+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Josh Yorwerth

Josh Yorwerth

After all the fuss last season at the "stupidity" of releasing Josh who was subsequently snapped up by Ipswich Town it appears that it was called about right.

Loaned out by Ipswich for most of the season and now released. Now signed up on a one year deal by league 2 strugglers Crawley Town.

Good luck to the kid but at least it now doesn't look such a bad move by us last year to release him.

http://m.crawleynews.co.uk/Ex-Ipswic...ail/story.html

Re: Josh Yorwerth

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    After all the fuss last season at the "stupidity" of releasing Josh who was subsequently snapped up by Ipswich Town it appears that it was called about right.

Loaned out by Ipswich for most of the season and now released. Now signed up on a one year deal by league 2 strugglers Crawley Town.

Good luck to the kid but at least it now doesn't look such a bad move by us last year to release him.

Good post.

The new Crawley head coach is the excellently named Dermot Drummy. He's been involved with Chelsea's youngsters for a few years and was in charge of their under-21s when they came down here and thrashed our DVP side in 2013. They were so good they even made Velikonja look ordinary. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to League 2. If he can get Crawley playing like that Chelsea side it will be a sight to behold but I reckon he may have to make a few compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Slade left his job having done absolutely nothing to further the career of the young players he inherited when he took over at Cardiff. The release of Yorwerth was symptomatic of this problem which existed throughout Slade's tenure. It looks like Yorwerth may not have made it at Cardiff (although that shouldn't be taken for granted just because he was released by another Championship club from the other side of the country), but, like, so many other Academy products of a certain age, it would have been good to have seen him given an occasional chance to show what he could do in the senior team in the way that so many similar type players were by previous City managers.

Anyway, best of luck to Yorwerth at Crawley.

When a manager's job depends on results and virtually nothing else you can hardly blame Slade or any other manager for not promoting youth. Sadly that is the reality and is why so many players are imported from elsewhere as they are less risky and more developed. Until owners (and not only Vincent Tan) and supporters accept that promoting youth is a facet of management that needs to be encouraged even if results are affected the current trend will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    When a manager's job depends on results and virtually nothing else you can hardly blame Slade or any other manager for not promoting youth. Sadly that is the reality and is why so many players are imported from elsewhere as they are less risky and more developed. Until owners (and not only Vincent Tan) and supporters accept that promoting youth is a facet of management that needs to be encouraged even if results are affected the current trend will continue.
    This is a fair point. The average league manager is in the job for something ridiculous like nine months - why should he risk his job and reputation for someone else to take the benefit further down the line? I'd love to see more local youth coming through but I can completely understand why it doesn't happen.

The well used saying in football, "if he's good enough he's old enough" works the other way too. If Cardiff had recognised his limitations as it appears Ipswich have now too I wouldn't expect the club to give him a try just because he's young

Our last game of the season was played with nothing whatsoever riding on it for either side. Birmingham, like countless other teams in a similar position that weekend, decided to use the occasion as a chance to look at one or two of their youngsters, while Slade did what he did throughout eighteen months of league games and cup matches (which other City managers had used as an opportunity to blood a few Academy products) - relied on a starting eleven where, Tom Lawrence apart, the youngest player was 25!

Stacks of managers up and down the country gave players in their early twenties and teens debuts in competitive matches during the time Slade was here, he didn't do it once. All of those other managers would have known about what a results driven business they were in, but would still have seen that there was a bigger picture involved if their club was to develop in a way which would help his long term job prospects. Slade was all about short termism though and, even when presented with a run of eleven games at the back end of 2014/15 which had as much riding on them as that Birmingham match did, still preferred to pick a Danny Gabbidon counting down the days until his contract here ran out on the bench in front of a younger player - Slade was in a class of his own among the City managers I've seen when it comes to ignoring youth development.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our last game of the season was played with nothing whatsoever riding on it for either side. Birmingham, like countless other teams in a similar position that weekend, decided to use the occasion as a chance to look at one or two of their youngsters, while Slade did what he did throughout eighteen months of league games and cup matches (which other City managers had used as an opportunity to blood a few Academy products) - relied on a starting eleven where, Tom Lawrence apart, the youngest player was 25!

Stacks of managers up and down the country gave players in their early twenties and teens debuts in competitive matches during the time Slade was here, he didn't do it once. All of those other managers would have known about what a results driven business they were in, but would still have seen that there was a bigger picture involved if their club was to develop in a way which would help his long term job prospects. Slade was all about short termism though and, even when presented with a run of eleven games at the back end of 2014/15 which had as much riding on them as that Birmingham match did, still preferred to pick a Danny Gabbidon counting down the days until his contract here ran out on the bench in front of a younger player - Slade was in a class of his own among the City managers I've seen when it comes to ignoring youth development.
    I remember very well the selection of Gabbidon on the bench at the end of the 2014/15 season instead of a younger player. At that time the obvious choice would have been Tom James. I heard from sources close to Tom ( his mum !) that he was not going to be offered a new contract at the end of this season and he would have to look for another club as Slade did not rate him. Interestingly, when the retained list was published he was among the DVP names who had been offered a contract extension which is good news. Perhaps one can read into this that those in the club with more of an eye on the future and concern for the youth structure of the club had the input into the DVP/U21 retained list and not the outgoing Slade.

Playing one game at the end of a season hardly qualifies as giving youth a chance. However, if a youth filled team lost heavily that could be the last straw for any manager given the fragility of the post a manager occupies.

Supporters like to see young players come through but as soon as a team starts losing they turn and blame the manager. I can't blame any manager for playing it safe.

Playing one game at the end of a season hardly qualifies as giving youth a chance. However, if a youth filled team lost heavily that could be the last straw for any manager given the fragility of the post a manager occupies.

Supporters like to see young players come through but as soon as a team starts losing they turn and blame the manager. I can't blame any manager for playing it safe.
    So, where did Slade "playing it safe" get him? Sacked, because that's what he was in reality, with the club owner reportedly unhappy about the lack of opportunities given to younger players during his time in charge.

Playing one game at the end of a season certainly does qualify as giving youth a chance when you compare it to the alternative offered by Russell Slade.

It'll be fascinating to see how Slade does at Charlton if he goes there because their Under 21s won the league City competed in this season and their Under 18s won the end of season Play Offs competed for by the best sides in the Southern and Northern sections so it sounds like they have some very good youngsters there.

If it wasn't for Declan John, Slade might have been able to get away with his claim that there was no great quality among the youngsters he inherited, but the trouble was among those youngsters was someone who two City managers and an international boss were perfectly happy to pick in the starting eleven in Premier League matches and competitive international fixtures. Declan John definitely had weaknesses to his game at that time, but not to the extent that he should go from playing half a season in the division above the Championship to playing one minutes football in a season in the second tier - having now watched Scott Malone play for City for a year and a half, I'm still waiting to discover what he offers us that Declan John couldn't.

"He played it safe" makes an excellent epitaph for Russell Slade's Cardiff City career actually - after all, this was the man who sent his side out to "stay in the game" at Hillsborough in a match where anything other than a City win meant the end of our season. Credit to him for being a steady pair of hands at a time when the club needed them and eighth in the Championship isn't bad given the budget he had to work with, but he managed his team with an inferiority complex and showed a lack of vision in other areas which I'm pretty certain would have damaged City in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I remember very well the selection of Gabbidon on the bench at the end of the 2014/15 season instead of a younger player. At that time the obvious choice would have been Tom James. I heard from sources close to Tom ( his mum !) that he was not going to be offered a new contract at the end of this season and he would have to look for another club as Slade did not rate him. Interestingly, when the retained list was published he was among the DVP names who had been offered a contract extension which is good news. Perhaps one can read into this that those in the club with more of an eye on the future and concern for the youth structure of the club had the input into the DVP/U21 retained list and not the outgoing Slade.
    I was surprised to see Tom James' name appearing in the list of players to be offered new contracts Enoch, but only because everything I'd seen with the Under 21s for the previous six months or so had indicated that he wouldn't be getting one. I think you could well be right about why he is still at the club because, during Russell Slade's time at the club, he went from being someone who was on the edge of the first team squad (I can remember him being an unused sub for at least one match under Gabbidon and Young) to an occasional sub for the Under 21s.

Maybe Tom James has gone backwards as a footballer in the last two seasons, Tommy O'Sullivan may have too, maybe Josh Yorwerth's game deteriorated in his last season with us, perhaps Rhys Healey has failed to kick on in the last eighteen months as well, then there's Declan John of course, not to mention the likes of Theo Wharton and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb. The only players I can think of in the 18-21 age group when Slade took over whose games have moved forward in the last eighteen months are Joe Ralls, who was an established member of the first team squad then anyway and Deji Oshilaja who has been out on loan at other clubs for the large majority of the time - who else from that age group can be said to have progressed under Slade's management?

Yorweth just sent off for Crawley

In response to TOBW latest developmental post someone has commented that the trialist has not been signed up with Warnock saying akin to "he's not better than what we have". Under Ole first and then Slade did we really consider whether players were better than what he had before signing them up? Yorwerth may not have had enough to step into this level at this point in his career but we spent a lot of money during that period (in wages and signing fees) without improving on what was available and didn't spend wisely enough where we should have been able to.

Slade left his job having done absolutely nothing to further the career of the young players he inherited when he took over at Cardiff. The release of Yorwerth was symptomatic of this problem which existed throughout Slade's tenure. It looks like Yorwerth may not have made it at Cardiff (although that shouldn't be taken for granted just because he was released by another Championship club from the other side of the country), but, like, so many other Academy products of a certain age, it would have been good to have seen him given an occasional chance to show what he could do in the senior team in the way that so many similar type players were by previous City managers.

Anyway, best of luck to Yorwerth at Crawley.
    With the season now filled with dead rubbers, will Warnock be giving youth a chance?

Cardiff are in mid table wilderness. Why isn't Warnock giving youth a chance? Maybe the same reason as Slade?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Cardiff are in mid table wilderness. Why isn't Warnock giving youth a chance? Maybe the same reason as Slade?
    Why are you so interested in who Cardiff select to play ? Any opportunity is a good opportunity
    to deride the club ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Why are you so interested in who Cardiff select to play ? Any opportunity is a good opportunity
    to deride the club ?
    How does this answer the question?

How does this answer the question?
    I would love to see more youngsters given a chance , BUT , I have a bet running that would return £800 odd quid if we finish 11 th or higher , perhaps Neill has a similar bet ?

Blue in the Face

I read an internet rumour that Yorwerth was a bit of a troubled character and had discipline problems. I didn't want to post that before because I can't back this up with anything substantial.

Maybe Slade was right on this one? I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I would love to see more youngsters given a chance , BUT , I have a bet running that would return £800 odd quid if we finish 11 th or higher , perhaps Neill has a similar bet ?
    I am not sure our Neil would get excited over a paltry £800.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I read an internet rumour that Yorwerth was a bit of a troubled character and had discipline problems. I didn't want to post that before because I can't back this up with anything substantial.

Slade is always wrong. Of course Josh Yorweth would have gone on to win 150 Welsh caps, been transferred to Barcelona for £75m and had his own brand of clothing shops if only Slade picked him for that one game against Burton Albion.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

According to Soccerbase you're looking at 1 red card every (just under) 40 senior games thus far.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    According to Soccerbase you're looking at 1 red card every (just under) 40 senior games thus far.
    Hey Surge. I wasn't talking about on the field discipline. Maybe my post was badly written

Good luck to Yorwerth anyway. Hope comes grows into a good player

Perhaps then Cardiff needs to take the lead and look at becoming a club for up and coming promising youngsters.

There was a thread some time back, annoyed that we're not picking up young loan players - whilst that benefits points, it's a short term view.

I can't remember the last time I saw a youngster at Cardiff who looked like they could make it as a first team regular

I'm not sure if you have Cardiff City Player but there were some excellent responses with regard to some of these issues in his pre match press conference today.