+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our "national sport".

Our "national sport".

A very interesting listen - apologies if it's been posted on here before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03x62z3

Re: Our "national sport".

Here's the whole programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07djzyv

Wow that was tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Wow that was tedious.
    Really? I very much enjoyed it. As someone who doesn't particularly like rugby it was pretty bang on.

We had 2 welsh internationals in football at our school. We weren't allowed to play football in PE, and our school didn't have a football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Really? I very much enjoyed it. As someone who doesn't particularly like rugby it was pretty bang on.

We had 2 welsh internationals in football at our school. We weren't allowed to play football in PE, and our school didn't have a football team.
    Didn't go to St Illtyds by any chance did you? I had the same during my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Didn't go to St Illtyds by any chance did you? I had the same during my time there.
    Exactly the same in my secondary school, 120 miles further west.
    2 Welsh Football internationals (I. Walsh and later his nephew S. Davies) yet no football allowed in PE, nor therefore any kind of School team .
    Rugby / Cricket / Athletics only.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 06-06-16 at 15:45.

St Illtyds lad here

We had no football allowed when we were in the old St Illtyds, down Splott, then for the first years up that poxy hole in St Mellons/Llanrumney.

We went on strike on sports day and for a few months, the Brothers made us sit in the hall doing other work.

They relented when we were in form 4 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    St Illtyds lad here

We had no football allowed when we were in the old St Illtyds, down Splott, then for the first years up that poxy hole in St Mellons/Llanrumney.

We went on strike on sports day and for a few months, the Brothers made us sit in the hall doing other work.

My brother was involved in starting St Illtyd's first football team, circa 1965/66

St Illtyds lad here

My lad went to St Illtyds in the 80's and they played football and had a school team, which he captained and then went on to play for Cardiff Schoolboys.

St Illtyds lad here

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    My lad went to St Illtyds in the 80's and they played football and had a school team, which he captained and then went on to play for Cardiff Schoolboys.

They also had GIRLS there then !!!

Things & times change, the only football we ever had was in our breaktime and even then it was only with a tennis ball.

As Splott parked stated, there was NO FOOTBALL till about the mid 60's

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A very interesting listen - apologies if it's been posted on here before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03x62z3
    Not heard the second part yet but liked the suggestion in part one that rugby is an "event" and football more of a "process."

Certainly the figures for participation and watching clearly suggest that football is by far the more popular sport, with only the handful of rugby internationals capturing the nations imagination.

Sadly too many of our international egg-chasing cousins spend the rest of the year supporting Man. U., Liverpool, Spurs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Not heard the second part yet but liked the suggestion in part one that rugby is an "event" and football more of a "process."

Certainly the figures for participation and watching clearly suggest that football is by far the more popular sport, with only the handful of rugby internationals capturing the nations imagination.

Sadly too many of our international egg-chasing cousins spend the rest of the year supporting Man. U., Liverpool, Spurs, etc.
    And Leicester, don't forget Leicester!

Well we can see who is the main sport on Saturday. Will people watch the All Blacks game in the morning. Or the Footy in afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Well we can see who is the main sport on Saturday. Will people watch the All Blacks game in the morning. Or the Footy in afternoon.
    The footy! Egg is on Sky and footy BBC.

Things haven't changed that much at some schools.

My lad goes to a Welsh Lang school and they got through to the semi-final of the county football Cup. Not one PE teacher came to the game, even though they were available and a science teacher took the team. They didn't have a kit, so just had to grab a load of different tops that were the same colour.

Anyway they went onto win the cup and the school weren't really that bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    The footy! Egg is on Sky and footy BBC.
    Even if both were on BBC at normal times the footy would win. The reason Rugby appears bigger is because they have something to play for. Welsh Football has not had much to play for. Expect the whole nation to be Footy experts in their daffodil hats in a few weeks.

Another old Illtydian here, football was allowed in the 70's when I was there, but being tall for my age I ended up playing rugby, but the rest of the week was spent playing football on the red gra