+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash Machines - When did they first start appearing in SW ?

Cash Machines - When did they first start appearing in SW ?

I was born in 1981 so don't remember life without cash machines.

So ye, one for you nostalgoids.

When did people first start using them in the way we do today.

What did people do before that when they were out on the lash and ran out of cash ??

Re: Cash Machines - When did they first start appearing in SW ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I was born in 1981 so don't remember life without cash machines.

So ye, one for you nostalgoids.

When did people first start using them in the way we do today.

What did people do before that when they were out on the lash and ran out of cash ??
    Reg Varney from On the Buses was the first person to use a cash machine.

I would say it was probably early 90's. When I first started earning money about 1989 I used to have to go into a branch to withdraw cash.

In 1981 I was away at uni, and the nearest bank was a two mile walk away. So once a week, I'd walk to the bank, write a cheque and get my cash for the week. When it was gone it was gone.
    I just googled your question, and the first machine was actually opened in 1967, but in the early 80's, from memory, they were only at a few banks, bearing in mind there were only four banks at the time, and the machines were only at banks.

v. early 80's.

I had a Midland Bank (remember them kids?) card that I know for absolute sure that I used to take to the hole-in-the-wall in '82 and I don't think the concept was an absolutely spanking new thing then.

Earliest I can remember is Lloyds on Queen St in 1978. Cash point fully active then

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    In 1981 I was away at uni, and the nearest bank was a two mile walk away. So once a week, I'd walk to the bank, write a cheque and get my cash for the week. When it was gone it was gone.
    I just googled your question, and the first machine was actually opened in 1967, but in the early 80's, from memory, they were only at a few banks, bearing in mind there were only four banks at the time, and the machines were only at banks.
    I googled it as well but couldn't find anything about when they became something 'normal' and available everywhere.

Where did you live shitpeas ? Because early 90's seems really late ....doesn't it!? I can remember the early 90's and don't have any stand-out memories of having to a bank get money. But then again, maybe it wouldn't have registered, not being able to get cash out myself. Then again again, I started secondary school in '92 and am pretty sure I had a little kids HSBC cash card thing by then.

It must have been a right fecker if you were out on a saturday night and things got interesting late on, by which time you'd have spent all your money..... Walk home sad sack.... No kebab.No late-night night-cap with an attractive(or not) young lady/man/lady-man. No lock-ins.

....and they says things were better in the past.

I remember working for Cardiff City Council and travelling around the city in a taxi with payment in cash for council employees in places like Cardiff castle, various leisure/sports centres and in the parks.

I was working for a well kn bank between 1972 and 1981, and they started to become popular around 1980/1. The first one, opened by Reg Varney as said above , was I think in 1967 but people used a paper card with holes in to get out fixed amounts, £5, £10 etc. It was early 80/ when the plastics cards like we have today became popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I googled it as well but couldn't find anything about when they became something 'normal' and available everywhere.

Where did you live shitpeas ? Because early 90's seems really late ....doesn't it!? I can remember the early 90's and don't have any stand-out memories of having to a bank get money. But then again, maybe it wouldn't have registered, not being able to get cash out myself. Then again again, I started secondary school in '92 and am pretty sure I had a little kids HSBC cash card thing by then.

It must have been a right fecker if you were out on a saturday night and things got interesting late on, by which time you'd have spent all your money..... Walk home sad sack.... No kebab.No late-night night-cap with an attractive(or not) young lady/man/lady-man. No lock-ins.

....and they says things were better in the past.
    Having thought about it I do remember my parents having cash cards in the 80's. I used to get paid cash, (£40 a week as an apprentice) in an envelope every Friday so there was rarely any left by Sunday morning so I had little reason to go to the bank anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I was working for a well kn bank between 1972 and 1981, and they started to become popular around 1980/1. The first one, opened by Reg Varney as said above , was I think in 1967 but people used a paper card with holes in to get out fixed amounts, £5, £10 etc. It was early 80/ when the plastics cards like we have today became popular.
    Becoming popular and being able to use them is bit different. Late 70's available in many places in town

Like TH 63 I was away at college in 1981 but I can definitely remember using cashpoints at that time although I seem to recall you could only use the ones of your own bank in the early years. After a few years customers of Midland and Nat West could use both, and Lloyd's and Barclay's had a similar agreement.

I now live a short walk from Barclay's in Enfield town where Reg Varney, as was mentioned further up the thread 'opened' the first one.

I've just realised I've had the same pin number since 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue View Post

My guess would be late 70s. I started college in 1983 and there were cashpoints outside most banks.

How many people on here have had the PIN 1927 at some point or other?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How many people on here have had the PIN 1927 at some point or other?
    Late seventies I reckon was when I first started using them, my bank then was Barclays on the junction of City road/Albany road and they definitely had a cash point in 1979.Ive always had the same pin in all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember working for Cardiff City Council and travelling around the city in a taxi with payment in cash for council employees in places like Cardiff castle, various leisure/sports centres and in the parks.
    Yes, I had to do something similar on the 15th of every month when I worked for Cardiff Magistrates Court in the mid 70s.

As for hole in the wall machines, I started using them when I stopped being paid by Girocheque around 1980/81, but I'm sure they'd been around for a few years before that. What I can remember is that it meant I had to go into town from Companies House if I was short of cash because it was a while before hole in the wall machines found their way out into the "sticks".

International

The first one I can honestly recall was on Morden in S London in Mid-eighties, but I had been out of the country since 1978 sh they could easily be about before that.
    They had to come in when companies stopped paying cash wages and started putting people on Bacs and making them get bank accounts. In those days the local bank still closed its doors about 3 PM, just like on Dads Army. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Agree with this. I worked for a major bank from the early 60's and there was one, at least, in the City Centre at the end of that decade. As you say people were given Punch Cards for set amounts of cash. However, only the most credit worthy customers could apply for these cards so there were not too many issued. It was cutting edge stuff at the time and usage did not expand until computer technology became more widespread. That would have been in the 70's.

I had an " Autobank " card from The Midland Bank in the late 70's.

It was a cardboard thing which allowed you to get £10 out but would only do that 10 times , then you had to get another one.

Very prone to ceasing to work , I remember a Sunday on holiday in North Wales when it failed and we had to get through the day
    on about 50p.

As stated above the norm back then was to go into a bank and cash a cheque. Cheque guarantee cards allowed you to go and do this in banks which weren't where your account was. They came in about 1980 or so.

Remember aswell that all the machines were bank specific. Cards weren't Maestro or Link branded so you had to find your own banks machine . What a pain that was.
    After a while Natwest started accepting Midlands Bank cards which was great cos if you were refused cash at your own banks machine you could use the other as the balances weren't always up to date.

Not sure when it was date wise, but it was just before the banks started sacking staff and closing branches.

Like TH 63 I was away at college in 1981 but I can definitely remember using cashpoints at that time although I seem to recall you could only use the ones of your own bank in the early years. After a few years customers of Midland and Nat West could use both, and Lloyd's and Barclay's had a similar agreement.

I now live a short walk from Barclay's in Enfield town where Reg Varney, as was mentioned further up the thread 'opened' the first one.

I've had the same one since '87.

My missus and kids have the same pin as well - makes things easier (for muggers as well I guess)

My first job after leaving school was on the YTS and I needed a bank account for that, which came with a cash point card. This was 1985. As said above, you'd only see cash point machines at banks.

You don't need to write the word 'number' after the word 'PIN', you know.... as it would mean a 'personal identification number number'.