+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many black families in the US have Welsh surnames?

Why do so many black families in the US have Welsh surnames?

Questions in the title.

Re: Why do so many black families in the US have Welsh surnames?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Questions in the title.
    Never really noticed it. Many slaves took their former 'master's' surname

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytaff View Post
    Never really noticed it. Many slaves took their former 'master's' surname
    Jones, Lewis, Thomas, Williams, Evans, Lloyd, Floyd, Roberts, Hughes to name just a few. I bet you could make a list of hundreds of famous black Americans from that list of names alone.

Oddly, the Welsh weren't big on slave ownership in the US, most of them were Quakers and slave ownership would have been against their ideology.

It's cause they is Welsh isn't it see. Grace Jones often invites Venus Williams round for Bara Brith and a nice cup of tea, look you.

Jones, Lewis, Thomas, Williams, Evans, Lloyd, Floyd, Roberts, Hughes to name just a few. I bet you could make a list of hundreds of famous black Americans from that list of names alone.

Oddly, the Welsh weren't big on slave ownership in the US, most of them were Quakers and slave ownership would have been against their ideology.
    Early Quakers in America had slaves. Later however they were very active in the abolition movement.
    Last edited by Baloo; 25-05-16 at 22:14.

Davis, Davies, Jenkins, Rees...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It's cause they is Welsh isn't it see. Grace Jones often invites Venus Williams round for Bara Brith and a nice cup of tea, look you.
    I likes Brains Daaaaark

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Early Quakers in America had slaves. Later however they were very active in the aboloition movement.
    Well my Google-fu is weak because I haven't been able to find anything to back that up since I became a Welsh immigrant scholar in the last hour.

Well my Google-fu is weak because I haven't been able to find anything to back that up since I became a Welsh immigrant scholar in the last hour.
    Friends of mine are Quakers so I've Googled aplenty.

I've read a few theories saying that following emancipation, particularly in the Northern states, newly freed blacks would take the names of American heroes and founding fathers, of which a large proportion were of Welsh descent.

And since I like that explanation, I will now go around spouting it as fact.

I also found out that William Penn, the founder of the state of Pennsylvania, originally wanted to name his state "New Wales" but was blocked from doing so by the authorities in London. **** those guys.

Friends of mine are Quakers so I've Googled aplenty.
    You aint got no Quaker friends.

Pics or it didn't happen.

You aint got no Quaker friends.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Very liberal, tolerant religious people. I'm sure even Dawkins wouldn't want to offend them.

Very liberal, tolerant religious people. I'm sure even Dawkins wouldn't want to offend them.
    Quakers represent the greatest threat to Western life we have ever faced as a culture. A Quaker would not hesitate to destroy everything you hold dear in advancement of their evil edict.

You may have unwhittinghamly stumbled on something here. This is a map of the state of New York south of Syracuse. The football connection is obvious 'cos a mile or two to the east is the village of Pompey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    You may have unwhittinghamly stumbled on something here. This is a map of the state of New York south of Syracuse. The football connection is obvious 'cos a mile or two to the east is the village of Pompey.
    There's quite a few Cardiff's in the US. And I didn't stumble on the info, I've Immersed myself in it.

Who cares? Get a life. There's children out there fighting for their lives due to taking a day off school and all you're worried about is Welsh surnames?

There's quite a few Cardiff's in the US. And I didn't stumble on the info, I've Immersed myself in it.
    You've Marshalled a few facts, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Who cares? Get a life. There's children out there fighting for their lives due to taking a day off school and all you're worried about is Welsh surnames?
    Have you learned nothing from Croesy? We call them "chocolate people" now.

Have you learned nothing from Croesy? We call them "chocolate people" now.
    How Dairy Milk it like that.

I've often wondered this too. Plenty of black people with the surname Evans and Jones. Could it be that these surnames are not exclusively Welsh? Or if they are perhaps the slave owners ancestry was Welsh but they themselves lived in England where they picked up a taste for keeping slaves.

I can't imagine any Welsh people back in the day would be slavers.

Quakers represent the greatest threat to Western life we have ever faced as a culture. A Quaker would not hesitate to destroy everything you hold dear in advancement of their evil edict.
    I'm not invoking Godwin's Law. I see what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    I've often wondered this too. Plenty of black people with the surname Evans and Jones. Could it be that these surnames are not exclusively Welsh? Or if they are perhaps the slave owners ancestry was Welsh but they themselves lived in England where they picked up a taste for keeping slaves.

I can't imagine any Welsh people back in the day would be slavers.
    I wrote this earlier in the thread:

I've read a few theories saying that following emancipation, particularly in the Northern states, newly freed blacks would take the names of American heroes and founding fathers, of which a large proportion were of Welsh descent.

And since I like that explanation, I will now go around spouting it as fact.
    I think we should henceforth establish this to be the official explanation and repeat it to anyone who'll listen.

Richyrich

I remember reading once that after slavery was abolished a lot of slaves took the surname of the pastor of the church they attended and a lot of these pastors were Welsh. Not sure how true this is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post

I'm confused, what do you think he's stumbled upon? That there were Welsh people in the beginnings of the US and they named things?

International

Perhaps some of them came to Cardiff as freemen crews on boats, as a lot did, took a local name and then they or their children went to the US as free men, just like a lot of the Irish did during the potato famine