Thread: Wales Euro 2016 Squad - Final 23

Wales Euro 2016 Squad - Final 23

Hennessey, Ward, Fon Williams;
    Davies, Chester, Collins, Gunter, Richards, Taylor, A Williams;
    Allen, Edwards, King, Ledley, Ramsey, Vaughan, J Williams, G Williams;
    Bale, Church, Cotterill, Robson-Kanu, Vokes

Surprised Huws didn't make the final 23

Re: Wales Euro 2016 Squad - Final 23

I reckon he's got it spot on! Not one player I'd change there.

...and great to see Ledley is coming...makes me happy...

Very surprised there are 7 defenders and not 8 and Huws is extremely unlucky, but he will most definitely be in future squads. I guess Coleman wanted to show his loyalty to players like Vaughan, Church and co. because they aren't going to get another crack.

I think he has done well overall, let's just hope Allen and Ledley are fully fit and we're good to go.

Vaughan is a great squad player - always puts a shift in! Would have been one of the 1st names down after the starting 11 and sub keepers.

Would rather Huws over Edwards & Vaughan but do think they partly had the nod for their commitment to Wales over the years - still not too much in it though and the likes of Huws will play a huge part in future Wales squads

Very happy overall though, not really anything else I'd change

Think huws got very unlucky. I also wouldn;t have taken cotterill, and GW can count himself lucky too. good squad though, can't wait!

Blue in the Face

Agree with Zenith. 5 of the 7 defenders are starters. Not taking 8 is a gamble especially when couple of those midfield names are a luxury to me.

Not anywhere near the squad I would've gone for. But Cookie and Co will have their gameplan with all this thought through. So pob lwc to all those on the plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Very surprised there are 7 defenders and not 8 and Huws is extremely unlucky, but he will most definitely be in future squads. I guess Coleman wanted to show his loyalty to players like Vaughan, Church and co. because they aren't going to get another crack.

I think he has done well overall, let's just hope Allen and Ledley are fully fit and we're good to go.
    Agreed about Huws. I am also surprised about only 7 defenders and think Dummett is unlucky

Blue in the Face

How does this thread have so few comments on it? This is the announcement of the first Wales squad to go to a major tournament in over half a century

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    How does this thread have so few comments on it? This is the announcement of the first Wales squad to go to a major tournament in over half a century
    Because Zenith nailed it in one.

Surprised about Huws.

Loyalty is important, but picking the very best you have available is vital at a Tournament of this calibre.

Though perhaps that is exactly what Coleman believes he has done. He's the gaffer.

Squad look like contenders. Very excited.

Huws only has 6 Wales caps so it's not that much of a surprise he's gone with the more experienced David Vaughan.

I'd have picked Dummett instead of Jazz Richards who couldn't get into what was an awful Fulham defence for much of the second half of the season and I think Huws is very unlucky, I'd have him in for Church (I know that would leave us seriously short of forwards, but if the quality is not there, I don't see much point in picking people just to because they happen to play in that position).
    Still, Coleman got most things right in the qualifying group, so Church will probably end up with two or three goals now!