+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just heard that Ian Gibson passed away yesterday

Re: Just heard that Ian Gibson passed away yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by liam80 View Post
    Reaching 73 is not bad at all. RIP to this guy.
    I bet you won't think like that when you are 73.

I cant say that I ever saw him play, but I've read a lot about him - all of it highly complimentary.

In this thread alone there is a number of long-term, very committed and knowledgeable City fans stating - categorically - that he was the best they have ever seen, or otherwise the City player they enjoyed the most in a lifetime.

That's certainly got to stand for something.

RIP.

He would always be the first name on my all-time Cardiff City team sheet.
    He almost single-handedly made me a City fan. A picture of Gibbo celebrating a goal at Bolton even adorns my living room (I'm a single bloke, so I can get away with that sort of thing) and my replica jersey is a 1971 version with a number 7 on the back. He's one of those players who, if you didn't watch football in the 60s or early 70s, you probably don't know anything about yet, if you ever saw him playing for your team, you will never forget him. To people of a certain age in Middlesborough, Coventry and Cardiff he was an absolute maestro.
    More than forty years after I last saw him play, my eyes stung a bit at the news of his passing.

R.I.P. Ian.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    I remember when he came back from injury and the grange end singing , Ian Gibson are you better , are you well well well to the tune of Alan Prices Rosetta . RIP gibbo

that brought back a few memories thank you

Brilliant player what a shame he has gone! RIP

Just done a tribute to Gibbo on the blog if anyone's interested.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

A very nice read. The blog refers to the cloggers in the 70's and I seem to recall - but could be wrong - that Ian Gibson was a player who hardly ever, if ever, wore shin pads. Perhaps it comes as no surprise that his career in the football league ended prematurely. A fabulous player - definitely my favourite midfielder and probably my favourite player I have witnessed following Cardiff City since the late 1950's.
    Last edited by Vindec; 26-05-16 at 16:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A very nice read. The blog refers to the cloggers in the 70's and I seem to recall - but could be wrong - that Ian Gibson was a player who hardly ever, if ever, wore shin pads. Perhaps it comes as no surprise that his career in the football league ended prematurely. A fabulous player - definitely my favourite midfielder and probably my favourite player I have witnessed following Cardiff City since the late 1950's.
    Best player ever to play for City,only Willie Anderson came close. R.I.P