of when he asked my fitter how on earth you could ever do a cam belt on a 1.9 tdi Audi we had the bonnet open on. (One of the easier cam belts to do on modern cars)
    I had said to my mechanic I would get the lad to do the exhaust gasket on my 1990 mini cooper which is fairly souped up and you cant really see the exhaust manifold never mind take it off.
    The bonnet is quick release which gives good access to the engine if not the manifold, so I pulled it off and his face dropped .
    He said to my main mechanic he was going to get something from his car and jumped in and shot off never to be seen again. Started at 8 gone by 20 past.

Can anyone beat the 20 minute job?

Re: 20 minutes in the job, bing bong where has he gone??

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Started a young lad this morning to assist us in the workshop. To be fair he wasn't really qualified, but he said he had plenty experience and was willing to learn, in fact he said he had been running his own business out in his front drive for the last 5 years .
    He rang me yesterday and I asked him to come in this morning and we would see the level he was at.
    The first alarm bell went of when he asked my fitter how on earth you could ever do a cam belt on a 1.9 tdi Audi we had the bonnet open on. (One of the easier cam belts to do on modern cars)
    I had said to my mechanic I would get the lad to do the exhaust gasket on my 1990 mini cooper which is fairly souped up and you cant really see the exhaust manifold never mind take it off.
    The bonnet is quick release which gives good access to the engine if not the manifold, so I pulled it off and his face dropped .
    He said to my main mechanic he was going to get something from his car and jumped in and shot off never to be seen again. Started at 8 gone by 20 past.

Can anyone beat the 20 minute job?

It's glaringly obvious reading between the lines that the boy is far to skilled to bother trying to teach a bunch of old duffers new tricks.

So to avoid embarrassing you he took the dignified route. Well done to the lad.

We had a girl being shown around the site for a job working in the clean room, as soon as the manager said the workers aren't allowed to wear makeup in the clean room she turned around and walked out mid sentence.

Nugent lasted about 30 seconds as a moderator on here before I realised what a dumbass stupid idea that was.

A girl in my work lasted 5 minutes started the job then said actually it's not for me and walked out

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Nugent lasted about 30 seconds as a moderator on here before I realised what a dumbass stupid idea that was.

Quote Originally Posted by gnasher View Post
    It's glaringly obvious reading between the lines that the boy is far to skilled to bother trying to teach a bunch of old duffers new tricks.

So to avoid embarrassing you he took the dignified route. Well done to the lad.
    Possibly...or more likely he thought dreaming about being a mechanic wasn't quite the same as the reality.

Feedback

I bet a few on here have been on the job and lasted less than 30 seconds.

At least I lasted a whole day in the two shortest jobs I ever had: carrot topping on a farm and assembling cardboard boxes in a meat factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    At least I lasted a whole day in the two shortest jobs I ever had: carrot topping on a farm and assembling cardboard boxes in a meat factory.
    They gave you the chop?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    just had to check if i was still a mod then just incase i laughed at the wrong time

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Punman View Post
    They gave you the chop?
    No, I packed it in myself.

International

I have heard that more than one boy has tried to pack it in himself, but apparently generally speaking it just isn't big enough.

Did you tell him the hourly rate beforehand Jimmy?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
    Did you tell him the hourly rate beforehand Jimmy?
    we had agreed a daily rate. He blagged it and got found out bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Possibly...or more likely he thought dreaming about being a mechanic wasn't quite the same as the reality.

Or not realising the Mini bonnet was quick release, he saw you rip it off and got scared of the mad Scottish bloke who had no respect for peoples cars.