+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoddle

Re: Hoddle

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He had shearer and Owen in 1998 both in good form and achieved **** all.
    No thanks to a certain young David Beckham getting sent off for petulance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Here's a little history lesson for Tandy -

Between 1970 and 1996 Chelsea finished in the top half of the top division on 7 occasions. During that period they spent more time in the 2nd tier, even being close to relegation to the third tier in 1982/3. In fact, apart from consistent top half finishes in the 60s, Chelsea have never been one of the big teams in English football until the late 90s.
    The thread is not about Chelsea you dullard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    The thread is not about Chelsea you dullard.
    Did you not suggest that getting Chelsea to 11th " takes some doing"? If the thread isn't about Chelsea, why get involved in discussion about their past? Dullard.

Did you not suggest that getting Chelsea to 11th " takes some doing"? If the thread isn't about Chelsea, why get involved in discussion about their past? Dullard.
    You've got a (half) bee in your bonnet over this Eric. Hoddle didnt do the business with England when it came to the crunch in the 1998 World Cup finals having taken over an England side that had done well in Euro 96. He did well at Swindon but as has been pointed out both Taylor and Toshack achieved similarly in the domestic game but failed at international level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    You've got a (half) bee in your bonnet over this Eric. Hoddle didnt do the business with England when it came to the crunch in the 1998 World Cup finals having taken over an England side that had done well in Euro 96. He did well at Swindon but as has been pointed out both Taylor and Toshack achieved similarly in the domestic game but failed at international level.
    No I haven't.

My only interest was Tandy's nonsense, when he thought getting Chelsea to 11th in the table was no achievement. At the time, it certainly was an achievement.

No I haven't.

My only interest was Tandy's nonsense, when he thought getting Chelsea to 11th in the table was no achievement. At the time, it certainly was an achievement.
    It was my initial comment about them finishing 11th which they did on a few occasions. Hoddle wasn't able to take them beyond a certain point in the League despite spending a fair whack on the likes of Di Matteo,LeBeouf and Petrescu.

It was my initial comment about them finishing 11th which they did on a few occasions. Hoddle wasn't able to take them beyond a certain point in the League despite spending a fair whack on the likes of Di Matteo,LeBeouf and Petrescu.
    Indeed it was. In fairness, 11th, 3 seasons out of 4 was a success for Chelsea at the time, they were that shit.

Indeed it was. In fairness, 11th, 3 seasons out of 4 was a success for Chelsea at the time, they were that shit.
    To be fair they were a decent Cup side but never great in the League but by the time of Hoddle they were a much more high profile club. Who was their chairman who died in a helicopter crash? Matthew something or other.

To be fair they were a decent Cup side but never great in the League but by the time of Hoddle they were a much more high profile club. Who was their chairman who died in a helicopter crash? Matthew something or other.
    Man Utd were a decent cup side under Fergie but never great in the league initially

Hoddle has paid greatly for some "unconventional" methods used while managing England in my view. Hardly surprisingly, his managerial record post England has been pretty ordinary, but the fact he was appointed in the job in the first place surely means that there was a general recognition that he had done a good job up until then despite his lack of trophies.
    I've heard it said that Hoddle had trouble adjusting to working with players who were not capable of doing the sort of things that he could with the ball, but I'm not sure about that - he's always struck me as a good talker on the game and there seems to be a general acceptance that he is a good coach.
    An often forgotten aspect of football management is the ability to be able to improve the players already at your club - I believe Hoddle has done that with many of those he has managed.
    As for what he said about Wales, I wouldn't argue too much with him, but the Aussies caused England quite a few defensive problems last night and I'm not sure they would have won if Bale had been in the opposition.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 28-05-16 at 05:28.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hoddle has paid greatly for some "unconventional" methods used while managing England in my view. Hardly surprisingly, his managerial record post England has been pretty ordinary, but the fact he was appointed in the job in the first place surely means that there was a general recognition that he had done a good job up until then despite his lack of trophies.
    I've heard it said that Hoddle had trouble adjusting to working with players who were not capable of doing the sort of things that he could with the ball, but I'm not sure about that - he's always struck me as a good talker on the game and there seems to be a general acceptance that he is a good coach.
    An often forgotten aspect of football management is the ability to be able to improve the players already at your club - I believe Hoddle has done that with many of those he has managed.
    As for what he said about Wales, I wouldn't argue too much with him, but the Aussies caused England quite a few defensive problems last night and I'm not sure they would have won if Bale had been in the opposition.
    Yes, I thought Australia played most of the decent football last night. England made changes but the Aussies had 6 players out too. Shows what an organised team with competent players can do. Add an x-factor player or two to that and you have a chance of making an impact against most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Great coach sh*t man manager