+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Belmond Northern Belle Train

The Belmond Northern Belle Train

Went from Cardiff to Chester and back on this train yesterday having been bought the trip as a Birthday present. I wasn't sure what to expect but didn't have high hopes in all honesty. Couldn't have been more wrong.

The train is one of two restored trains which travel on Charter Trips around the UK and the whole day was top class right from start to finish. They're basically the UK leg of the Orient Express and the attention to detail for the carriage, service, food and drink all day was superb. The train was 10 carriages long and looked a bit like something out of Harry Potter from the outside (bar the diesels pushing it either end).

XNTFD_1.jpg

The train took 4 hours each way giving us about 5.5 hours in Chester for a look around. I'd have happily stayed on the train all day but the weather was great and it was necessary to move around for a few hours to digest the food and drink and make room for more on the way back.

It's aimed at the older person more in terms of ambience and price - but if you fancy doing something different for someone on a special occasion then I don't think it's anything you will forget in a hurry. Well recommended.
    Last edited by Penarth Blues; 04-06-16 at 15:34.

Re: The Belmond Northern Belle Train

Saw the train at Cardiff Central last night. Quite impressive sat there at 10 carriages long, and looked rather grand inside with the old-style lamps on the tables and the wallpaper etc.

Re: The Belmond Northern Belle Train

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Saw the train at Cardiff Central last night. Quite impressive sat there at 10 carriages long, and looked rather grand inside with the old-style lamps on the tables and the wallpaper etc.
    Train interior was brand new in 2000 but with old the original marquetry techniques used, etc. The seats looked old fashioned but were like armchairs - really comfortable to sit in, and even properly supported my head when I nodded off for 5 minutes under the weight of too much food and alcohol...

There were loads of people on platform 3 and 4 when we pulled in - what was going on? Looked too many for just the late evening travellers going home?