+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Airbnb

Airbnb

Anyone booked their french accommodation with them? Or have used them before?

What's the deal. How does it work

Re: Airbnb

Get the app, register. Search for accommodation. Book it. Loads of great bargains to be had. You're staying in someone else's place so you have all the convenience that brings plus, if it's a ladies house you might get to parade around the place wearing her knickers. If that's your sort of thing like.

We've booked all ours through them. Not sure how well it works just yet as we've not got there yet.

In most cases you send the owner an email via the site, they then email you back and you can agree to transfer the money. As mentioned there are some good bargains on there, we've got 10 bed villa with pool in Bordeaux for two days for around £220.

I am couchsurfing in Tours on the way down and in Chateauroux on the way back - and am staying in AirBnB accommodation on both weekends. The website is very easy to use but be aware that Customer Service is all but unavailable and cancellations will result in AirBnB withholding their Service Charge.
    Don't register yet though. Send me your email address by pm and we should both get discount if I send you an introductory email.

All accommadation we are staying at willl be via Air BNB, some brilliant options..
    BUT...
    More than half have already cancelled on us and still not spoken to our hosts in Bordeaux next week!

Had 3 booked and confirmed places later cancelled on me. I would not recommend for Euros.

Everyone else that has used them though loves the site.

If you are looking for Hotels for the Euros, checkout F1 hotels. Not on most comparison sites. Got under £40 a night for Lille and Toulouse this week. Looking £200-400 for any other rooms.

Booked 3 nights accom in Bordeaux a couple of months ago for £85 each. No cancellation since and was in touch with owner yesterday and all good to go.

AirBnb is a great option, better than hotels in many ways and cheaper than booking commercial apartments, cottages, gites etc.
    I have booked a place in Bordeaux for the Euros and have stayed at other AirBnb places in Europe and the UK.
    I have only ever booked an entire place but i know people that have just booked a room in someone's house and that has worked for them, I am less keen on that option.

Used it for Brazil and our accommodation for Euros....keep in dialogue with the owners. We found some amazing appartement very cheap. Been great so far if you do your homework and try to keep to those with good reviews.

I rented my house out during the egg World Cup. Basically no one gets the money till the customer confirms to Air b n b that they are in the house, so it seems fairly safe. I've also stayed in a couple of places and always had a positive experience at a quarter the price of a hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Landaff the rising sun View Post
    I rented my house out during the egg World Cup. Basically no one gets the money till the customer confirms to Air b n b that they are in the house, so it seems fairly safe. I've also stayed in a couple of places and always had a positive experience at a quarter the price of a hotel
    does this have to be declared to the tax men?

Thanks for the replies. In the end I booked a hotel in Paris via booking.com, a decent place in Sacre Coeur

Got a nice little trip lined up.

Thurs: Cardiff - Paris via FGW and Eurostar
    Fri: Paris sightseeing, Download festival (Iron Maiden)
    Saturday: Parisienne breakfast, TGV to Bordeaux, Wales v Slovakia and a night on the lash in Bordeaux
    Sunday: TGV back to Paris. Some chillin out on the streets of Paris before back to Download festival (VIP of course) for Rammstein
    Monday: Eurostar / FGW back to Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    AirBnb work like this - they charge you a booking fee (although you dont know it).
    The person renting you their place has this booking fee deducted.
    AirBnB keep the money until you have left - if you make a complaint AirBnB - will hold on to the money until they decide who is right or wrong.

You never know who you are staying with with AirBnb - could be any old dodgy git. I dont think AirBnB rooms have to comply with any health / safety, fire regs , carbon monoixide alarms etc.

So it's a gamble - you may get lucky and rent Kate Moss's house - or you may get some smelly old dive, with dodgy gas supply and cameras in toilets etc.

If using AirBnb - try and get the owners email or telephone number and book it direct - avoid the commission charge

AirBnB may seem great - but it's a cheap - very cheap date - I'd rather take a tent or stay in a hotel personally.

Ive got a mate who does AirBnb in Canton - I wouldnt trust him to look after my cat for the night let alone me and the family.

If you can always try and get an email or phone number from the owner - and book / pay it direct - they may even drop the asking price

That's not quite right, I use Airbnb to rent my place in Pembrokeshire. I get paid around 24 hours after they arrive. Not a week later. Lots of people I know have used it. I good alt to hotels for city breaks or rural locations where there are no hotels. You get a personal rating from previous guests for all to see so if your dodgy everyone will know about it. Basically, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That's not quite right, I use Airbnb to rent my place in Pembrokeshire. I get paid around 24 hours after they arrive. Not a week later. Lots of people I know have used it. I good alt to hotels for city breaks or rural locations where there are no hotels. You get a personal rating from previous guests for all to see so if your dodgy everyone will know about it. Basically, it's good.
    What happnes if they trash your place? how do you have a garantee?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    We've got to pay a large deposit for the one we are renting.

Common sense is required, if it looks like a scam then it is. I was booking accommodation for a ski holiday and stumbled across a few obviously fake listings that were asking for you to email them directly and pay directly. This was a few years ago so maybe they have got better at banning dubious people. I remember one was absurd though like a 9 bedroom chalet in Chamonix in January with its own bar and an indoor pool for 250 quid a night or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    We've got to pay a large deposit for the one we are renting.
    it was the large damage deposit that made me wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Anyone booked their french accommodation with them? Or have used them before?

What's the deal. How does it work
    I use them a lot and got all my french digs on them. It's my first site I look at when travelling somewhere now.

The deal is you rent directly from a host so places are generally a bit cheaper than hotels. Airbnb hold the cash until after the stay and if no problems then the money is released to the host.

It's a better experience than a hotel imo. Hosts are generally good at being a bit of a guide to the area as well which is handy. You feel more like you're living in the area than being a tourist there.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Airbnb cover it, it means the customers have broken the terms of booking. I also have holiday let insurance. Most people that have booked my place have stayed elsewhere so you can read reviews on them.