+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trollope - its official

Re: Trollope - its official

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Still not convinced that there was ever more than the one genuine candidate. Maybe Wales will do something to help boost season ticket sales or a new signing could capture the public imagination, but I don't see many rushing down there to get their tickets for 16/17 because Paul Trollope is in charge.

If it is made official at noon as that report says, I wonder if Trollope will be speaking to the media? I've been trying to think of an example of Trollope speaking in public since he came here and can't - now and again, Scott Young would take a pre or post match press conference instead of Russell Slade, but I can't recall Trollope doing it.

I'm pretty sure there's no problem, because it would have surely come to light during his five years at Bristol Rovers, but a good media presence would help with an appointment which is not going to get overwhelming approval.

Anyway, here's hoping he does a great job at City and congratulations to him on his appointment - assuming the BBC are right of course.
    Just heard his interview on CC World, and he comes across very well, more impressed with him than Russell in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Just heard his interview on CC World, and he comes across very well, more impressed with him than Russell in that department.

I'd be more impressed with Sloth from the Goodies than Slade in that department.

Bellamy as assistant would make sense if he could keep him under control

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Good to see we'll be going the same way with trollope as we did with slade. Slag him off for everything at every opportunity and have grown Middle aged (and older) calling him a **** all game.

We must at times have the most classless fan base in the league. Self entitled, spoilt morons.

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Hopefully he will have some influence on bringing some young welsh players to the club from the Welsh set up.

Just hope the fans give him a chance
    That was my thinking , he is part of a successful Welsh coaching team, give him a chance , lets hope he builds a club side with Welshman involved, and he oversee's the development of youngsters into that team

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    It was argued that the guy has more experience than Mackay when he came.

He probably has improved since his Rovers days but he hasn't worked in a managerial role since, so the only way of judging how capable he is of performing when given full control over tactics and team selection is through looking at his previous experience at Rovers.

When he was at Rovers he got promoted through the play-offs and was then unable to do anything in League One. He has now been given a role as first team coach/manager in a team that is expected to get promoted from the championship. If Slade, who has experience of managing a team at the top of League One, was unable to take City forward, I can't imagine what they think Trollope is going to offer. They must have seen things that would make them believe he has immproved considerably as a manager since his days at BR.

If you were a betting man you would take his previous experience into account, regardless of how irrelevant others might feel it to be. That, coupled with the fact the guy hasn't manged since wouldn't fill me with confidence. I wouldn't be willing to risk losing more than a tenner.

That said, if it were Bellamy, or even Rowberry I'd put twenty quid on getting promoted. And if it were Pulis or Pearson , I'd wage 50 pounds on promotion.

I have been wrong in the past about managers but I just don't really see how Trollope is going to add that little bit extra in order to get us promoted.......because at the end of the day, that is what the Malaysians will expect. Add to that the fact that Villa, Norwich and Newcastle will be very,very strong and will almost certainly take the top two promotion spots and one of the play-off spots, Trollope will be up against it from the get go.

Tan, whether he likes it or not, needs a manager that at the very least will offer some fresh impetus, and he'll need to fork out 20 million on a combination of one central defender, midfielder and a striker if he wants promotion. It might sound simplistic or obvious, b considering the strength of the relegated sides and the clout that some other championship sides have, trying to be "smart" about it probably won't work.

I like the idea of continuity but I think the manager needs to have something special about him. If you looks the types of teams who have stuck to a patient, considered approach (Bournemouth/Swansea) They had managers that had something about them.

Nobody knows what will happen obviously. It just doesn't FEEL like that right sort of appointment.
    So if you were a betting man you take experience into account and you would only put 10er on Trollope getting us promoted yet you would put 20 on James Rowberry who has zero experience?!?!
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 18-05-16 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Cardiff City Online ‏@CardiffCityLive 2m2 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Scott Young will NOT be part of Trollope's backroom staff and will leave his first team role
    Bellars approaching ??

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Bellars approaching ??
    Would love it

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'd be more impressed with Sloth from the Goodies than Slade in that department.

Goodies :---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAmx_XdQky8

Goonies :---https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/goonies/images/e/e6/Sloth.jpg/revision/latest%3Fcb%3D20110803231321&imgrefurl=http://goonies.wikia.com/wiki/Sloth&h=366&w=363&tbnid=MnRIvWegvJWg_M:&tbnh=160&tbnw=159&docid=fYdGfsEHOobBeM&usg=__iOM2zV0oHhqVR6Ptno_bVU8FKTc=&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwidmP6qlOTMAhUmL8AKHZoDDY4Q9QEIIDAA

Looks more like Ian Dowie every day.
    Last edited by BLUETIT; 18-05-16 at 17:38.

I think this is the end of his time with Wales which is massively disappointing considering how good he is as a coach and how many personal changes we've had since Euro's qualification began. Perhaps we'll seeTrollope's role reduced and Kit Symons come back in?

Scott Young departing will be welcome news to many however in commenting on it we should recognise how much he has given this club, how he has done a good job in many different roles (as he will when he is granted a new position) and stepped up when we didn't want to spend on a proper backroom staff. Slade basically had to work with coaches still in their nappies and hopefully this is a step towards a more experienced backroom team.

Tollope doesn't have a bad personal statement as a prospective manager. How many others have experience of premier league football, European club football, International football, experience of winning promotion and has great knowledge of where this club is and needs to go? Technically he's never been relegated. Despite this I still think I'd prefer him to remain part of the coaching side, especially as we need a manager who can identify and attract cheap, talented players with the further restrictions on spending.

Further restrictions on spending! Under Slade and now Trollope fans have been told to expect spending restrictions but it all stems from Malky's first year and the wild, pointless spending Tan demanded following his rebrand. This club would have been, and would continue to be be, so much more stable and prosperous without it. Of course fans don't want to mention that any more but it seems cruel that we are still paying the price for something no one wanted in the first place. Even if we were just continuing to live within the budget Slade was set we could make savings and fans wouldn't wonder what else will be cut.

Nice to see Trollope getting the Slade treatment and justly slated before his first game.

CLUBZ AH JOOOOKE

Blue in the Face

Hey Surge. I liked your long post. Can you just elaborate on the last part. Perhaps your privy to info I haven't come across yet...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Further restrictions on spending! Under Slade and now Trollope fans have been told to expect spending restrictions...

.... Even if we were just continuing to live within the budget Slade was set we could make savings and fans wouldn't wonder what else will be cut.
    Is there any new news on the budget?

I don't think I'm a blind optimist, but I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic than most it seems. The Let Immers signing, fee and contract, would've been some layout. So surely this alone before the transfer window is even open is a good sign of ambition?

If the rhetoric coming from the club is that we are not going to spend loads then I'm happy to a degree. We've worn a "come rip us off" sign in the past. Hopefully from now on we will make far fewer signings on the right quality.

If the rumours of Tan getting involved with player recruitment in the past is right, then this must come to an end. All the deadwood we have acrued under the past three regimes is holding us back in regard to building a quality squad while meeting the FFP restrictions.

But Tans colossal debt to equity conversion recently should not be forgotten. Anyone who says VT doesn't want us back in the PL at some stage is seeing things very differently to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    So Slade is still in charge really?
    Yes. Darts and sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    So if you were a betting man you take experience into account and you would only put 10er on Trollope getting us promoted yet you would put 20 on James Rowberry who has zero experience?!?!
    There ARE other factors. Experience is obviously not essential as we've seen on many occasions.

The difference with Trollope is that he has had a go and hasn't done anything better than average IMO. That much is certain.

Rowberry is Welsh firstly. He is also a (genuinely) young manager and I just get the feeling that the team might work well alongside someone of comparable age instead of having an 'authority figure'. I would imagine he'd be mega keen to impress in his first job at such a relatively high level of football as well. Unknown quantities can work well.

I don't get the same vibes about Trollope........ but neither would have been my first choice.

Would you have prefered Trollope over Rowberry ?

Rowberry is not a young manager he's never managed anyone?!?And "he's Welsh"?'!? What's that got to do with anything? Paul Trollope is a Welsh international?!?
    I think to describe Paul Trollopes managerial career as average is extremely harsh.
    Hes won a promotion for starters.
    Something Slade never did.

Absolutely I prefer Trollope over Rowberry.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 18-05-16 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Rowberry is not a young manager he's never managed anyone?!?And "he's Welsh"?'!? What's that got to do with anything? Paul Trollope is a Welsh international?!?
    I think to describe Paul Trollopes managerial career as average is extremely harsh.
    Hes won a promotion for starters.
    Something Slade never did.

Absolutely I prefer Trollope over Rowberry.

What's your thoughts on Trollope mate.
    I think I'm disappointed cos I genuinely thought it was Bellamy's time.

However I think Trollope will do a good job and he's certainly a massive step up from Slade's.

He commands respect in the Football world and I hope he puts a more attacking and fluid stamp on the football early doors so he can win the fans over.

I noticed in his short interview today how he alluded to different philosophies and how he would look to be more tactically flexible giving a strong hint that he was hamstrung by Slade.

I know your dissapointed cos of Bellamy but I'm happy with Trollope.
    I dont think promoting from within is a bad thing. He will already know which players he wants and doesn't want so that will save time.
    Totally agree he was hamstrung by Slade. Having been his own man plus worked with Chris Hughton and premier league players, and superstars like Bale I can only imagine his frustration working with Slade and I hope the players respond to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Hey Surge. I liked your long post. Can you just elaborate on the last part. Perhaps your privy to info I haven't come across yet...

Is there any new news on the budget?

I don't think I'm a blind optimist, but I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic than most it seems. The Let Immers signing, fee and contract, would've been some layout. So surely this alone before the transfer window is even open is a good sign of ambition?

If the rhetoric coming from the club is that we are not going to spend loads then I'm happy to a degree. We've worn a "come rip us off" sign in the past. Hopefully from now on we will make far fewer signings on the right quality.

If the rumours of Tan getting involved with player recruitment in the past is right, then this must come to an end. All the deadwood we have acrued under the past three regimes is holding us back in regard to building a quality squad while meeting the FFP restrictions.

But Tans colossal debt to equity conversion recently should not be forgotten. Anyone who says VT doesn't want us back in the PL at some stage is seeing things very differently to me.
    I don't think it matters so much when the transfers happen if we're judging ambition - negotiating all summer for Troy Deeney or spending quickly on Akinfenwa - but it would suggest the continuity is allowing for us to make our plans early and start putting together pieces for their fruition.

While I went to bed fairly certain on how much we're spending (and I recognise that we can do wonders on a restricted budget if you have the right manager and right support structure) because of a Walesonline article about there being more lean times to come I wake up to see Dalman is saying on the BBC that this appointment doesn't mean spending restrictions and could be very expensive - that could mean several different things but the article did suggest we'd spend in the market moreso than under Slade. Perhaps a reread of a third article will make more sense of things.

Malky first season was all about doing it differently to the high-spending, high-risk, ulimtatley low-reward days of DJ's last and we seem to be (thankfully) there again. It's just a pity what has happened in between.

However I think Trollope will do a good job and he's certainly a massive step up from Slade's.

He commands respect in the Football world and I hope he puts a more attacking and fluid stamp on the football early doors so he can win the fans over.

I noticed in his short interview today how he alluded to different philosophies and how he would look to be more tactically flexible giving a strong hint that he was hamstrung by Slade.

Gringo
    Bellamy has made it clear in public a few times he could not work under tan so he was always a non starter for the job

Spot on . Exactly what I had been told towards the end of the season .

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't think it matters so much when the transfers happen if we're judging ambition - negotiating all summer for Troy Deeney or spending quickly on Akinfenwa - but it would suggest the continuity is allowing for us to make our plans early and start putting together pieces for their fruition.

While I went to bed fairly certain on how much we're spending (and I recognise that we can do wonders on a restricted budget if you have the right manager and right support structure) because of a Walesonline article about there being more lean times to come I wake up to see Dalman is saying on the BBC that this appointment doesn't mean spending restrictions and could be very expensive - that could mean several different things but the article did suggest we'd spend in the market moreso than under Slade. Perhaps a reread of a third article will make more sense of things.

Malky first season was all about doing it differently to the high-spending, high-risk, ulimtatley low-reward days of DJ's last and we seem to be (thankfully) there again. It's just a pity what has happened in between.
    Interesting to bring up how we were doing things under Malky in the Championship. Initially at the time, I thought it was a great strategy. No loans and owning all assets that play for the club. Hence benefiting from an inflated re-sale values as we did under Dave Jones many times. But with hindsight, it's clear that where MM and OGS went very wrong was with the contracts. Both over paid players beyond their value to incentivise players to come here. So successful signings or not this method has made it impossible to benefit from high sell on fees.

The key to recruitment from now on should be that we don't sign players with hyped reputations on high wages. We should be looking at the lesser known players and even players who have shown potential but are out of form. I expect us to be looking outside of the domestic market this summer.

Happy to give him a chance.
    I don't think his relegation as Rovers manager should really be taken into consideration considering half his side were sold.