+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla killed in Cincinnati Zoo yesterday after 4-yr-old falls into enclosure

Re: Gorilla killed in Cincinnati Zoo yesterday after 4-yr-old falls into enclosure

Nice!

Re: Gorilla killed in Cincinnati Zoo yesterday after 4-yr-old falls into enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    It's a ****ing gorilla.
    10,000 gorillas could be shot and turned into shoes for all I care if it means saving a little kids life.
    Last edited by Tall Midget; 01-06-16 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    You'd make a lovely starter.

You'd make a lovely starter.
    It's yer long-lost cousins yer talking abou, Lecter.....

That would be cannabalism......

OH!!!!!!!!!!

In some papers and news channels it's bringing up the child's fathers past I.e his criminal history

The man wasn't even at the zoo when this happened

Also one last point

ITS THE ZOO'S FAULT

HOW THE HELL IS THERE A BIG ENOUGH GAP FOR THE A CHILD TO GET THROUGH IN THE FIRST PLACE

Glad the child was safe

The end

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    It's yer long-lost cousins yer talking abou, Lecter.....

That would be cannabalism......

OH!!!!!!!!!!
    It's all meat.

Despite what that raving veggie poof Morrisey might say.

I think the gorilla would have attacked him straight away,the boy was in there for 10 mins without any harm.Remember a similar thing years ago the only injuries the lad had was when he fell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I think the gorilla would have attacked him straight away,the boy was in there for 10 mins without any harm.Remember a similar thing years ago the only injuries the lad had was when he fell.
    When you look closer at the footage you can see him holding the boys hand and trying to protect him, he dragged him away from all the screaming people, who knows what would have happened, he may not have hurt him deliberately but his obvious strength just from the way he dragged him through the water like a rag doll was a danger to him, it's a shame really but it had to be done.

It's all meat.
    Despite what that raving veggie poof Morrisey might say.
    An amuse-bouche?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36424091

Has anyone else heard that story of mike Tyson wanting to fight a silverback gorilla years ago?
    I remember seeing a thread on a boxing forum years ago where people were genuinely arguing that Tyson could have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Has anyone else heard that story of mike Tyson wanting to fight a silverback gorilla years ago?
    I remember seeing a thread on a boxing forum years ago where people were genuinely arguing that Tyson could have won.
    Quote.

“I paid a worker at New York’s zoo to re-open it just for me and Robin (his wife). When we got to the gorilla cage there was 1 big Silverback gorilla there just bullying all the other gorillas. They were so powerful but their eyes were like an innocent infant. I offered the attendant $10,000 to open the cage and let smash that silverback’s snotbox! He declined.”

Fekin moron.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    When you look closer at the footage you can see him holding the boys hand and trying to protect him, he dragged him away from all the screaming people, who knows what would have happened, he may not have hurt him deliberately but his obvious strength just from the way he dragged him through the water like a rag doll was a danger to him, it's a shame really but it had to be done.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...cincinnati-zoo

Blog Entries

Good read.

This has been doing the rounds on Facebook:

by Amanda O'Donoughue

I am going to try to clear up a few things that have been weighing on me about Harambe and the Cinci Zoo since I read the news this afternoon.

I have worked with Gorillas as a zookeeper while in my twenties (before children) and they are my favorite animal (out of dozens) that I have ever worked closely with. I am gonna go ahead and list a few facts, thoughts and opinions for those of you that aren't familiar with the species itself, or how a zoo operates in emergency situations.

Now Gorillas are considered 'gentle giants' at least when compared with their more aggressive cousins the chimpanzee, but a 400+ pound male in his prime is as strong as roughly 10 adult humans. What can you bench press? OK, now multiply that number by ten. An adult male silverback gorilla has one job, to protect his group. He does this by bluffing or intimidating anything that he feels threatened by.

Gorillas are considered a Class 1 mammal, the most dangerous class of mammals in the animal kingdom, again, merely due to their size and strength. They are grouped in with other apes, tigers, lions, bears, etc.

While working in an AZA accredited zoo with Apes, keepers DO NOT work in contact with them. Meaning they do NOT go in with these animals. There is always a welded mesh barrier between the animal and the humans.

In more recent decades, zoos have begun to redesign enclosures, removing all obvious caging and attempting to create a seamless view of the animals for the visitor to enjoy watching animals in a more natural looking habitat. *this is great until little children begin falling into exhibits* which of course can happen to anyone, especially in a crowded zoo-like setting.

I have watched this video over again, and with the silverback's postering, and tight lips, it's pretty much the stuff of any keeper's nightmares, and I have had MANY while working with them. This job is not for the complacent. Gorillas are kind, curious, and sometimes silly, but they are also very large, very strong animals. I always brought my OCD to work with me. checking and rechecking locks to make sure my animals and I remained separated before entering to clean.

I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.

Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd.

Harambe was most likely not going to separate himself from that child without seriously hurting him first (again due to mere size and strength, not malicious intent) Why didn't they use treats? well, they attempted to call them off exhibit (which animals hate), the females in the group came in, but Harambe did not. What better treat for a captive animal than a real live kid!

They didn't use Tranquilizers for a few reasons, A. Harambe would've taken too long to become immobilized, and could have really injured the child in the process as the drugs used may not work quickly enough depending on the stress of the situation and the dose B. Harambe would've have drowned in the moat if immobilized in the water, and possibly fallen on the boy trapping him and drowning him as well.

Many zoos have the protocol to call on their expertly trained dart team in the event of an animal escape or in the event that a human is trapped with a dangerous animal. They will evaluate the scene as quickly and as safely as possible, and will make the most informed decision as how they will handle the animal.

I can't point fingers at anyone in this situation, but we need to really evaluate the safety of the animal enclosures from the visitor side. Not impeding that view is a tough one, but there should be no way that someone can find themselves inside of an animal's exhibit.

I know one thing for sure, those keepers lost a beautiful, and I mean gorgeous silverback and friend. I feel their loss with them this week. As educators and conservators of endangered species, all we can do is shine a light on the beauty and majesty of these animals in hopes to spark a love and a need to keep them from vanishing from our planet. Child killers, they are not. It's unfortunate for the conservation of the species, and the loss of revenue a beautiful zoo such as Cinci will lose. tragedy all around.

the kids parents are certainly at fault, and yet the gorilla as been shot for following its natural instincts :. the kid should be put in foster care, and the kids parents put in the lion enclosure and see how they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    the kids parents are certainly at fault, and yet the gorilla as been shot for following its natural instincts :. the kid should be put in foster care, and the kids parents put in the lion enclosure and see how they like it.
    Astute and well-considered

Ummmm only one parent was at the zoo you daft twat

Abolish all zoos and put the child into care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Abolish all zoos and put the child into care.
    Abolish all children and put Danny Care in a zoo.

Or make them watch leeds.

Personally I'd take my chances with the lion.

Probably get better conversation.

I think Chris should be in foster care.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I think Chris should be in foster care.
    Care in the community nqat.

Or make them watch leeds.

Personally I'd take my chances with the lion.

Probably get better conversation.
    come on lets get it right here , you would not take your chances with the lion, because the lion would need the muzzle not you,

But then, if your child gets away from you for a second and runs into the road, should the driver who hit him/her get shot for driving down that road?, or should the parents be punished for lowering thier guard for a few seconds?...
    Last edited by Ainsley Harriott; 01-06-16 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    But then, if your child gets away from you for a second and runs into the road, should the driver who hit him/her get shot for driving down that road?
    Chris has a child?

Imagine that!